BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] TS’s lopsided recovery'

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by traceys, Oct 16, 2018.

1. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    So the time has come when I realized that I consider myself over the worst of this TKR and ready to start returning to the rest of the world out there.
    I have reached the point where I feel I am as far as I’m going to get on the whole and accept this surgery did not work for me as expected.
    While there are still micro improvements each day - the list of things I cannot do has remained unchanged for some time now. My improvements now are simply being able to do things I can already do better.

My rom is still below standards. Flex 80-85. Extension 20-5.
    I therefore struggle with many basic things like going downstairs without pitching forward, I cannot sit in the front seat of most vehicles. I cannot sleep longer than 1-2 hrs at a time because my positions are so limited.
    I still need a cane. I still struggle with swelling internal/external after having my leg down for anything longer than an hour.
    I still have pain in the same quarter sized area that I had pre op.
    I walk like I am supposed to and find I’m getting regressing again.

I find myself now thinking about if I’m ready for work again. A graduated plan to return to test where I am if you will. Im Not even sure if I have a job to return to as I have heard nothing from them in just over a month.

I probably won’t be here as much as there is not much to update anymore and my TKR “class” are all graduated and back to their lives as well which makes me so happy! And yes.... jealous.
    I will pop in sporadically to say hello and see how some of you are still -
    But I wanted to say thank you to all of you who have pulled me from some pretty deep and scary holes in this journey. I never realized how easy it is to adore people you have never met.
    Keep up your recoveries! I want to read some great successes when I check back.
    :loveshwr::wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. grandma chris

grandma chris graduate

Canada Canada
    Oh yeah, well I'm expecting you to check in a few months from now with a much better report ! We have time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Elad1002

Elad1002 senior

United States United States
    @traceys
    Just wanted to mention that I read your thread and have been silently cheering you on with your gains. According to many Bonesmart experts here, recovery is a year. I will continue praying and rooting for you. I also wanted to mention that I read where you are taking tumeric for immflamation, and it does work great, I took it for several years when I was trying to avoid having this surgery. I can no.longer take it because it is an MAO in inhibitor, something you can not take if you are on an SSRI or antidepressant as it can cause serotonin syndrome. I dont know if you use antidepressants or antianxiety meds, but if you go to the Golden Paste website, you can read the warning, my doctor concurs. I am rooting for your continued success on your healing journey. God Bless You.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. SuzyQ58

SuzyQ58 junior member

I am so intrigued about this Turmeric as well. I went off my Celebrex about a week ago and my swelling and pain is back. My husband and I are heading to Florida today so hopefully the combination of warmer weather and Turmeric will be a winner! I’ll keep you all posted !!

5. gecko

gecko senior

Australia Australia
    @traceys you better keep popping back in, it was the Girraffe that kept me away but she is all birthed now:heehee: I am always here for you as are all of your fellow bonesmart family :flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You have a long history with your knee/leg. I hope that down the road in time that you are pleasantly surprised with more progress as you continue to heal. I believe there will be improvements.

You are a blessing to all of us and we are glad to have met you. :console2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Tracey, I wish you the very best in all you do going forward and hope and pray that there is some further improvement for you in the future. We'll miss you, but hope it won't be too big a gap before we hear from you again. Take care and look after yourself in the meantime. :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. donnag1108

donnag1108 senior

I have no doubt you can do anything you put your mind to. You have been encouraging and an inspiration to many including myself. Please keep us updated!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm sorry your recovery hasn't been what you hoped for, Tracey.
    There's still time for improvement, and I hope you do continue to improve slowly.

We'll be here for you whenever you need us. :friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. NavyGunns

NavyGunns FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@traceys, don’t you dare abandon all your supporters here! You are no where close to the one year mark yet! Barely 6 months. Keep plugging away, stay positive, focus on the achievements (no matter how small), and let the other stuff roll off your back. You will get there, in your time, your way!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. beachy

beachy post-grad

Hey Buddy,
    I understand how you feel. But, don't completely leave your fan club!
    I wish you all good things. You picked me up and made me laugh many times. You were the best ODIC president. Try to stay out of that club. Please pop in to say hello and give an update.:flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@traceys, don't leave us. You are such a help to all of us and we love you! You hold us up and we try and hold you up. You're just halfway through this healing and with your history, it might take you even longer. It has me. Don't give up. You will get better! You're just down in the dumps right now. Just know that you have a lot of people praying for you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Zommom

Zommom member

Aww @traceys I’m sorry your recovery has been so bumpy. I have kept up with your thread and admire you greatly for your fortitude and positivity. I hope you will reconsider about leaving The forum, this site is a lifeline for many what can we do for you? You have done so much for others.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. BadKneesTO

BadKneesTO new member

Canada Canada
    Hey Canuck. @traceys I'm sorry to hear your new knee has come up short for you so far. Slow though it may be, I wish for you continued progress. In the little time I've been here, you have seemed to have a really positive effect on people with your encouragements, well wishes and empathy. You will surely be missed while you are away. And welcomed when you return.

Take care.

BadKneesTO

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. SnowHare

SnowHare member

Canada Canada
    @traceys : I'm going to miss you. I have really enjoyed reading your posts here and on other peoples' threads. You have contributed so much.

I'm sad that your TKR has not followed the so-called normal trajectory, but then, what is normal? Absence of variation. Some of us have more variation in our lives than other people.

I hope you stay positive, and when the not so positive moments raise their sorry little heads, you feel secure to come back for support. You have a very supportive group of people here who care very much about you.

cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. traceys

traceys graduate

Canada Canada
    :wave:
    Just checking in between March Madness basketball games and catching up on everyone’s news and updates. It’s nice to hear of some progresses and heartbreaking to read some of you are still battling.

No real change in my world as far as the knee goes. My pt no longer is measuring at my request and if she is I don’t know when. I don’t really care anymore on the bend number. I need to be able to function in everyday.

We are working on a lot of tasks related to simply using it and building up endurance and muscle strength. I’m doing stairs foot over foot up all the time and even able to down about 50% of the time. I can do some walking while shopping or errands (albeit lurchy and unsteady) without my cane in 15-20min chunks for up to an hour. I still have that area that swells and looks like a kiwi under my skin on the inside bottom border of my kneecap and it pinches and hurts horribly at times. Sleep is still sporadic.

Still no date for return to work but the estimate seems to be end of April and very very gradual.
    I am going through some real stressors at home and it’s taking its toll as well and I am just worn out in every sense imaginable. I have a unique photography class May 8th in Toronto requiring 2hrs of walking and standing that is keeping me motivated. I really want to do it.

Like I said - nothing new and no real changes.

Will pop back in at some point again. Hope everyone in the northern hemisphere is starting to benefit from spring upon us finally. Keep posting those updates!
    :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  17. Lindylee

Lindylee graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Lovely to hear from you. You say nothing's changing, but it sounds like improvement to me if you're managing time without a cane and going up and down stairs. I hope the stressors at home resolve themselves soon and that you make your photography course in May :console2:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It sounds like you're improving to me. You are doing the steps like an adult, which you couldn't do a short time ago. Building up endurance and muscle stretch is a big improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  19. beachy

beachy post-grad

:wave:HI!
    Great to hear an update! Sounds like you've made some big decisions about your recovery. Sorry about the home stress. Like you need that. Hang in there Tracey. We're rooting for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Larryhg3

Larryhg3 senior

Sounds like you are making forward progress with the knee. Sometimes not focusing on the numbers is best. Sorry about the home stress, the knee is enough without the rest. Think of you often and send prayers daily.