Guest viewing is limited

Trying to stay positive

Status
Not open for further replies.
zauberflöte. Oh, yes. I have one of those, who I am happy to say is happily grown up and married, but boy were his school years a trip. I got so tired of hearing, Oh, you're his mother. Both "kids" are quite bright but my son followed his future valedictorian sister through school, and when a teacher is expecting a linear kid and gets ADD brother, it isn't amusing. Very interesting that you also describe enhanced hearing. My son also has super visual acuity. He notices things that others miss, and as a kid would spout it out and insist. Once on a school trip he was sure he saw a snow mobile at a distance sink into a frozen lake, and was hysterical and ignored. Turns out he was right.

College was a revelation to him-much more flexibility, and ability to hyper focus on what interested him. No more angry teachers. He was graduated in three and a half years.

It's great that your kids have a mom who appreciates them. It took me a while to really appreciate the challenges he faced.
 
LeeApril26 Sounds like your son found his path immediately-- mine is 26 and has JUST gotten his associate's degree. We are waiting on the marriage part, he is clearly mated for life but the M word doesn't come up often enough LOL.
The snowmobile incident-- yeah, I feel that. In third grade, mine saw an adult bald eagle in the sky at a soccer game (I was there, saw it too) but the teacher wanted the kids to focus on their snack stand. What a teaching opp missed. OTOH, he credits that teacher with giving him his career-- she lent us her old Apple IIC that summer, and away he went with no looking back!
I don't think I ever got, oh you're his mother... there were plenty of them in his class in grade school, and then in 8th grade he started attending a school for kids with dyslexia and various other 'dys"s. He got to be valedictorian of his class of 6 boys. now THAT was a class for you:yikes: whew!
 
zauberflöte. My son is 35 and was married in March. Interesting that computers played a part in the rescue of both our sons. Nice that yours had a better school experience,
 
zauberflöte and LeeApril26, with seven kids I was bound to get one or two that are "distractable"! I remember when my 23 year old was about 8, she was in Sunday School with another girl and two boys who were also that way. We literally had teachers request to teach another class rather than deal with the four of them! :rotfl: They had quite the reputation. And I still remember the day I was trying to teach math to my now 17 year old and she was answering a question and right in the middle of her answer asked "Why do you keep sugar in a sugar bowl?" :umm: All I could think of was what in the world does that have to do with math? But honestly, they both have a quirky fun personality that everyone loves and I wouldn't change them at all.
zauberflöte, I was up late last night because things were getting stressful here. Remember right before your surgery, when everything happened with your pets and son and what not? Well, my 18 year old checked herself into a mental health center (she has depression issues), my 24 year old who is still at home was close to losing it because she can't see how she will ever be able to afford her own place, Mr Sqwerl is stressed because it keeps raining which means he can't plant the crops that will provide our income for the next year and I was stressing over everything that seems like it needs to be done and done right NOW! :hairpulling: Thank goodness the dog is still healthy...or maybe I shouldn't mention that, now he will become deathly ill with something! Having a week or two of rest and drugs is sounding pretty darn good right now! :loll:
 
sqwerlie. I am lighting mental candles for your dog. I hope things settle down. It's funny how when mom needs to rest or be away things fall apart ahead of time. I feel for your 24 year old's dilemma. My 27 year old godchild is still at home because despite a four year degree she can't find work that pays enough to afford an apartment in NYC.
And zauberflöte. I like the term distractable. Their minds just work in a different way.
 
sqwerlie... You so deserve a rest... a little more than two weeks though... Think anything up to 12 weeks...

So sorry for your family issues, hope the young ones realise Mum is about to have major surgery? :)
 
Poppet, they do know about it and I expect they will step up when the day comes. They have been helping more and more as surgery approaches and I can do less. So you think I can get away with laying about and being "helpless" for 12 weeks? I totally plan to drag my recovery out as long as I can...I am looking forward to all of them scurrying about carrying out my wishes! :heehee:
 
Lol, I have a vision of all these little squirrels running around collecting acorns and bringing them to Mum :rotfl:

I am sure they are very good and appreciate you... Talking about dragging your recovery out... Ground Squirrels usually hibernate five to six months of the year! Perhaps we should revise your recovery period ? :)
 
sqwerlie I like the sound of you being able to hibernate for five to six months of the year, if only eh!! I'm sorry that your life is quite stressful at the moment, things have a habit of blowing up just when you can least deal with it but hopefully that's it now and the rest will be plain sailing!! I had the spinal with my last surgery and I got something to make me sleep, it all went fine and kept the pain away for a while too. I slept right through the surgery until they woke me in recovery and then I was wide awake and felt brilliant, no groggy feeling like you sometimes get with a GA. :friends:We will be just fine surgery buddy, and only 10 days to go, down to single figures tomorrow!! Janet x
 
I was up late last night because things were getting stressful here.
Oh my, yes I know where you are at. I'm sorry for all that-- I hope the 18yrold gets the care she's hoping for, depression is a bad one. And the 24 yr old, yup, that would be stressful especially f she spreads it around (and of course she does, Mom has always helped calm me down, she can help again-- and we do, don't we? If a developmentally delayed MAN (the ZK) can come through a little bit, I'm sure yours will with bells on! But meanwhile, we stress, don't we. And the rain vs planting time-- will pray for planting weather for a good year :)
(((((Sqwerlie)))) *brings nuts**with chocolate**and diamonds**and a kayak**and red shoes**oops forgot the Canadian*
 
Things are looking a little better this week...18 year old came home from hospital, 24 year old is making a budget and plans for the future, Mr Sqwerl got a lot planted this weekend after most of the rain missed us (yay!) and I got my living room cleaned!!! Think massive rummage sale/storage/laundry explosion and you will have an accurate picture of what the living room looked like! Joint class is done, pre-op is done, supplies are here, except for the raised toilet seat. This week looks like grocery shopping, finish up laundry, mow the lawn (riding mower - as long as I can get on it, I'm ok :heehee: ) and get 12 year old ready to go to camp. She'll be there the week I have surgery, which will make things easier for everyone. The only thing I am dreading is I have to stop taking my Naproxen and only have Tylenol for pain. Although I will call my OS if it gets too bad. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. 8 more sleeps to go!!! :yahoo:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Trying to stay positive
and from the post above, I conclude that you are giving it all you've got. Things seem to be coming together nicely if busily for you, sqwerlie. Try not to completely wear yourself out before the big day.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Trying to stay positive
 
sqwerlie I'm so glad for things smoothing out. Camp for 12-yr-old is perfect! And perhaps her sisters will be kind to her and drive her around after surgery, and generally help her through your hip :)
I already had a bottle of tramadol 50mg which I was taking one a day of, in addition to tylenol and ibuprofen. So when I dropped the ibuprofen, I went to 3 a day. I recommend it, so long as you don't have to take too much for too long-- the withdrawal from long term use can be nasty.
Yay clean living room, and planting!!!!! Things are coming together, aren't they? :) :)
 
I must remember to ask about the Naproxen at my pre op to see what they say as I wasn't told to stop last time.............or actually maybe I shouldn't ask in case they say no stop taking it!! I haven't done as much as I'd hoped around the house but my husband keeps saying don't worry I'll do it, somehow I really don't think he will though!
 
Littlejem It seems here in US we are all told to stop NSAIDs about a week prior, as they can act as anticoagulants, and I guess they want you, um, coagulating right after surgery. I'm so glad MrJem can be home more after this one-- you won't feel quite such an outcast LOL
 
Hi sqwerlie I'm glad that life's calmed down a bit for you and your kids are fairing well now. You're all organized it seems, with your clean house and your supplies. That's a load off of your mind. You're a pretty resilient woman, raising all of those great kids of yours and homeschooling, too. This hip surgery won't have any challenges that you can't handle.
You and Littlejem are going to sail right through your surgeries - and you have each other to lean on - not to mention the rest of us here!
I'm thinking about you both as you get ready for next week! Keep us posted. :)
 
Sqwerlie, great job getting everything ready, and it is good to see that all of life around you is falling into place as well. I hope you have a restful weekend and try not to worry too much about what's around the corner. As you've recently seen, things have a way of working themselves out! Three and a wake up!
 
sqwerlie. Glad things are coming together, and that most of the crop is planted and your youngster ready for camp. That will be less to worry about. Hope you can get a bit of rest this weekend.
Keep us posted when you can.
 
Ok, I am officially starting a crop of butterflies in the tummy. So much to do, so little time! And this annoying little voice that keeps asking, do you really think you can do this? Will you be able to handle it? Of course, I have my really loud obnoxious hip making comments too and he drowns out that little voice. So yes, I am almost ready and a little scared and a lot excited! :dancy:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom