Guest viewing is limited

Ankle Total Ankle Replacement Journey

Thought I'd share an hour of therapy starting with the TENS unit and heat. Then the low intensity laser. Don't worry usually it's covered with a towel but I wanted to get a pic. After that we went to massage and the Graston tools using both the broad side and the narrow end to get into the tight spaces.

Next we went to manipulation. In the pics I took, I was pulling back on my toes and he was pulling on my heel. At one point he started pulling on my heel and pushing my toes.

What I didn't get pictures of were him twisting the ankle side to side (gently) with both a pull down and a push up with the twist...both sides. After all I was on a business conference call.

Lastly, it was time for my ice down. I do all my exercises at home on the Bosu ball, wobble board and incline blocks so I definitely get the most out of my PT sessions with things I can't do at home.


Hi KCDewie,
Thanks for this valuable information. I have my ankle replacement set for this Thursday and am wondering how you found your physical therapist? Was it from your surgeon or did you research your area for one? When I am ready I plan to locate one closer to my home rather than take the long drive to my surgeon’s location.
 
@Larryr I actually had used him prior to this event. He really didn't know much about TAR PT and the instructions were very loose. i.e. remove boot, increase weight bearing and mobility as tolerated. There was also a mention to work on my gait. I too was far from my Dr. so had to go locally to someone that hadn't really through it. I don't think there any Drs. in NH that do TARs. I was glad when I went for my 3 month check up that the Dr really showed me how hard he wanted the PT to be mobilizing the ankle. That was a big turning point.
 
Hi KC, so far so good. I am learning to be patient, which is not one of my attributes. Using my scooter to get around and sitting way too much. I need to push myself. Normally I have no issue getting up and about.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom