TKR June 22nd--Very Scared about Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, managing after-surgical pain is far more successful than attempting to do the same pre-surgery.

I spent one year and four months trying to find the reason for my knee pain and since the first two MRIs showed very little degeneration, my doctors were reluctant to go for a TKR. I tried every OTC pain medication and Tramadol. Knee braces, too. PT. Swimming. Icing and elevating. Heat. A cane. Tumeric capsules.

Honestly, not one thing made a bit of difference other than staying off my feet. I wasn't better after being off my feet, it just didn't hurt when I was sitting.

Is what you are doing so far helping? If not, my only advise is to be grateful your surgery is soon. That awful pain will be gone then, replaced by healing pain that will get better every day, rather than worse.
 
I think you'll be glad you're getting the wedge. Fighting pillows can be aggravating!
 
icing you knee can help relieve pain before surgery, as well as afterwards. Have you tried that?
 
Making the rounds for my pre-op appointments. Chest X-ray is clear, cardio is good, blood work was good--at least I'm getting a thorough going over. I have to see a Hematologist next week (due to a possible clotting issue) and then I am done. Today I went to a 2 hour class at the NYC hospital I am having the surgery at. I have to say that 90& of what was covered I had already learned here on this site. The Physical Therapist sounded very aggressive though but I am prepared to not overdo it no matter what, thanks to Bonesmart. So physically I am ready.

Emotionally I'm not feeling strong. I've been feeling invincible most of my life and now have this searing sense of vulnerability that's throwing me for a loop. I rarely cry but have been doing so every day, especially when in pain or tired which is much of the time. I am trying to be philosophical about it and see this challenge as character building. In addition to knee rebuilding.

My internist begged me to stop looking at this site and others because she thinks it's scaring me more than necessary. But I feel that the education I am getting is helping me prepare. Forewarned is forearmed????
 
Hey, Barnmom22, you're coming into the final stretch before your surgery, which can be a trying time. You have a lot of pain, you hope the surgery will relieve the pain, but you know things don't always go as planned, so you're a little scared. It's all normal. From now until about three months or more afterward is a very emotional time, so what you've described is all within the range of normal experiences.

I'm anxiously chomping at the bit for my second replacement on June 14th, so we'll be close to one another on the recovery side. I had my left knee done in April 2015, and it went very well. Almost better than textbook. It was still an arduous process. Fortunately, I had very little pain, but I did have a little of all the things we talk about here. The brain fog drove me nuts as well as the length of time it took my stamina to return.

You know from reading here there will be a lot of emotional ups and downs. It won't be fun while you're working through them, but it should make it easier to realize they are expected and temporary. If they begin to not seem that way, please seek additional help from your support team (friends and family) or your medical team. I warned my husband in advance to expect me to cry for no apparent reason during my recovery, and he was very good about it when it did happen.

You'll be fine. :)
 
Of course you are feeling vulnerable! You are having to put your trust in the hands of your OS, the hospital staff, and a PT among others, at a time when you are going to be 'indisposed!' You will not be able to physically do a great deal for quite some time. But, no one is taking away your voice. You are still in charge of your treatment and your life, you can still make decisions, and your physical limitations are not permanent.

As far as your internist's request, he probably has no idea of the integrity of BoneSmart. I asked my OS if he'd heard of it and he has and thought it was a good source of information to supplement his care. We joked that BoneSmart saved him from a lot of questions both before and after surgery.

Keep in mind, too, that it is likely you ARE seeing some 'worst case scenarios' here. Most people who have knee replacements go through the process, heal, and move on. Those who have run into complications are the ones who continue to need the support and advice found here. At least that's what I tell myself when I saw infections and revisions and become concerned.

On totally other note, I'm amazed at how different pre-op experiences are. I ONLY had blood work and MRSA testing. No chest x-rays. No heart tests. No stress test. No primary care physical required (although I did that anyway.) No joint class offered. No interview with the anesthesiologist (lots of paperwork) or PT prior to the surgery day. I've asked several of my friends who have had joint replacements and they have had the same experiences! I'm not sure if having more pre-op 'activities' would calm me, or stress me more!
 
Thanks for your responses. Polar bear my 65th birthday is 6/14 so I will be thinking about you on that day. Your advice and gimpy girls advice are wise and will help me as I work hard every day to be more positive. thank you both!
 
Many have said that the doctors and therapists don't want us on this site. I think it's because they are finding that the Bonesmart way means less money for them. But, the Bonesmart way is the proven best way to rehab a TKR.

At my class the therapist was also saying it was going to be aggressive. She said we couldn't go home until we reached 90/0. That is absolutely ridiculous! Please don't let them bully you.
 
Remember that after your surgery you will get better. The pain will eventually go away. Try to keep your sight on the end product that will be a pain free knee. There may be ups and downs and twists and turns along the way but you will have that happy ending.
 
Quick question: when people write they were prescribed oxy do they mean something like Percocet or Narco which has oxy as an ingredient? Or do they mean pure oxy? (Just trying to get educated about pain relievers)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's a good question. I know Percocet is the brand name for a pill with Oxycodone and acetaminophen(Tylenol). Then there is Oxycodone by itself. I had that for my pain management. I'm not sure what's in Norco though.
 
My internist begged me to stop looking at this site and others because she thinks it's scaring me more than necessary.
Many have said that the doctors and therapists don't want us on this site.
Why tell them? You don't need their approval for what books you read and I think this is the same.
Just do what you think is best for you.
 
I have had complications of my knee- now dealt with. I stay here because there will be others who need my help and encouragement. They need to hear that it will work out. You will be fine. Life will be so much easier. Your pain will get less not more. Even those of us that had complications are glad we did it. [emoji4]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
My internist begged me to stop looking at this site and others because she thinks it's scaring me more than necessary.
@Barnmom22 I can think of several 'other' sites that are so negative they are toxic - but please - not BoneSmart! :cry:
Many have said that the doctors and therapists don't want us on this site.
@sistersinhim can you support this generalisation? Some of the staff have been to medical conferences and hip/knee surgeons have been very positive about BoneSmart and readily taken posters to put up in their offices.
 
@Josephine, I would never be able to remember who said that about their doctors or therapists. I've been reading daily since joining months ago. It was also months ago that I read it, except for the one the other day. The gentle therapy sure isn't popular around here among those that haven't had knees done. All I hear is about how awful the therapy will be and that I had to do it to walk again. They actually had me in tears this morning in Sunday School with their cruel comments about the terrible therapy I'm facing. I just wish people would pray for me and keep their comments to themselves! I am so looking forward to the day the US believes the gentle way is the only way to rehab a TKR!
 
Believe me, it's not just the US - it's world wide!
 
Now I am 14 days away from the other side. Curve ball thrown this morning: found out that I am positive for anticardiolipid antibodies. I was diagnosed with them in 1989 after having 3 miscarriages. [worked out fine as I have two lovely grown daughters] Have been on low dose aspirin since then. Never have had a deep vein clot or incident nor any other symptoms. But saw a hematologist as part of tkr work up. My IGM is 23 which is low/medium. I am afraid it will delay surgery. Hematologist is calling OS today. She's not alarmed just wants to make sure my post surgical blood thinning program is set. Has anyone else had this issue?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is the wedge @sistersinhim got, and I will be getting as well

broken link removed: https://tinyurl.com/elevation2foam

All the best to you in your upcoming surgery. Mine is in August and Im terrified too..
 
Thank you. I bought the wedge. Right now I find pillows more comfortable but will use the wedge after surgery for sure. I'm not terrified any more. A little sad about having to stop work and depend on my family. I am fortunate to have a loving husband, a sister who is coming for a week and two daughters ready to jump in and help as well. Living in NYC makes meals easy. We have delivery to the building from hundreds of restaurants. Imagine the summer will be for recovery. Always wanted a summer off but not like this!
 
Hi @barnmom. Can you tell me a little more about the cardiolipin antibodies and what the doctor said about them and if you had any other tests
I have the same thing discovered after I had a couple of mIscarriages.


49 year old
Recurrent dislocating patella left knee since age 14
Meniscus tear repair 1 March 13
Scheduled for BTKR in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom