Guest viewing is limited

TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary, why don't you ask an Admin to change the title of your thread to reflect your situation now?

You are right about the board being busy. Sometimes I miss an update on a thread because there are so many to read. Keeping up with the board is almost a full time job.

Hope you gt more action soon.
 
Yes, Mary......we'd be happy to change the title of your thread to whatever you like. Any time you post, it bumps forward to the first page. But....since we do have a lot of active members these days, threads can move down the line pretty quickly. I'm glad to see you have had some posts here recently. Please never think that people aren't interested in how you're doing!!! Just look at how many "views" your thread has had and you'll see that's not true. Many times people read and just don't know what to say....so they don't respond.
 
My friends and family were tremendous support throughout my arduous recovery from knee surgery. But for them it's in the past. An 18-month old TKR is not hot news on this forum. Doctors don't have a lot to offer, so far. So even though I'm not suffering greatly, I'm still left with the job of figuring out this knee, and the emotional impact (Minnie calls it devastation, which pretty much nails it) of having a "new" knee that is a lot like the knee I traded in.

It was a big deal for me to agree to surgery. I'm not a great athlete but being able to do physically challenging things is very integral to my personality. I completed a difficult (for me) hike just three days ago but I am still wiped out from it. I'm not adjusting well to this new reality . . .
 
Thanks Mrs. Coachie!!
 
Hi Mary, i don't know where you could better come for caring and understanding than here at Bonesmart. I know you need support, and it may not be obvious that people are reading and caring when they are not posting. It IS hard to keep a thread on the first page! Mine is rarely there, but I go find it when I have something to post, and someone always sees it. Us new folks may not have a frame of reference to give advice, and no one wants to think about that they could be one of the 10%! Going into surgery, it helps to stay focused on the positive. We may not know what to say to someone who has long suffered with a problem that isn't being resolved. That's frank honesty. But that does not mean that you are not being heard when you speak out, that you are not touching us where we feel compassion, and that you and others with ongoing problems don't need to be here at Bonesmart, perhaps most of all. There is always someone here when you reach out, and if no one answers on the first ring, call out again! :friends:
 
Well, perhaps I didn't say it all. Mary, I should also say that I AM interested in the long term trials and tribulations of those still struggling on the road to recovery, because I still need to know that not all recoveries are amazing stories. I will better handle what comes my way to be aware. So while I may not have much help for you, you help me and others. And I am so sorry you are still struggling. Perhaps you will turn a corner in the next six months.
 
Beautifully put, Janet! And so true. Mary, we do NOT cease to care just because your recovery didn't go down the primrose path. You know you have friends here who have struggled just as long as you. They can and do relate to exactly how you feel. I hope you can feel that caring when they post to you!
 
HI Mary,

I can completely relate to your post about feeling left out after so long in recovery, not getting many replies or suggestions, advice. I believe it has to do with the investment it takes to read through a long thread like yours, mine or others to get the full picture of your experiences. I don't believe it is for lack of interest/empathy.

That being said, it doesn't mean we still don't need support, we do. I have my faithful friends who respond when I post, which I greatly appreciate. As you have said, for our friends and family at home, at this stage they are done with the recovery, even though we are far from it. I always feel like I am complaining when in truth, this is a real problem. At 9 months post op from LTKR, missing extension, at 10-12 from straight, and still with pain above my knee, my life I was hoping to gain back, is many light years away. I have scheduled a meeting with my OS on the 31st and will have a heart to heart with him on what i should be doing next. I know that 9 months is still early, but its really not. I have given this knee attention and tried various remedies to no avail. I am frustrated and disappointed. I am sure you feel the same way.

Perhaps there could be a section or tag for chronic after TKR people like us. My tag being MUA, maybe doesn't completely tell my story, but I don't know that TKR would either.

Oh well, just know that as others have said, you are not alone. People do care, and together we can support all those really long, strained recoveries.

My best to you for answers and relief.

Dawn
 
Dawn, That is a good idea- the follow-up, chronic, etc tag because I know I like to keep track and hope for a good outcome for all. This way, a newer thread maybe can be started with a quick summary of the problem and the updates?
Just a thought!
 
Hi Mary,

I wanted to check in with you because I remember being at the point where you are feeling pretty blue about it. I will tell you after my revision I felt a lot better and my whole recovery was much easier than the first time. I eventually got to a place where I could understand why so many TKR patients are thrilled with the results.
Sadly something else has occurred and I am back to being in the category of the 10% who don't do well and I have decided just to live with it for now. I know the idea of revision surgery is scary but it did help me. Please let us know how your second opinions go.

wishing you all the best,
Minnie:friends:
 
Hi Mary, I agree with Janet as well. I am 6 months out, took me that long to not have pain. Now my left is starting. I read plenty posts, but do not always reply.it has to be tough when those around you expect you to be okay by now, and you are not. That is what we are all here for, to help each other through this. Amazing, quick recoveries does not appear to be the norm here for most of us. I think that is why we stumble on this site hoping to find what we are feeling is normal. Soooo, if you need a shoulder, and don't get a response, post again, someone, inc. myself might answer even if just to say hi!! Take care!!!
 
Mary, Good Luck at HSS this week! Hoping for the best for you!
Keep us posted!
 
Well you Jersey girls are pretty thoughtful.

Had my third opinion today, which was at Hospital for Special Surgery with Dr. Michael Parks. Even though he was losing his voice, he gave me so much more info than the gentleman at Mass. General.

But his concusion was the same: I have an unacceptable amount of laxity. He picked up my leg and, steadying the knee in one hand, swung the lower leg from valgus to varus. As a result of this laxity I don't have strength in the bent position. Therefore I still need a raised toilet seat. I cannot trust my leg so many of the activities I used to do have to be done with some adaptation and never without giving my full attention. At the end of the day, I have to build up some strength and motivation to get up out of the chair to go to bed. Getting up is hard.

Another consequence of the laxity is the ligaments are always taking a beating, as is the entire joint capsule. Thus I have a chronic effusion. I feel pressure under the knee cap with certain movements like climbing stairs, and that tight band feeling over the knee cap with other movements, such as descending stairs.

My next step to is get in touch with my primary care physician. But I really want to sit down with my ortho and give him this feedback and see what he has to say about my having a mediocre knee that doesn't require revision, but won't be right unless I do have a revision.

Dr Parks said if I have a revision, he would do anything from simply putting in a thicker spacer, to putting in a more constraining femoral component as well. He said the knee I have is fine and in good shape except for the laxity. But he couldn't say for sure what the revision would entail until they went in. PLUS, unfortunately most likely my arthrofibrosis would be stirred up and I'd have to go through that nightmare again. He said he would manage that by doing MUA early on.

I'm making no decisions right now. I've only had about six months of what I call a normal life, which is what I'm on this earth for. So for now, I need more time enjoying life and doing the things I can do. As I go along, a decision will come to me (I assume).

@Josephine:
 
Mary, i'm sorry normal is so elusive, but i'm glad you got more information. Take the time you need and enjoy what you can!
 
Mary, at least you do now have what appears to be the answer to the problems you've been having and the probable solution. And fortunately you can take your time to make any final decision about what you are willing to and not to do.

I certainly can understand you not wanting to rush into another surgery at this time. And since there are many things that you can do with some modification that you couldn't do before, it makes sense to take time to enjoy those things for the time being.

Your journey has been very instructive and eye opening for many of us. And your determination to get answers has been an inspiration.

Take care, keep posting, and know that we care.
 
Goodness Mary, sounds like you have had a rough time. I do hope that you can enjoy a bit of normalcy and that you are able to make the decisions that you need to make. Hang in there, and know that you are cared for! :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom