TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

Hi, I don't know how to delete duplicate posts. Sorry.
 
Hi @dubloosh. :wave:

I just noticed that, although you've been with us here on the forum for several months, your thread title still says you are a newbie!

Would you like us to change it something that better reflects your ongoing journey? I think your story will be interesting to others who are in the earlier days of recovery.

Just let us know!
 
Hi @dubloosh. :wave:

I just noticed that, although you've been with us here on the forum for several months, your thread title still says you are a newbie!

Would you like us to change it something that better reflects your ongoing journey? I think your story will be interesting to others who are in the earlier days of recovery.

Just let us know!
Hi, and thank you for saying others might find my journey interesting. I agree about changing the thread title now that I'm five months (and one week) post op, and my knee, despite a setback in January, hardly bothers me during the day or evening. Perhaps "TRKR 10/13/23 - it does get better" would be more appropriate?
 
Hi everyone! This knee continues to fool me. Got up this morning and did leg slides and a few other exercises, and the minutes I stood up I felt the stiffness. No pain, just stiff. Mid-morning I did some grocery shopping and stopped short of slipping on the floor from the open container of detergent someone dropped. Maybe the person lost his or her grip and let it fall. I told the store, and twice the manager called for a cleanup. I remember walking with my left foot and sliding; my right (op) foot was on the dry floor and not involved. My ROM is still good, can bend the knee OK, and there's no patella pain. Maybe the soft tissue got stunned.
 
Glad you didn’t have a fall. Stiffness is something a lot of people experience for extended periods, so it still has time to resolve. It doesn’t sound like you had any ill effects from this, which is a good thing.
 
Thank you @Jamie. It came as a surprise after a period of feeling good. The weather is damp and more overcast than it was this morning. Come to think of it, the knee that was hit by the motorized scooter is also stiff.
 
Last edited:
Oh yeah, cold damp will set us off!
 
It's got me good this morning @mendogal. So much for Saturday plans. Making new ones that include my buddies the heating pad, ice pack and TV remote.
 
Sunny Sunday morning to all. Yesterday's rain was a doozy, yet the stiffness remains. I've a question about knee anatomy, please. What is on the inside of the kneecap? It hurts when I bend to my ROM (about 120). Might it be the MCL? I thought it was removed during TKR. Adding: I keep wondering if the store slide has anything to do with new knee pain or maybe I'm doing more now that it feels better. Every new twinge worries me. I wish it didn't.
:walking:
I miss walking and am looking for more secure shoes as slides might not be the most supportive for long walks. Open to suggestions, and thank you.
 
Last edited:
When you had your knee replaced, did you get a patellar button or did they leave your natural patella in tact?

Please be sure to wear supportive shoes when walking. Slides are usually a poor choice because your foot can shift as you move. If you’re out walking, it’s time to break out the walking shoes specifically made for this activity….good ones, with lots of support. Amazon has tons of them. Or if you have a specialty shoe store near you, go there for a proper foot analysis and suggestions for shoes.
 
When you had your knee replaced, did you get a patellar button or did they leave your natural patella in tact?

Please be sure to wear supportive shoes when walking. Slides are usually a poor choice because your foot can shift as you move. If you’re out walking, it’s time to break out the walking shoes specifically made for this activity….good ones, with lots of support. Amazon has tons of them. Or if you have a specialty shoe store near you, go there for a proper foot analysis and suggestions for shoes.
Good question about the patella, @Jamie. I think it's a patella button as I once pressed it, and it popped back up. I'll ask my surgeon when I see him in two weeks. Would this make a difference in knee pain? As I've been feeling better the past few days I resumed walking up the 10 steps to our garage. They're steep, and I put one foot on each step holding onto the handrail. Doing this might be re-aggravating the area that recently healed from the PT in January. I'll take the ramp from now on.

Mom wore Saucony walking shoes; they're available on Amazon. Kohls also has a large shoe section in its local store. There is one specialty store in my area, and it's above my price range. My podiatrist told me to stay away from Skechers as they offer no support. Years ago I wore Easy Spirit Motion walking shoes. Thank you for reminding me.
 
The button won’t cause you pain and you cannot tell the difference after surgery. But I needed to know to answer your question about what the underside of the patella looks like now that you have your knee replaced. So, let me know what your surgeon says and I’ll give you a little more information.
 
The button won’t cause you pain and you cannot tell the difference after surgery. But I needed to know to answer your question about what the underside of the patella looks like now that you have your knee replaced. So, let me know what your surgeon says and I’ll give you a little more information.
Thank you for this. Silly me. I’m sorry I magnify everything that happens with this knee and didn’t fuss as much after hip surgery six years ago. I'd prefer to ask him in person than via email as he offers a lot of information when we speak. Thank you.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom