TKR Turtle still hoping to cross the finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonya, I've just set up for a consultation to take place. So far I have no "proof" of an infection. I've had one culture done which was negative. So I figure we'll consult with Maale and go from there.

I'm so glad you're stopping in to comment on my thread. Maybe I"ll be lucky and some other reason will be found for my symptoms. But I just have a sneaky suspicion I have a sneaky infection.
 
Maale may take your case even if you don't have an infection. He loves the "baffling" cases no other doctor can figure out.:wink1:
 
Well that is good news about Maale.

After a weekend of feeling depressingly uncertain, the phone rang a little after 8 this morning and it was an appointment secretary from Massachusetts General. I am set up with a recommended ortho for May 1st. Still gonna do the consultation with Dr. Maale however. Yippee!!
 
Today I met with my PCP to have his help creating a plan as my thinking is all over the place. I want my mysterious knee problem solved! He urged me to go to not one but two different orthos whose practice is failed knees. It was the first time my knee got called a "failed knee" and that was validating and, well, sad.

He also said my atrophied quad is "arthrogenic dysfunction" of the quadriceps and showed me an exercise to do. He explained it but I don't think I can convey it well except to say that it's a vicious cycle of the quad not firing because it's getting a message that the knee is a mess, and the atrophied quad is contributing to the knee problems.
 
Pooshay, thanks for posting. It means so much to get responses. And I love your knee picture, it inspires me.
 
I am reeling because Dr. Maale's office called to set up an appointment. They have an opening April 19 (!) I made an appointment for May 3 which is just after an appt. May 1 at Mass General in Boston. It seems daunting going to Boston and then Dallas and home. Do these guys keep their schedule open for sorry cases that randomly pop up, like me??! I didn't think things would happen so fast, and I have to wonder a little bit about what I'm going to do if I end up with another (or two) surgeries. OK, time to back-pedal and just think about the one next step.
 
Reeling, I can understand, but gee whiz at least things are finally happening!!!! Just take a couple of real deep breaths and then smile, smile, smile. Judy
 
:th_heehee: That's great, PooShay. I love it! and how true. Judy
 
I am reeling because Dr. Maale's office called to set up an appointment. They have an opening April 19 (!) I made an appointment for May 3 which is just after an appt. May 1 at Mass General in Boston. It seems daunting going to Boston and then Dallas and home. Do these guys keep their schedule open for sorry cases that randomly pop up, like me??! I didn't think things would happen so fast, and I have to wonder a little bit about what I'm going to do if I end up with another (or two) surgeries. OK, time to back-pedal and just think about the one next step.

Mary, you see Dr. Maale on May 3rd?! I know that God is in the plan because I see him on that day and the next day is my surgery! I would love to meet you, and let me know what time your appointment is! How very exciting!:yahoo::friends:
 
Sonya, that would be fantastic. My appt. is at 9:30. It sounds as if all his appts. were in the morning. We live in a quiet rural area in the middle of nature, and city trips can be trying, especially when we don't know the area or people there.
 
Mary, I'm so sorry that I'm just now catching up with the information that you are going to see Dr. Maale on April 19th!!! How wonderful! You are going then, right????
 
Well I have decided to not go see Dr. Maale at this time. It's a long trip. I will, however, go see him if I am not satisfied with the OS visits I have planned in Boston. I am to see Andrew Freiberg at Mass. General on May 1st and have just sent my records to Dr. Richard Scott, who specializes in revisions and also stiff knee.

A question: Does anyone who is more than a year out but having residual issues have a problem with fatigue? It just seems that it takes very little to tire me out. All my blood work is perfect. I find that I start to wilt around 2 pm, then I crump at 8 pm. I get up at 7:30 a.m.
 
It's understandable to have ongoing fatigue if you are battling such long term unresolved issues, Mary.
Are you still on prescription pain meds of any description?
 
No, when I stopped my 3x day physical therapy (which I ended up doing on my own), I stopped needing pain meds.

The pain issue is confusing. When I broke this leg at age 13 (tib-fib plus talus, very displaced with foot pointing to the side), I had ZERO pain. I didn't have much pain with my bad knee even with 10 degrees valgus and the lateral meniscus having completely disintegrated. So I don't know what to make of my lack of pain now.

I had been doing OK energy-wise in the last six months but it's slowly dwindled over the past month.
 
Well, it must just be a kind of fatigue syndrome then. Odd after all this time.
 
Mary,
I am glad you got an appt. I just wanted to tell you that I have problems with fatigue as well. I think chronic pain wears on you...I just try to do what I can when I can and sleep when I need to.
I hope you get some answers at your appt.
Greda
 
Greda, I think we have related cats!!

Josephine, thanks for checking in. I hope to have more to say in a week after my first 2nd opinion in Boston. Am really looking forward to some answers or even theories.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom