TKR

Kctsh2019

Country
United States United States
I am having my first RTKR on March 6th. I am dreading it cause I am only 45. But surgeon said it needed to be done. I'm bone on bone. I have been reading everything I can on BoneSmart. It has been really helpful. I have one question: lot of people have been telling me to do exercises now. I have no clue what to start. I have been trying to ride my stationary bike. It got so painful I stopped. So if someone has done exercises before surgery please help me!!!

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! It's a bit of a conundrum, trying to do exercises with a badly arthritic knee. My suggestion is that you don't even try. After all, it will only be two weeks before your surgery so you'd hardly do anything productive anyway.

Here's our Knee Recovery: The Guidelines to read.
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Josephine's given you the recovery reading.
Here's the pre-op reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@Kctsh2019
My LTKR is on 1st March and have been doing some simple exercises beforehand.
I am not suggesting you go against Josehine's suggestions as she is the expert but I just felt I wanted to do what I could beforehand to help.
I found my exercises online and are guidelines given by the NHS as I am in the UK.
Mine just consist of ankle pumps, a few leg raises from a lying position, only raising the leg about 10 inches. Flexing the thigh muscles so as to get the back of the knee close to the bed, doing the same with a rolled towel under the ankle and then, sitting on a chair, sliding my foot backwards to gently bend the knee.
I'm not doing anything to extreme.
FYI, I can't use the stationary bike either, the knee is just too stiff.

IMO the best way to help your knee is strengthen the muscles in the thigh. One is straight leg raises with light ankle weight. The second is, on your back, bridging (raise your hips with heels planted on the floor). I was doing these until about a week before surgery. Don't do anything that hurts much, of course. But these are exercises that strengthen muscles without requiring much of the knee.

Josephine, Celle, Bionic, and maryo52

Thank you so much for the information on TKR! It's been very helpful and I appreciate it so much! I have not had the best few days. Sorry it has taken so long to reply! I look forward to sharing my journey. I have started doing some strengthening exercises which has been difficult with my pain. But I am not pushing myself for more pain.

Good luck on the 6th. There won't be any bone on bone once its done so you will have lost that source of pain and discomfort! I would echo Bionic's advice if you can do it without pain but if not then don't beat yourself up . Plenty of time for the bike later on in your recovery. Dont skip the meds !

Soon your knee pain will be the "good" kind of pain after TKR and you'll be on your way to a new start. Best of luck!!!

@Trailers @maryo52

I am ready to get this journey started and to be in less pain. Thanks for all the comments.

I am stuck on some thoughts about whether or not to move our bed downstairs. I have about 15 to 20 steps to go up in the apartment inside. My fiance thinks it may be better on me, but the hospital PT thinks I will be okay to climb them. What is everyone's thoughts on stairs? Need some advice and how others did with stairs to start with.

@Kctsh2019
My house is a maze of stairs too. From the ground floor 13 stairs up plus 3 down to get to the bedroom and from the ground floor 6 stairs to the lounge so there is no way of getting round them.
I had 2 hip replacements last year and managed the stairs no problem. I am currently in hospital after TKR yesterday and expect to manage the stairs as well as I did for the last 2 ops.
Previously husband stood behind me when I was going up and in front when I was going down to be on the safe side but he only needed to do that once in each direction to satisfy himself that I could cope.
I actually think my stairs are a good form of physio.
I hope this helps

For what it’s worth my thought would be to leave it as it is and stay with the stairs.Taken slowly and correctly with your crutch they are not that daunting. I don’t think they’ll discharge you until you feel able to manage stairs.

I am stuck on some thoughts about whether or not to move our bed downstairs.
If everything else you need is downstairs (especially a WC!) I'd say leave the bed. Down once in the morning, up once at night, and it doesn't really matter how long it takes -- just take it steady, you'll have no bother.

@Kctsh2019 We made up a single bed downstairs just in case, but I found the stairs fine, just take your time and have your fiancé come down in front of you the first time. It can be a little daunting standing at the top for the first time. A friend gave me a tip. He said just remember ABC going up and reverse it, CBA, coming down. A=able leg, B=bad leg, C=crutch or cane. It helped especially when coming down. I'd stand at the top of the stairs, freeze for a second and then remember CBA.
I had to give up cycling years ago because my knees couldn't stand it, but I did manage the pre-op exercises ok.

@Roy Gardiner That's what I'm hoping for Roy, but will probably have to wait until the right knee has been done.

I have a "nest" where I spend my day (being phased out at this point), and 7 steps to the level where the bathroom is. You will do fine on steps. You will naturally go slowly, holding on tight. Every time I did those steps I felt a little bit like Rocky. Small victories are great morale boosters.

Bionic, Trailers, Roy Gardiner, Lindylee, maryo52

Thanks for everyone's comments. We have decided to leave bed where it is. We are going to get a recliner for me to use. Thanks again

@Kctsh2019
Although you will be able to manage stairs when you come out of hospital, initially it's really better if you only have to do that once a day - come downstairs in the morning and go back upstairs in the evening.

Have your "nest" and sleeping area on the same floor as the bathroom.

By the way, I am going to edit your post, above, to remove all the tags. Please don't use multiple tags, as doing so makes it hard for people reading on small devices. All they see at first is a list of tags. You don't need to tag everyone who posts on your thread. They are reading your thread and they'll see what you write anyway.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Tomorrow at 5:20am EST! I will begin my journey. Will try to post something soon.

Best wishes!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom