Lounge Doctor

THR TomT in recovery

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi Tom, I’ll weigh in also.
My first return to the surgeons office was at three weeks post op. My appointment was with the PA. A nurse first slowly rolled off the remaining covering on my incision then commented assuring me it looked good. They x-rayed, answered questions about driving and I don’t even recall what else I asked, but I did have a few questions. I then moved on downstairs to my first of about three PT sessions, which I really wasn’t fond of, so I stopped. My recovery was a good one. I’m thankful.

My first visit with my OS wasn’t until I was three months post op. Surprising...at least I though so. I believe it was Mojo who once said they have you wait that long because you’re usually doing much better by then and done hating on them. :rotfl: There may be some truth to that!

Good luck on Friday. Will love to hear about it afterward!
@TomT

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
@TomT oh nice! I had thought they needed to stay out of the facility-- hopefully all is quick and well!

I think I gave a wrong impression about my LLD. It very likely was caused by tight muscles or the like, and my body compensated by having me waddle. I had no leg lengthening done that I know of. Post op everything was "perceived" rather than actual. I'm sorry to have caused you confusion!!

I have been waiting for years to hear somebody mention "stretching too hard". Post op first hip, I would accidentally wake myself up with a spasmodic stretch. The first two times it happened really hurt! I learned to control it and keep it in my upper body after that. But dang if the same thing didn't happen after my June hernia repair!!! Now that really hurt!! I wonder what causes it?

OP
OP
T

TomT

Country
Zauberflote

Lol oh sorry I must have confused you with someone else I spoke to here who had a shorter leg prior to THR. Yes I can't believe I got myself to sleep on my back all night but some how forgot about my surgery this morning when woke up stretching. Now that it's later in the afternoon, I'm feeling fine and even did some PT outside. Thanks everyone for sharing their experience on the follow-up, I know what to expect now, I'll update you guys on how it went tomorrow.

Ava J

Country
I have been waiting for years to hear somebody mention "stretching too hard". Post op first hip, I would accidentally wake myself up with a spasmodic stretch. The first two times it happened really hurt! I learned to control it and keep it in my upper body after that. But dang if the same thing didn't happen after my June hernia repair!!! Now that really hurt!! I wonder what causes it?
@zauberflöte, this has been my experience with the first hip. About one week in, my body started feeling depressed about the immobility, and I'd stretch with a spasm, especially in the middle of the night. Hardcore. It did hurt, but it didn't bother me because the stretch was such a relief afterward. But yes, it would just spontaneously force me into a stretch. With this right hip, it's less of an issues. I just stretch normal during the day even if it hurts. :D

OP
OP
T

TomT

Country
Hey guys

I'm done with the follow-up appointment, it was actually really fast. They took the bandage off and looked at my wound, there was a spot were it had clearly burst open during the first two weeks but had sealed itself anyway, it looks kind if gnarly but barely any bruising. He had me walk for him, he said I appear to be recovering faster than his average patient, but I'm also probably alot younger so not sure to be proud about that. He told me just to continue walking and not to swim laps for at least 4 weeks. I'm feeling great, thanks for all the support from you guys. I'll continue posting my updates and occasionally try to ease people who are feeling scared in the pre op side.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great news! It always feels reassuring to get the “all looks good” from the surgeon.
Please do continue to post updates. We’d love to follow your progress for awhile longer and updates are often beneficial to those following behind you.
Thanks for sharing the wonderful news. Enjoy the end of the week!
@TomT

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
@TomT , it really won't matter if you miss a session or two of PT. Walking is the best exercise of all for a new hip - as long as you don't do too much of it in the early days.

I 'm glad your check-up appointment went well.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wonderful news. Now continue with what you are doing and life will keep improving and expanding. Have a peaceful evening.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Great news, glad you're follow-up was quick and painless. Nice thing about it being so hot here in Texas is you really don't mind icing! :ice: :loll:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
There's nothing like a good follow up visit with your OS.. it's like a graduation of sorts. You are getting very good at this recovery business.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:egypdance:great report...
Keep all slow and steady and this hip recovery story just keeps getting better and better.
I am ever so grateful to have my life back.:happydance:

OP
OP
T

TomT

Country
Hello guys

I haven't posted in a few days I've been concentrating on walking and rehab everyday. I however feel like I've reached a plateau. I can't seem to walk with out my cane. The second week of my recovery I was able to do so a little but now I can't seem to do it. If I take a step my right knee feels unstable it wobbles a little I'm also having pain in my right ankle. I assume it's because I'm having to walk in completely different manner thanks to the new length of my leg. Did any of you guys experience anything like this? And how long was it before you were able to walk with out a cane?

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I used a cane for quite a while as I concentrated on walking correctly with a good gait heel/toe. I would say 6-8 weeks for me just to get my brain to relearn proper gait from the limping and waddling I had been doing pre operatively. You have a new leg length to relearn proper walking and are still very early in your recovery so use the cane till you can walk correctly. There is no time table to meet for walking without aids as the goal is to walk correctly and not throw the rest of your body out of alignment. Patience is constantly needed for recovery with so many things but also celebrate how far you have come and how well you are doing at this early stage. Have a great day.

OP
OP
T

TomT

Country
Hello Leeja

I'm sure you are correct it's just at the rate I was going on week two I thought my recovery would keep going quickly and when I hit this plateau it felt a little disappointing. I am still making other improvement such as flexibility and being able to roll into my side during sleep now so I guess I should be happy about that at least. After I posted this morning I went for a short walk outside and there is definitely something wrong with my knee now like a slight sprain or something so maybe I should slow it down on the walking as well

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Probably a wise choice to slow down and let your knee adjust also to the different length.

We all get excited and think the path will be a smooth upward but recovery is more like the picture below. You are still doing great at this juncture. Keep listening to your hip and your body as you progress on the healing journey.
1596987548364.png

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@TomT Are you wearing shoes that you worn pre-op? We recommend that you purchase new shoes post op as wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern causes all kinds of aches and pains.

OP
OP
T

TomT

Country
Hey Jacey,

Actually yes I am wearing my old shoes however I did remove the previous shoe lift. I didn't consider the wear pattern on the bottom and that totally makes sense now that I think about it. Most of my walking is done inside do to the Texas heat, but I will try your advice and see if that offers me some relief

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
spring7799
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom