Guest viewing is limited

TKR TRKR 10/13/23 - Moving Forward with Many Detours

Great news! This morning I received a job offer from the first place I interviewed; I said company yet it's a school. As the job description was different from what was told me I asked director if we may have a conversation before I accept as he changed a few things, namely the earlier hours and the possibility of working nights, and ADA parking for my 'scootered' knee. He has to ask the school. My parking permit is for a few more months. The school’s on break; we're meeting 3/27 for me to see the work environment. I'd like this and need to be sure I can physically get around. The school is built on a hill; lots of steps on the grounds. Have a different interview Thursday.
 
Good news! Congratulations on the offer!
I hope you find you're be able to successfully navigate the grounds with your new knee, if you don't receive a better offer before the 27th. Thankfully you may have more than one offer to consider. :fingersx:
Best of luck for Thursdays interview. @dubloosh
 
Choice #1, #2 coming up! At least you already have one offer. I'd say that's a very good thing.
 
Good news! Congratulations on the offer!
I hope you find you're be able to successfully navigate the grounds with your new knee, if you don't receive a better offer before the 27th. Thankfully you may have more than one offer to consider. :fingersx:
Best of luck for Thursdays interview. @dubloosh
Choice #1, #2 coming up! At least you already have one offer. I'd say that's a very good thing.
Hi @Layla and @sistersinhim thank you for your encouragement and good wishes. :) :-) (: Yes, it is good, though all that glitters is not gold. This afternoon I received an email from my new manager telling me that a colleague of his will be available Monday and Tuesday to take me around the grounds and explain more of what the job entails. There is no ADA parking for employees; the only two ADA parking spaces are for visitors to the campus admissions office. Is this legal? I'd have to park in one of the lots surrounding the school, which is built on a hill. I'm limping due to IT band pain and wish the scooter incident hadn't happened. Walking up steep steps will be challenging, especially at 6:45 a.m. I didn't want to turn down the offer and shall ask a lot of questions tomorrow. Doing my best to be positive and never had frustrating mobility issues.
 
Last edited:
There is no ADA parking for employees; the only two ADA parking spaces are for visitors to the campus admissions office. Is this legal?
I'm unable to answer this, but through a quick online search, once you have more information, you may be able to determine this through visiting this site -

ADA.gov US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division
under Accessible Parking Spaces.

Good Luck tomorrow!
 
There is no ADA parking for employees; the only two ADA parking spaces are for visitors to the campus admissions office. Is this legal?
I'm unable to answer this, but through a quick online search, once you have more information, you may be able to determine this through visiting this site -

ADA.gov US Department of Justice Civil Rights Division
under Accessible Parking Spaces.

Good Luck tomorrow!
Thank you, and thank you for the link.
 
A cup of hot chocolate is the perfect nosh when it's too late to eat brownies or have coffee. :mcoffee: Good night, and thank you again. More will be revealed tomorrow!
 
‘They may not have marked Handicapped spots for employees, but they could surely put up a sign and designate a spot for you that is close to the building if they wanted to.
 
‘They may not have marked Handicapped spots for employees, but they could surely put up a sign and designate a spot for you that is close to the building if they wanted to.
You're right. This so far is a nonstarter as the manager neither sent a calendar invitation to meet someone on campus today as he said he would nor did he speak to his manager. I'm setting my sights on Thursday. The knee is in a good mood this morning :happydance: as I am. They need to get organized. Tomorrow is a primary day, and I'll be with familiar people for a long day. The hall we're assigned to has a large kitchen, which means hot water, coffee, tea and refrigeration, plus a large freezer. I have an old-fashioned ice bag with a cover that fits securely. My knee will be happy.
 
You’re wise to consider all this when deciding if this is the job for you. Actions like this during the hiring process (where all parties are usually on their best behavior) could be an indicator of slack management which could present problems for you down the road.
 
You’re wise to consider all this when deciding if this is the job for you. Actions like this during the hiring process (where all parties are usually on their best behavior) could be an indicator of slack management which could present problems for you down the road.
Thank you. It's a private boarding school - unless I noted this earlier - and tuition is very expensive. The campus is beautiful. Wish I'd seen the work area during our interview. The manager is out of the country and arranged for me to speak with a long term employee, who told me there are steps leading downstairs to the office. They're very steep and winding steps and worn in the middle, indicating they haven't been replaced in some time. This is what I'd encounter if I parked in the handicapped area on street level. The employee parking lot is a good five or more blocks from the building and down a hill. I took pictures of both. Dining staff clocks in by the loading dock. The woman who spoke with me said there's been a high turnover when I asked why the position was vacant. Because the manager is away, and she is answering his phone, I sent him a very kind and gracious email that began by saying email is impersonal, and if he was in the office, then I'd call him. I thanked him for the opportunities he presented, said the office, the area leading to it, and the steps are difficult to navigate and respectfully declined his offer.
 
Good evening. I hope everyone had a terrific Tuesday. It's a late evening; I've been up since 3:15 a.m. as today was a primary day, and I worked as an Election Inspector from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. All I thought about today besides needing sleep was how well my op knee behaved. We were all tired by mid-afternoon. I was able to sit for most if not all of the day save for walking around, was unable to elevate, and yet I paid no attention to my op knee because it felt great. The preparation last night would have made anyone roll his or her eyes: pack breakfast and lunch (I took a break to go home and get dinner), pack vitamins, pack Advil and Tylenol to take at appropriate times and bring a pillow in plastic cover for chair (the chairs are hard). I am really surprised, considering I felt "off" and tired all day. Aside from a bit of tightness, the knee did better than I did.
 
Last edited:
This is great! Hopefully you won’t get any delayed response from your knee. You did an excellent job with all the preparations and it paid off. Thank you for volunteering for this very important duty to support our country’s election system.
 
Wow! That's a very long day, dubloosh.
It is great to read how well you did with your five month old knee. I hope you're not paying for it today.
Thanks for taking on the responsibility in overseeing this very important process!
Happy Wednesday!
@dubloosh
 
Thank you @Jamie and @Layla. This work is gratifying to me; I've been doing it nearly two years. My knee is a little stiff today, I think because it's raining. I crave chocolate when I'm tired and brought a few protein bars with me to curb the edge as there were pastries in the kitchen. New York's presidential primary is April 2, and I'll be doing it again.
 
Given the difficulties that election workers have faced in recent elections here in the US, thank you @dubloosh for doing this very important job despite your recent surgery.
Thank you. I'm about 30 minutes north of New York City in the suburbs and don't discuss politics when I'm working there. The most flack I experienced in 2022 was when lines were long, mostly during lunch and at the end of the work day, and people were impatient to get back to work or go home. Yesterday was like a reunion as we'd worked the same primary last March so we knew each other. I hoped for clear weather so my hand and knee would be OK; it was cold and clear.
 
Hi there,

I just read your post. Wow, that sounds awful. Well, almost all of us here on BoneSmart have had problems with overly-aggressive physical therapists. In turn, we have fired them and warned newcomers of them. I'm glad you've moved on and are feeling so well.

Regarding the job, that sounded iffy. If you are 30 minutes north of NYC then you know there are more jobs (as opposed to fish) in the ocean when you're ready. :)

Also, I don't understand why your ADA/handicap permit for parking expires so soon. I had my surgery in Dec. 2022 and my permit lasts until 2027! I know right now your knee is doing well but you might want to ask your surgeon for an extension for at least another year. The thing with our knees is, sometimes it seems great and then you overdo and it doesn't feel good at all.

Last: Thank you for your service! I think you should reward yourself with a little piece of chocolate!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom