Guest viewing is limited

TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

I’m lucky as the clinic I’m at is a massive building and set up really unique. It houses pt, massage therapy, chiropractic, osteopaths, acupuncture, bracing and supplies clinic, gait centre and the surgeons offices are in a horseshoe around the layout

My rmt is great. She does so many styles and believes in changing gears mid appt if needed. The only prob is when laying on my stomach with my face in the hole , I have drifted off a few times and drooled on the floor.
:rotfl:
 
Day 4 of being kind to my knee and admit it’s interesting. It’s hard going against everything I’ve been told and done for 35 yrs. :scaredycat:

But I need some confirmation or advice as this “new” way of rehab is sooo totally new to me. I feel like my rom is decreasing BUT my quality of life feels more like what I was pre- surg. If after reading this it sounds familiar or there’s something I’m missing or doing wrong pls let me know.

My knee feels way better. :yahoo:No ache. No pain that needs meds. I do have tingling and prickles and some burning at times and occasional zingers now instead. I know I have bursitis medial and lateral knee and am already treating it.

Been icing about 1-2hrs at a time and then 3-4 no ice. Leg not above hip but is up on recliner (my Lounge Doctor arrives Tuesday!)

Visible swelling is way down but occasionally getting that band feeling below the knee one moment and above others but not constant.

I will outright say I have NOT done my bend exercises at all but have done real minimal bending while sitting in the shower or the recliner. Not pushing to my max by any means. :unsure:

I have been more active though with ADL doing groceries , out for dinner Friday night, cooking, puddling around the apt, sat at table to write Christmas cards. It got tight and my walking reverted to the pirate peg leg at times but no pain. Used no device around home and arm canes out only. And hopped up/down into truck passenger seat with ease. :thumb:

I have physio Monday and am praying I have enough change to prove my point that I don’t need to rush it or push limits.
 
Everything you said in today’s post makes complete sense to me. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing very gentle stretches with your knee. The reason your knee feels better is because you are giving it a rest. This is what Celle and I warned you about. You feel better because your knee is settling down from the amount of over work you put it through. Please do not take this as an indicator that you should go back to what you were doing that put you here. One thing I noted in this post is your focus on ROM. ROM will come in time but not if you push it so hard you can’t even function. Always here for you my friend.
 
@Larryhg3 no way will I go back. Feeling no pain is my motivation to NOT do that again. Lesson learned.

It’s not so much a focus on rom numbers as in functionalality. That’s it. If I can walk proper. Maybe do some stairs. Get dressed and get back to my photography business. Then I’m good.
 
Sounds like you are doing really well. I think you are on the right track ---- even though it must be hard for you to make such a dramatic switch in how you are rehabbing. I know it was for me with this second knee - but I am much happier so far with much less swelling and discomfort - and my PT says my recovery is going well. I'm not gonna have one of those magical ROM recoveries at 6 weeks but I know I'll get there eventually - so why not enjoy the ride.
 
Agree @kmak81230
I still go into panic mode when I feel the internal swelling start (like right now sitting here! Lol) and think “I have to run and do those heavy stretches and wall slides and strap pulls” and then it’s “nooo. Go ice and elevate and relax another day.”
 
Alright- I think Bonesmart may be on to something.

Had physio this am for first time in 4.5 days. Woke up stiff and swollen around all of the knee bursae and faded bruise under patella for some reason but thought “let’s have that talk”

Told pt what happened after Wednesday’s appt and the horrible fiasco Thursday trying to go to pool. She took it all in and looked at my knee while I sat on the edge of treatment table at a nice bend and said “I think we need to really back off and try something much gentler for you”.
:shocked:
Ya. Did not expect that.
So we talked about how I may not progress as far in rom and be stiffer longer and all that. I said I knew but she agreed one good appt followed by 3 bad days is stupid.
So now I will be going M and F only. Upright bike rocking pedals for my stretch as I can take it. Extension stretches, patellar massage, ultrasound and supported movement (she only holds leg-I move it as I can tolerate) then onto some gait work and a formal massage appt every Friday for one hour.
Ice and tens as long as I want each appt.
:yahoo:
Came home from appt tired and a bit achy but this is nothing that ice and rest won’t fix.
Suddenly things aren’t so gloomy and depressing. I have to write her a list of my goals and what activities I want back to and we go from there.
:loveshwr:
Then..... my insurance caseworker sent documents to OS November 21. Due November 28 so I don’t lose my benefits and short term disability on December 9th. Talked to his assistant and he hasn’t done them yet and is gone to a conference until the 10th.
:blackcloud:
So now I have no idea what is going to happen to my finances as of this Friday until it’s figured out. He’s already done 2 sets of forms saying off work till January and then next one saying February and she wants more info still before she accepts it. I mean really???????

All in all tho - counting this as a good day. :yes!:
 
It's a shame that now you have to worry about money on top of recovering from your surgery. But, you did have a very good day!
 
Has anyone else had super dry flaky skin around their knee since surgery? It’s over the section that’s still numb. When I use my fav lotion I get horrible little red rash that lasts 2-3 days. And it comes right back. Looks... :eeeuw:

Thanks @sistersinhim owe a lot to you and some other goodies on here for the support as I turned the corner that brought me to the post above.

Tonight there is some discomfort below the patella but NOTHING like after other session days. :yes!:
 
Yeah for you - and for your PT for really listening to you and working with you to come up with a good recovery plan. Glad you are doing better. Hopefully you can get the insurance fiasco cleared up. Just what you don't need - added stress!
 
@traceys I have really awful dry flaky skin around both knees and the same thing happened to me when I used lotion to moisten my skin , took me a few days to work it out but I agree yukky little red dots all over:swoon:
 
@gecko have to tell you. Your avatar cracks me up every time I peek at it

And thanks - gonna try baby lotion or baby oil
 
@traceys everyone loves my avatar including me, it is what bonesmart gave me in october fiesties, did you see me dressed as it for halloween (date of first knee)it is in pre op knees
I am using fractionated coconut oil with lavender essential oils works well....no more nasty spots
 
Wow what a difference in a week! :happydance:
I knew something was different when hubby made a comment tonight about I’m hardly limping except for the small one caused by my not fully extending at heel strike yet.

I have been keeping busy around the house a lot last 2 days with baking and tidying up etc. One thing I do notice is the fluid in my knee definitely pools to the lowest point.
When sitting with legs down = tight below kneecap.
When in recliner = tight behind knee.
When sleeping on stomach or side = tight along medial border of knee or above.

I’m trying to stack pillows to elevate but they won’t stay stacked and my leg rest is delayed in delivery a few days so can’t wait to see how much that will help.

Tomorrow nite we have a trip out to our Christkindl Christmas market for an hour or two. It’s so beautiful and great vendors. Been going opening nite for 12 yrs with hubby and decided to try. Fingers crossed!:sos:
 
Hope your outing goes well! It will be nice to not have to be so kneecentric for a couple of hours --- you can ice and elevate when you get home.
 
Hope you have an amazing time, and as kmak81230 says ice and elevate when you get home ☺
 
Ugh!
Getting ready to head out to our Christmas market tonight and have been dealing with a zinger in my knee for the past 2hrs. I mean come on!!!!:oyvey:this baby is stinging something fierce.

Not sure what to do but hoping it eases at some point in the next short while. Don’t want this to wreck our night out to get in the holiday spirit
:reindeerlights:
 
Sometimes you can walk it out. I would get mine to stop many times with the recumbent bike. It wouldn't take but 5 minutes or so on it to the pain to diminish.
 
“It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!”
:reindeer:

Just got back from our annual date night at our city’s christkindl market. It was perfect!!! Snow was floating down, was cold but not freezing, we caught the opening ceremony and candle lighting. Sigh. Hubby even got a perfect spot steps from the venue so I didn’t have far to hobble. So perfect!!! :happydance:

I had a bit of trouble with people bumping into me or knocking my crutch leg out but then my 6’6” 350lb hubby moved in front like a moving wall and all was good.
Got our treats and he bought me a few surprises ❤️

By the time I got home I realized I hadn’t paid my knee much attention while out but by the time we got home I struggled to get out of the truck and inside.

Now the zingers are raging and the patella tendon is :gaah: at me. Pain med tonight!

Biggest takeaway tho? I was able to be normal for 2hrs. And I loved it!
 
Having such a good night was worth your knee's temper tantrum! Give it some extra TLC the next couple of days and it should settle down.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom