TKR TKR September 10

Thanks! @SusieShoes ! I have a new trick with the dreaded stairs in my home. I go up or down only one step with both feet for 4 steps and then holding the railing for dear life I do one foot over the other reciprocally for 4 steps. If it’s too painful I stop and finish the easy way. Sometimes I can finish the hard way. I can’t believe how stairs just seem to taunt me :heehee: whenever I see a set.
@flsungirl thats amazing and wonderful that the diclofenac cream helps you! It needs an Rx right?? I’ve been using CBD cream but not 100% sure if it eases any pain. It just feels good rubbing it in :praying: ha! I’m so impressed that you are killing those 11 hr work days!! You my friend influenced my decision to go back to work next week at 10 weeks-2 weeks early! I was given 12 weeks medical leave but I’ve really been feeling strong and handling the discomfort in my knee after doing the 1 million little things around my house on my feet all day (you know all those rooms, closets and cabinets needing cleaning out after 28 years of neglect due to working full time after my youngest child’s birth) Plus I raked my entire back yard last weekend! I think I’m ready to try! I asked to go back working one 10 hr day shift and 2 night shifts ( that are 15 hrs) for the first 2 weeks. They agreed and even reassured me that I’m not to worry about running to emergencies and don’t have to go on ambulance transports until I feel stronger. So wish me well!
@Kiwigirl62 good for you saying no to those :censored: stairs! And I agree with @Softtail that we will conquer them when we are ready in our own time.
I saw my orthopedic today (9 1/2 weeks) and incision totally healed and X-ray looks fine! I never went back to PT after 4 weeks (with doctors blessings) and I simply follow BoneSmart’s recovery guide (and ok maybe walk a little further and definitely have been doing lots of housework that was so overdue) and he was really pleased with my knee movement and never even measured flexion. :yahoo:. Said he’ll see me at 5 months!
To all my fellow stateside BoneSmart friends, Happy Thanksgiving!!! Thank you ALL for getting me through some rough times!!
 
@andpeaches i had one of my providers right me an rx for the diclofenac with refills when both knees were bad. I had thought about using the CBD oil but didn’t know which ones were legit. And yes! It feels so good rubbing it in! I am lucky where I work because if it would have been too much for me I could go home. I’m not gonna kid ya...by the end of the first week I was beat! This week was easier but I took a nap today already! Next week I’m back to full time and am glad I eased into it. I wish you all the best when you start back at work.

I had some screaming zingers last night :scare: They’re were about 6 of them and then they were gone! Also bilateral shin pain for a bit. My body is still not healed...but the improvement has been astronomical! I’m hoping by Christmas most of this will be a memory :angel:

Hope everyone enjoys their friends and families this Thanksgiving

Melanie
 
You’re doing so well @flsungirl! I’m still hoping for that astronomical turnaround to happen for me. Happy Thanksgiving
 
Well...week 11 begins tomorrow. I went and got nails done today and compared to 2 weeks ago it was a breeze. There was no struggling to get out of the mani chair :happydance: Then out for a few hours Christmas shopping. All in all a pretty darn good day. Now for a cup of coffee and icing and elevating “the knee” which feels fabulous. Ahhh the comforts of ice. :ice: My first full week at work starts tomorrow and I feel I’m ready. I was a little tired this weekend but nothing compared to the first week back. I’m trying to use my recumbent bike, I can make the pedals go all the way around now! My left knee, the unoperated one, creaks and groans when I pedal. Righty doesn’t miss that nasty sound :good-bad: Perfect emoji for my knees!

Hope everyone is continuing to make progress. Look forward to catching up with all my new knee comprades :console2: Have a spectacular week!

Melanie :mooncat:
 
Ahhh Melanie,
Another week done.Sounds like the prediction i heard where there was a big change between weeks 10 and 12 is working for us.
@Roxiegirl it takes time. Ive had the vice like feeling but above my knee. Its hard to get your head by it, ice was my best friend!
 
:wave:Hi @flsungirl and dear @Kiwigirl62 !!
I too just commented how much better I’m feeling as I head into week 11. Went back to work (I left a long post on my thread with details) and am simply flabbergasted that I made it and R knee feels even better today!! I’m very vey thankful today! Hope you both sail through your work weeks! :loveshwr:
 
Well.......I made a big mistake today. I tried to romp down the stairs because going up was so easy. :bignono:Ouch! Evidently going down stairs is NOT the same as going up!:whistle: I had to sit and ice for awhile at work. There’s the setback I knew had to happen! The knee was not happy :tantrum2: Hoping the knee is not going to give me a hard time after I treated it like it was ready to go down stairs!

I’m hoping my girls @Kiwigirl62 and @andpeaches keep on keeping on:yes!:

Thanks to everyone for the positive vibes. You are amazing!:loveshwr:
 
Sorry about your set back, you were doing so well! :console2:Hopefully it’s a short set back.
 
Going down the steps has always been harder than going up for a tkr. Even before my tkr, going down the steps hurts worse than going up. I went down them backwards! That was much less painful. My OS suggested that years ago.
 
@sistersinhim , thanks for that tip.....going down backwards. ..I'm going to try that tomorrow :yay:
@flsungirl OUCH, i can actually feel that pain of trying the down thing :blackcloud:. ..funny a week or so back at work we get a bit complacent and dont think.....nearly had a moment today where i was going to step down of a tram on wrong foot....big drop too.:yikes:
But overdid a bit at work Tuesday and my knee told me today.....arghhhh had to take panadol....was a bit proud of myself cause none for 3 days....oh well:whistle:
 
going down backwards. ..I'm going to try that tomorrow
You'd be surprised at how much it helps! I did it for over 20 years. Now, I can go down normally! Yay! Oh, and another good thing about going down backwards...if you fall, you fall up, not down!
 
I did the backwards walking down the stairs also (make sure there is a railing!) - worked like a charm though I got a lot of funny stares from folks at work :heehee:
 
Last edited:
Even out in public I'd walk backwards. Talking about funny looks!! But, you get to the point that you just don't care anymore. Our safety comes first!
 
I went down backwards during recovery all the time. It was far less painful for me. Jerome Bettis (Steeler football player) gave me the idea because he said he had to go down backwards for a few days after games. Now I only go backwards if I’m lugging things down the steps like laundry or big boxes.
 
Good news! The steps did not conquer the Knee! It feels right spritely today. It’s cold here in central Florida ...39 degrees this morning with a wind chill. I was worried the knee would be a barometer but it’s not. It’s unbelievable how so much has changed after those first 6 weeks! I was doubting I had did the right thing but am starting to change my mind. I’m not saying it’s perfect but I am saying it’s so much better. For all the new knee newbies...hang in there. As the BS way states....it takes time.


Maybe next week I’ll try going down the steps backwards. Wooo hoooo
 
Maybe next week I’ll try going down the steps backwards. Wooo hoooo
@flsungirl and @sistersinhim it WORKS a treat, tried on the way into work this morning - and fair flew down them stairs, foot over foot backwards:rotfl:. Now to finish work early and go to PT and then home to do next weekly update on my thread......OH Happy Days :egypdance:
 
Back
Top Bottom