BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] TS’s lopsided recovery'

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by traceys, Oct 16, 2018.

1. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Sleep is so important to this recovery. I don't think most doctors would mind giving out short term sleeping aids. Mine did. I still take them a few times a week.

2. beachy

beachy post-grad

I don't think broccoli is addictive.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. traceys

traceys senior

Canada Canada
  4. hegel

hegel member

I have some Lorezapan that I never use. I'll try it tonight for sleep. Lack of sleep/bad sleep is the worst part for me right now. My energy is bad and my mood can be too! Bah! Thanks for the reminder--I forgot that Lorezapan can be used for that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. traceys

traceys senior

Canada Canada
    @hegel I hope they work as well for you.

Today I had to take a codeine dose too. The ache in the tibia was soooo bad after groceries.

I cannot wait for spring

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. traceys

traceys senior

Canada Canada
    Knocking down the obstacles! Pt today.
    Up 3 sets of stairs foot over foot. Turtle slow but form good. And .... came down the last 5 stairs proper foot over foot!!
    :happydance:
    Would not do them if alone as felt like i might pitch forward but My pt was there and brought in a second pt to help incase but I did it!
    Then hit the elliptical for 7min

Suddenly it’s like a whole new world - complete with more aches and swelling again. But I’ll take it:yahoo:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  7. grandma chris

grandma chris graduate

Canada Canada
    @traceys Yay!!!! You know once you can do the stairs it's fantastic! My own experience is that it's very slow to start with, it still is slow but I've moved on from very slow lol! Now all we need is confidence. I find at this point for me it's as much about the fear of hurting myself. I'm very happy for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. sistersinhim

Yahoo! You are making headway day by day now! Good going!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. traceys

traceys senior

Canada Canada
    @grandma chris i looked like a toddler that discovered stairs when the baby gate was removed. Going up? “Whoohoo this is fun!!!” Coming down? “Catch me mommy I’m gonna fall” :scaredycat:Thankfully the second pt she brought was a very tall solid guy so I had something squishy to land on if it came to that. Lol.

@sistersinhim have the feeling gonna be a rough day tomorrow cuz I’m already tightening up and hurting. But it’s crazy how quick you can turn a corner in this recovery. One day you can’t stop crying and feel so stupid and lost. Then BANG :prayer: days like this happen.

If anyone’s struggling with their rom numbers or slow progress I really hope they find this and see if I can find MY way then theirs is out there and will come.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. grandma chris

grandma chris graduate

Canada Canada
    @traceys that's exactly how I feel. I can just coast along for a bit with not much happening and all of a sudden I can do something. It's kind of like when you're learning some new skill. It's like you've got a hard climb and then you get to a flat and walk for a while. Then when you're comfortable with that, another uphill climb. In the end, we'll be on the top of the mountain! It will just take us awhile to get there.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. sistersinhim

Unfortunately, the ups and downs of a roller coaster ride are perfectly normal for any knee replacement recovery. It can be so frustrating. We think we're getting so much better, do a little more and then pay for the extra activity the next day. What is not frustrating though, is it's taking a shorter time to recover from that activity than it used to do. That's a sure sign of healing. You are there. You are bouncing back quicker than you used to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. beachy

beachy post-grad

I think you faked coming down the steps do you could land on some tall solid guy. You're not fooling us, Miss Tracey!
    :loll:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. traceys

traceys senior

Canada Canada
    • Funny Funny x 4
  14. sistersinhim

Sounds good to me!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. traceys

traceys senior

Canada Canada
    Weekly Friday checkin. No pt today as she cancelled due to family illness. Not sure I was completely upset with that as slept horribly last night and knee is throwing a temper tantrum since Wednesday. I’m ready to put it in timeout.
    Just stiff and tight and stinging sort of weird. Not zingers but actually prolonged sharp stabbing and stinging.
    Looking forward to a night curled up on couch with hubs and trashy tv and then hopefully some solid (med induced) sleep.

Hope all are doing well!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mom2Lucy

Mom2Lucy senior

Canada Canada
    Interesting @traceys , your description of stinging and stabbing pains sounds like my knee these past two days, and also that tightness and stiffness. I was thinking it was due to work, but now I wonder......
    The weather also changed for the worse out here too, so maybe that’s part of why there’s more knee pain?

17. traceys

traceys senior

Canada Canada
    @Mom2Lucy its something I’ve never had even presurgery. Honestly it’s what I imagine a knife stab would feel like and it’s literally under one of my old scars on the medial side of the patella. Every time I lay on that side and then go to move it hits and it hangs on for 10-15 min. The stinging is when I’m up walking and trying to bend. :tantrum:
    I know it got really cold again Wednesday but I’m not sure if it’s that because I’ve been inside for 3 days or if I really overworked it at pt Tuesday and irritated it pretty bad.

:yawn: Either way- I’ve taken a “night night” pill and feeling that furry feeling kicking in so should probably stop posting and find my bed before :dead:

• Like Like x 3
  18. sistersinhim

How did you night go? How's that knee today?

19. DLR

DLR senior

Canada Canada
    @traceys sometimes I wonder if some of the seemingly random sharp pains are nerves that have been cut but try to reconnect. Our bodies are complex when you think that amputees get phantom pains then I suspect we could get pain from cut nerves...just my ponderings

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. traceys

traceys senior

Canada Canada
    @sistersinhim i slept relatively well thankfully and woke up better. Hubs and I just spent 2hrs doing some errands. Bought myself new runners (guaranteed to improve my speediness the guy said. And they look zippy! :rotfl: ) and then went to our huge mall and walked it around once and now home. And i wrapped knee so feels good actually! Not that stiff or sore.
    :yes!:

@DLR ive brought that up to my treatment team and they said that is exactly what it is. The stabbing feel is just soooooo unnerving. Especially being it lasts for so long unlike zingers.

All in all very pleased with today though. This was a real good jaunt about. :walking:

• Like Like x 4