TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

:wave:Hey @kimster

So glad ur on here!! Some amazing members that will be so helpful for you. Did you start a thread of your journey yet?

:hairpulling:

Not a good day and need a place to whine as hubby isn’t quite supportive on this one. Feel free to slap my wrist if needed.

I’ve been in a funk lately. I made it they the post surgical depression (barely) but last few days I’ve been bouncing between little victories and depression and frustration and outright sadness.

Last night I barely slept again. This time my knee was the cause. Had a great pt yesterday and then last night the pain was brutal. Felt like a steel band above and below the joint itself. Finally had to take a 30mg codeine to take the edge off.

Woke up and couldn’t even straighten my leg to get up and walk. Took a good 20min.
The pool wasn’t so great either. I really had to hobble to get into the pool. Then the knee didn’t quite have that :angel: moment I expected. It didn’t bend any easier. I just sorta walked a bit and some squats and only felt like it got to about 70.
Getting out and showered and changed drained me and then my ride was 45min late so I was standing there as there was no where to sit.

To make it worse, my ride service was a compact car, and being my knee wouldn’t bend at all I got stuck in the front seat going AND returning and literally had to flop out with my foot caught.

I have pt tomorrow and am dreading it. The thoughts of any movement makes my skin crawl right now. At least I have massage after.

K. I’m done being whiney. :cry: Just felt so close to normal yesterday and today I felt like I was way back at the beginning again.

This time my knee was the cause. Had a great pt yesterday and then last night the pain was brutal.
That great PT you had yesterday was too much for your knee. That is the cause of a your pain last night and this morning. You need to skip PT until that knee settles way down. Then you need to put some rules out there for your next visit so your knee, and you!, don't go through this again!

Last edited:
It's up there. I don't know how much wisdom is there, just experience.

:friends: So sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch. I wonder if you should skip PT tomorrow? Sounds like a horrid 24 hours - I hope you can get some sleep tonight and have less pain tomorrow. I find that the lack of sleep exacerbates the feelings of depression. I wish for you some good pain-free rest.

@traceys

Lecture over. Have to agree with what others have said and what you already know. Your knee got pushed way too hard and it is screaming it at you. I personally would hold PT until the knee settled down.

/hugs

I agree with all above. It’s why I :roseshwr: all of you. The wisdom of the elders is there @sistersinhim lol

It’s amazing how the adrenaline got me thru it all and felt nothing. Then WHAM!!! Kicking myself (as best I can with my good leg at least) that the impatient side of me won. My massage therapist has her work cut out for her tomorrow.
One forward two back. :groan:

I agree with kmak81230. I good night's sleep is very important. I pray you get one tonight! I think you should take a few days off from PT.

@traceys , agree with others -you in ODIC and in need of good sleep. ...see it for was it is....feelings change daily. Like you when i hit the pool i was expecting miracles but alas none.....hope you sleep well

Ok. A new day.

Pain was so bad last night hubby and I actually debated on calling ambulance. Finally drifted off at 530am tho and got 2hrs if sporadic sleep. The burning and tingling and singers were crazy and it felt like my skin would split from swelling.
:elevate:

This morning I got a call from a good friend who had her TKR exactly a month after me (she has now done both hips and both knees in 2yrs, her OS is my OS’s surgical partner).
It was enlightening. We compared physio and healing and so much. Was great having someone to cry with. That and read a few members here having revelations - this surgery was different than the other 17 on this knee - time to try something different maybe.

Decided this was my turning point.
:sos:
I cancelled pt and massage today and Monday will go in to talk to my pt about needing to reallly reign it back.
I’m nervous because I still need soo much paperwork done for my insurance and don’t want to tick her off and shevsandbags me on the documents.
And what if it’s too late and damage is already done because I’m taking a more gentle approach too far after?
And what if things get worse on this pt break and I have to fight even harder to get it back?
And how does insurance interpret me taking a less aggressive rehab in regards to return to work -“she’s milking it for time off”

This is a mental marathon more than the actual knee for heavens sake! Lol:flabber:

Try not to worry. Take a break from PT and see how your knee feels. You'll need to try that for about 3 weeks.
You can always go back if you feel the break hasn't helped.

@traceys I know that it is easy for me to say but I will anyway because I do care. At some point you have to stop worrying about all of that stuff and start worrying about you. The fact that you were in pain severe enough that you considered calling an ambulance means you have gone way beyond the ODIC club. You need to make a change that is good for you and helps you to recover. All of the worries that you listed are valid for sure but it comes down to what can you change Today in this moment to move you closer to a better place. Please listen to Celle’s advice give the new plan time to show if it works for you. Jumping back to pushing too hard as soon as it begins feeling better is counterproductive. We are here for you.

@Celle my plan is to go to pt once a week and ONLY for my gait work, hip monitoring and to have her check I’m doing my stretches properly. And of course my massages (those are mental health now not rehab! Lol). This will be for the entire month of December. It’s my gift to myself. No more knee work. Time and Mother Nature are taking over that rehab.

@Larryhg3 i know you care - just the person you are and it shows. Trust me, laying there bawling last night like I was was scary as hell.

Sounds like a good plan -- I expect your multiple other surgeries on that knee make your recovery more complicated but I still think a gentler approach will be better for you (mentally and physically) in the long run. Hugs to you! :console2:

Thanks @kmak81230
Yes my alignment of all the soft and hard structures was startling to say the least. My entire right leg is so confused past 3 mnths and has no idea what to do. Keep picturing the inside looking like an old 3 Stooges scene. :snork:

So glad you had a better day today and an awesome plan moving forward! :yes: But I understand the concerns you're having about the insurance. Maybe you can present the problem in such a way that she provides the solution? "Thursday's therapy was great but I was in extreme pain all night and I don't understand why. What do you think might have caused that?" Hopefully she'll want to solve the problem by recommending a dial back. If not, then you do what you have to do, but at least you gave it a shot to be her idea, not yours. :eyebrows:

And of course my massages (those are mental health now not rehab! Lo
@traceys lucky you getting massages.....i never get one at my pt, have been doing self massage on IT band, calves and other leg muscles last 4 nights at bedtime. ...i swear it make a difference the next day....so not just for mental health.
At least my legs are SUPER moisterised each day :rotfl:

I am currently on a search for someone who does therapeutic massage. PT eventually ends but I am hooked on a good massage.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom