TKR June 22nd--Very Scared about Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My left knee is not fine, it's swollen larger than the one I'm replacing (which actually isn't even swollen!). But lefty is not bone-on-bone. My doctor said once my right knee is in good shape, he thinks my left will shape up and serve me for quite awhile. So that helped make my decision to just go with the right knee for now. I'm going to have to remind him on surgery day, because looking at my two knees, one would definitely conclude the left one is the problem.
 
A week from today I will finally have my surgery. Today I am stopping pain meds and vitamins. I have just found out I can take 1000 milligrams of Tylenol a day now and that's a relief as I imagine my arthritic bone on bone knee will hurt quite a bit. I am working all day and saying farewell to patients. Tough to be the vulernable one for me. I feel quite sad. And tired. And hard to answer their questions about when I will return to work. Many people here say 12 weeks so that would mean the summer off. A lot of letting go for sure.

Found out I will be on heparin via injection for some time after surgery due to anticardiolipid issues. I've had to object myself before during pregnancies so I don't mind as long as clots stay away.

Shout outs to Sara and Clara. Thinking about you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Barnmom22 just want to wish you luck for Wednesday, you will be fine and we will be here waiting to hear from you so that we can cheer you on...try to get some rest, make sure you drink plenty of fluids on Tuesday so you are hydrated and your IV stick is easier... Keep us posted :wave:
 
I just went back to work today. It will be three months tomorrow since my revision so I have actually been out for 13 weeks. Those last few weeks helped me a lot to be able to complete a 10 hour shift today without any pain. Good luck with your surgery on Wednesday. I'll be watching for you on the other side.
 
@Barnmom22
Just want to wish you all the best for tomorrow, hope all goes well. All your BoneSmartie friends will be waiting to welcome you to recovery.
Tabby xxx
 
Wishing you all the best. The countdown is officially on!


49 year old
Recurrent dislocating patella left knee since age 14
Meniscus tear repair 1 March 13
Scheduled for BTKR in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
thank you all. And @Tabbycat I appreciate the meditation links. I am going to start on them today. Waiting to hear about time of surgery. Feel nauseous. Think its nerves. Or else those antibacterial cloths they make you use after showering three days in a row. I rarely get nauseous so will eat light and try to stay calm.I remember Clara started a recovery thread the day before so I might do the same later today. Hmmm...what to title it?
 
@Barnmom22 your brain is kind of mush the first few days after surgery, so starting your thread early may help...I remember the first few posts post op, my auto correct needed auto correct lol
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I set up a recovery thread. @Happydale you are right. Waiting these long months in physical pain and trepidation about surgery and its inherent risks has been awful. But now a new phase can begin.
 
What is your recovery thread going to be named?? So I can be on the lookout.
 
Hi Clara. I set it up. It's entitled Barnmom22's recovery thread.
 
Early is good, mine was at 11:30 and it seemed like I was waiting for an eternity, lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom