Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR Mon. July 21 at noon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tiredwife Luckily I can't tell if the staples are painful or not! The whole right side of my knee is numb. I assume that is normal at this stage. But yes, I wouldn't want to see how they put those staples in!
 
I didn't have staples. He used dissolve-able stitches internally and glue. I am 4 months and 9 days since my surgery and I still have that numb area on the lateral side of my knee as well. Since it doesn't keep me from doing anything I don't even think about it.
 
Thanks @Phil75070 nice to hear other peoples experiences. Did you have to wear TEDs? My protocol says to wear them all the time except for showering & skin care & laundering them. They are absolutely driving me mad! I do the ankle pumps all the time, quad presses & get up to walk about often.
 
They must have some kind of surgical staple gun or something. You're looking good.
I hear you on the shower. It feels sooo good to have that first one, doesn't it? :bath:
 
@kneeper Oh yes that shower is bliss!! After I looked at my staples I could just picture them stapling my leg with a staple gun like I use st home! Haha! Yes I guess they have some special surgical stapler. (I hope!)
 
@DianeJ it sounds like you are doing well; you sound pretty chipper. And I bet they have a staple gun that is exactly like construction one, but they have sterilized it. I asked for stitches but got staples but as it turned out my scar is beautiful.

I had to wear TEDs...they still want me to wear them for my swelling but I keep resisting. Aren't they awful?

And oh...the magical shower! I will never forget that first one. Pure bliss. I was in hospital 8 days, then went to rehab hospital. First shower was on day 10!
 
@Gingiebot I saw your pic of your scar & it does look great! You have healed very nicely indeed. Must have a very good surgeon! Yes I've always been a proponent of looking at the bright side of things & I feel a positive attitude surely makes healing go smoother. Seems to anyhow! :)
 
@DianeJ No TEDS at anytime. In the hospital and in-patient PT they had a cuff (for lack of a better description) that went on the foot of my operated leg and the calf of my non-operated leg and they were hooked up to a machine that hung off the bottom of the bed. They would inflate and deflate every 30 seconds or so. When finally discharged I was given no TEDS and no instructions to use anything like that. I just had the anti-coagulant shots I had to give myself in the stomach twice per day for 10 days.
 
@Phil75070 I get the shots twice a day, and also had the bootee things at hospital. Don't have the bootees here at the rehab, but still get the shots. I think I get the shots for 2 weeks total. The TEDs are awful & feel like tourniquets! I am leaving them off today to give my legs a break! Oh so much more comfortable without!!
 
@DianeJ
Just checking in to see how you are. The constipation & nausea seems to be part of recovery for most of us.

As I was going to be on pain medication anyway,I detoxed by giving up tea, coffee and any other caffeine based drink or food. The pain meds stop the caffeine withdrawal headaches.
So, to counter act the nausea I brought in peppermint tea and ginger tea bags and just asked for boiling water when they bring the tea & coffee around & at meal time.

I also asked to be put on Pantoflux as this relieves acid reflux and this has worked for me.

Luckily, I enjoy prunes & prune juice and have some at breakfast and again about 8:00 pm Along with drinking lots of water throughout the day, constipation is rarely an issue.

These suggestions may help, but as always we each have to find what works for our own body.

May you find peace & comfort and improved sleeping at night along with naps during the day.

It is truly a long and winding road and at the moment we are all in the slow lane.
Kind thoughts & best wishes, x
 
@marmora Good to hear from you! Thanks for checking on me. I got the stomach problems resolved so I am eating fine now. Don't know what caused it, but people have told me the anesthesia really messes up the appetite for a few days so I assume that was it! I am trying to stay on top of the constipation that goes with the pain meds. I get Colace a couple of times a day & Senocot in the evening. Prune juice didn't seem to help me (besides being ghastly tasting to me!) I do drink a lot of water too & that surely helps! Fortunately I don't have to take iron anymore either - my blood count jumped right back after surgery. Actually, now that I think about it, my stomach problems stopped right after I quit the iron! Such a relief!

I love coffee and asked for a cup this morning with breakfast - that was not a good plan! Made me really jittery so no more caffeine while getting pain pills! I didn't think about that happening! You were smart to get off all that stuff!

I wish you the very best also & hope your recovery goes smooth as silk!! And yes, you are right about being in the slow lane - I am being patient and not pushing too hard, but yet hard enough to make slow and steady progress! :yes!:
 
You hate TEDs, I hate TEDs, we all hate TEDs.
But my doctor says to leave them on until the four week checkup.
Doing what I am told. I have had a few strokes and heart attacks in the past, so it could happen to me.

But I dont like them
 
@Reebok @DianeJ @Phil75070 @Gingiebot @kneeper @tiredwife
Monday 28 July Had my shower at 8:30 heavenly and removed the TEDs even more relief and then PT at 9:15.

Now back in bed, elevating on 3 pillows and Cryo Cuff of the knee with lovely chilled ice water . If I had a choice between a Gin & Tonic at the moment or the Cryo Cuff; hands down the Cryo Cuff.

Plan to keep the TEDs off for another 20 minutes until group PT at 10:45.
Had my first DVT at age 21 and several more and the occasional PE and on Xeralto as a blood thinner,so TEDs over the years on and off.
And no matter how long - when they're off it's lovely.

TEDs are a inconvenient, uncomfortable part of the recovery and my OS wants me to west them for 12 weeks - due to my history. And the PT thought he was giving me a Christmas present when handing me 3 pairs, one to wear, while one in the wash and the third pair drying !

Whatever time zone you're in have a good day or if you're still sleeping pleasant 'TED free' dreams.
 
Do you have the teds on all the time? I was told to take them off overnight.
 
[Bonesmart.org] TKR Mon. July 21 at noon!
They never looked like this on me!

@DianeJ, there is no scientific evidence that TEDs prevent blood clots. Some folks find they help with swelling; I just found that they made mine worse and cut into my legs and hurt. So as long as you're up and moving around off and on during the day, you really don't need to wear them if you don't want to. What you OS doesn't know won't hurt either of you in this case :heehee:.
 
I had my left tkr on 22nd July, and am looking gorgeous in my TED too. Had physio today so had to endure the very bouncy car journey back to the hospital. Got stuck on the toilet in the hospital and had to get my husband to sneak in and lift me off! Constipation being dealt with through fruit, water and prunes. Drugs make me either laugh, cry or sleep. So although I have gained a new knee I have lost all dignity!!! Hope you stay positive, and remember,the down moments will pass. Have a great recovery and welcome to the wild side!
 
Due to history of multiple DVT and PEs my TEDs 24/7 for 12 weeks is what my OS told me / except for showering,
Feel a bit naughty today, took them off this morning to shower and have on ordinary white knee high socks and white shoes.
Nearly got away with this 'madness' UNTIL Sister Manus Doyle saw me and in no uncertain terms told me, to put on my TED stockings immediately.
If you attended a Catholic grade school or high school - you will understand !
Great feeling like a child again and yes my TED stockings are back on !
 
Well then it makes sense. Enjoy your "free" time during the shower zone. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom