TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

Was it something in the air last night?!! I was awake from 12:45 to 5:20. Crazy. Anyway, today is naptime for all of us! It's normal to plateau out on this recovery. It's a lot like losing weight. At first the pounds come off, then sometimes it's at least a few weeks before even a half of a pound comes off. It's the same with recovery from this. There's a big difference at first, then things slow down. The improvements come, but they are small compared to those first ones. Sometimes there are even back-steps. Also, completely normal!
 
It's normal to plateau out on this recovery. It's a lot like losing weight. At first the pounds come off, then sometimes it's at least a few weeks before even a half of a pound comes off.
Another good analogy!

Sometimes we just have to relax, step back, stop trying to always do something, and let our body do it’s thing. Sometimes the only fix is Time.
 
Well, it must have been something in the air for sure! I was not up during the night, but I swear I dozed all night - looking at the clock every half hour. Not very restful at all! I think I joined the ODIC yesterday. @traceys hang in there my dear, for sure better days are coming. This is SUCH a roller coaster!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] TS’s lopsided recovery'
 
Ok. So. Got about 10hts straight sleep last night with the help of a tranquilizer. Woke up this am expecting another day of a temperamental knee and tears but nope. Instead had Pt today and we finally have a treatment plan that is getting results it seems.

I can post my before and after plan here if anyone is curious but don’t want to bore anyone with the logistics. Lol.

In short - a huge milestone happened today.

Today is my 4mnth from surgery. Think that’s part of what depressed me so bad this week too. My pt celebrated it by saying “what is something new you want to do today?”

Told her proper stairs not the little riser they have of one step. They don’t have the traditional 3-5 mock stairs with railings like some places do so she said ok and we went out in the building back staircase. She said “ok go and keep going”. Did one and she corrected my form and said start again.

One step good knee lead.
Next step TKR lead
Then good
Then TKR.
14 stairs.
:shocked: :thud: :yahoo: :bawl: In that order.
She started applauding.


I haven’t done a flight of stairs since the night of my 30th birthday party.

No pain, no swelling, just worn out uncomfortable muscles. Compare that to 2 months ago after pt the bruises and pain pills and days of recovery.

Date night tonight. Definitely gonna be celebrating.
 
Woohoo!! So great to see you had such a rewarding day. Post like yours keep me hopeful I will make such strides in time. Have a fabulous date night and enjoy this success!!
 
damn thing seems to be working Tracey! congratulations on ascension day! Soon you'll be running up the escalator and pushing old people out of the way to catch a flight!

(umm...maybe over the line with that last...)
 
Post like yours keep me hopeful I will make such strides in time.
.
The big change came for me when I changed my motivation to specific tasks and not the almighty numbers. I did this surgery to keep living my life and there are functional movements I need to do them. :running:I can already do math- don’t need to practice my numbers.

! Soon you'll be running up the escalator
That cracked me up! :loll:I used to BE that person on the escalator that people pushed aside. As long as I can manage to walk/jog the length of the field for 4 quarters and MAYBE kneel a bit by sept 14 I will be ecstatic!!!
 
Shifting the focus from an obsession with a number to living my daily life was the turning point for Lefty. The lady who owns the PT place I use got tired of insurance companies pulling patients before they were fully better. She started a “conditioning center” in the other wing of her office. There are 2 personal trainers who work directly with your old PT to continue your exercises but NO MEASUREMENTS. You are basically getting stronger and more flexible. It costs $10 per session and must be bought in blocks of 10. I found that I made a huge amount of progress there with Lefty and will be happily transitioning to that side with Righty when it is time. I didn’t replace my knees to achieve a number. I want to play 3 rounds of golf a week. I want to walk the beautiful nature trails for hours at a time taking pictures. I want to go up and down stairs like a normal person.

Sorry to hijack your thread it is a long way of saying go Tracey go you are doing great and I am So HAPPY for you.
 
Measurement day at physio. Why is it always the days you wake up feeling the worst and had no sleep!?
:beg:

So both my knees were 1.5cm bigger than last week so she suspects I’m just bloated in general. Strength showed a 17% increase in TKR leg (remember I am doing NO strengthening exercises). Balance still sketchy but she noted some improvement. Gait therapist said I’m consistent heel to toe finally and foot pointing forward and not rotated in.
Big one? Start of my appt I was really lacking in my flex/exten. It was scaring us I had lost so much. She remeasured after a few stretches and she wouldn’t give me the numbers (we don’t care on specifics just no loss week to week) but said I picked up 16 degrees since last week
:yahoo:

My ADL tasks she tests on also showed mass improvement and are closer to the occupational standards now.

Going home to celebrate with baking cookies!
 
So great to see your positive reports. One thing at a time and sounds like today is a victory for you!
 
I'm so happy for you! What wonderful news you have. Save some cookies for me! Yum yum!
 
< Puts out a plate of fresh cookies for @sistersinhim and whomever else stops by. >

:beer:

Now to go sign my membership card for ODIC.....again... and pop a pill before this gets out of control anymore. Bracing for tomorrow’s consequences. But at least I have cookies and chocolate milk to nurse me thru what’s probably coming! Totally worth it to celebrate.
 
Wow thats great news @traceys , I cellebrated my hopping out of the woe is me club
(thanks to you ) and baked fruitcake
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom