TKR June 22nd--Very Scared about Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Barnmom22, a couple comments from someone scheduled for surgery 2 days after you, and also facing a possible surgery delay (mine is due to a possible infection from a wisdom tooth extraction). I have been obsessed with thinking about my upcoming surgery, and also very emotional. The thought of delaying my date is devastating to me, but I'm starting to adjust to the idea. As I've been told, better safe than sorry.

Regarding the pros of reading BoneSmart - I have been on this site almost daily since my surgery was scheduled. While perhaps a few stories from other members have been a bit scary, to me it is uplifting to see that others are getting through these traumas. Someone posts on a low day, and in the next day or two, they're often way better. I have a friend who had TKR a year ago and I have concluded that her biggest problem was that she didn't have an accurate picture of the recovery. She had to cancel a trip she had planned for a month after surgery - no wonder she was devastated. I think by reading BoneSmart, I have a good handle on the range of possibilities. I have realistic expectations, and I feel way better prepared and in control of my recovery. I've gotten great tips and ideas too. My friends and family are sick of talking about my surgery (they don't let on, but I imagine this is true!) so I can always chat about it here. And a big bonus: I love how supportive and caring everyone is on this site.

We will get through this together!!
 
@homestead: I am far from an expert on this blood clotting issue but am happy to share what I know with you. Are private messages allowed on Bone Smart? If so perhaps we should discuss that way as I am unsure it would be of interest to everyone???

@Happydale--your message this morning cheered me up instantly. And I agree that having a community of fellow TKR folks is more precious than gold right now. I will hope for good news today from OS and internist. A delay would mean more days and nights of arthritis pain which has increased daily over the past two months. And my psychotherapy practice is taking major hits from the time away as it is. There is the loss of income, but also guilt over not being able to be there with the patients that have entrusted me with their care.

I know what you mean about friends and family not letting on about being tired of the knee thing already. And that upsets me also because I know that initially after surgery it's going to take even more care and concern from them. I see the glaze fall over their eyes. My husband is wonderful but this surgery could not come at a worse time for him. We are moving offices, and have a 4 month old high energy puppy and helping a daughter move into her first apartment on her own. I can verbally participate but can't walk pup or pack boxes etc. So I am trying to leave him to his tasks and know that when 6/22 rolls around he will be by my side.

I am very sorry about your tooth. I've been flossing twice a day and brushing a lot in efforts to avoid the situation you are faced with. Sounds like you have worked it through in your mind though and know the risks of infection have to outweigh the intense desire to get it done already. Please keep me posted and also write again when you can.
 
My friends and family are sick of talking about my surgery (they don't let on, but I imagine this is true!) so I can always chat about it here.
So true! We become a bit obsessed with our knees don't we? And for good reason! :)
 
I have had DVTs. I was sent to a hematologist so he could show me it would be safe to have my knees done. It was the reason I didn't want to have my knees done. I was terrified. He explained and took over the planning. Have had 4 knee replacements and no issues.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
If you wouldn't mind elaborating I would really like to hear about your pre and post surgery blood thinning regimen.
 
Hey, Barnmom22, I made a mistake when I said my surgery was two days after you. My surgery is next Thursday (6/16) Yikes! The oral surgeon cleared me today, so even though my mouth is still sore, I'm going to try to quit worrying about it. I know he's very conservative and wouldn't have me move ahead if it wasn't safe. The scary thing is that there is no way of knowing for sure that I don't have an infection.

I hope the story @waitingtogarden shared will cheer you up too. Let us know what your doctors had to say. I found a quote by Dr. Christiane Northrup, MD who wrote Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom. She said "I often tell my patients that surgery, when properly prepared for, can become a healing ceremony that is both life-changing and life-enhancing." As you and others share not only health information but also the intertwining of personal lives, it emphasizes that we are whole people, not just knees! Our surgeries impact more than our bodies, and more than our own lives. I'd love my surgery to be an opportunity to enhance my relationships, and at a minimum show me I'm stronger than I give myself credit for. Right now, I'm feeling like a total wimp! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one crying a lot. Thank you!
 
Hi @Barnmom22 yes I think you can private message me. That would be great


49 year old
Recurrent dislocating patella left knee since age 14
Meniscus tear repair 1 March 13
Scheduled for BTKR in 2016

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Happydale. So glad your dental issues won't be an impediment to going ahead with surgery. Hope you are happy to realize date is sooner rather than later as then the healing begins. I liked your quote a lot and will be thinking about it as the days unfold. One of my favorite quotes is "pain remembered is pain no more." I know that in a few months time we will both be remembering pain but not experiencing it any longer.
 
I went back to work several half days during my third week. Luckily I have a desk job that allowed me to elevate it a little and ice it. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone but you may be able to see a few clients during that third week, just space them out throughout the week. I know what you mean by not wanting to be a burden in your husband. I am very independent as well. My husband and son were great and it was a great learning experience to be dependent for once in my life! Maybe the experience will be a future paper for you.:egypdance:
I drink tonic water for my leg and foot cramps. I always have a bottle by my bed. I am at 4 months and I promise you it does get better. Tuesday, I was able to flex at 128 and I can totally straighten it. Haven't been able to do that for decades.
 
My right TKR is this coming Monday...I think I'm ready, picked up all my (numerous) meds, some comfy clothes, my DVT machine was delivered today, extra larfevicebpacjs, even got a pedicure, nonreason not to have cute toes, right? Haha..I'm a little anxious but ready!!
 
@Walkingon so good to hear you had a terrific recovery. It gives me encouragement. My office and home are in the same building, five flights via elevator apart, so if I'm off oxy and have some energy I can see a few patients a day. Interesting about tonic water. It's the quinine that helps, correct? I had thought that quinine was fazed out due to detrimental side effects. But will ask my internist about it. Good tip--thanks. I've been taking magnesium and that seems to help a lot. And magnesium has a good secondary benefit as well. Regularity!
 
@uva Monday is around the corner. You must be looking forward to the super healing that starts in just a few days. Can I ask what a DVT machine is? Can you share why you need it?

I will follow your progress on the recovery thread. Good luck!
 
@Barnmom22 My doctor is the one that told me about it but it wouldn't hurt to get another opinion. If the quinine in tonic was harmful though I would be dead after all the gin and tonics I have had. :cheers:
 
[Bonesmart.org] TKR June 22nd--Very Scared about Recovery
@Barnmom22 DVT is a deep vein thrombosis machine, I'm sure you have seen them used in hospitals, they are like sleeves that go on your legs and sort of massages them to prevent blood clots, he wants me to use it for two weeks, while sitting or laying down.

I just read my previous message, it looks like I was sampling my pain meds already, I promise I wasn't, but I think my auto correct was, hahaha
 
Hey, @Barnmom22, I was just snooping around BoneSmart (as I do FREQUENTLY when I'm obsessed with my knee) and wondering how you're doing this week-end. I've had to discontinue my ibuprofen and Schiff Joint Comfort pills, so both my knees are achy. That leads to me sitting around with some ice packs. Fortunately I feel pretty prepared for my upcoming surgery week. I even had time to make and freeze a lot of meals for the family and friends who will be taking care of me. I'll be having these guests in my home, and yet they will be waiting on me - kind of a strange situation. I really envy your food delivery/take-out convenience. We also have this option, but it's not a big choice, and most places require us picking up the food. I love to cook, though, and I'm happy to be able to do something nice for my caretakers. I'm so grateful, and I cooked in as much love as I could muster.

Your puppy is darling! I'm sure he's (she's?) a good comic relief for you. I feel better every time I snuggle my dogs.
 
Hi back Happydale. I was planning on reaching out to you on Wednesday. Probably still will. How are you feeling? A little nervous I imagine. I'm calm now but am sure I will display my terror next week. Tuesday is my 65th birthday so I will try to be happy for the sake of my family and friends. In still waiting to hear about blood thinning plans from hematologist and OS. That's making me more apprehensive. But I must trust them.

Yea the puppy is a riot. And a star. She has 91,000 likes on Instagram this week (dogist). She asked for sunglasses and a p r agent.

I'm not cooking but my sister will be here and she makes the best chicken soup on the planet. Nobody goes hungry in NYC.

So let's both remain as positive as we can. All the best--Barbara


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you read others' stories on Bonesmart long enough, you'll notice how many folks have health worries (could this be a blood clot? do I have an infection? will my surgery be able to go ahead as planned?) and in most cases everything turns out to be fine. I hope you'll soon be able to clear your own worries about your blood thinning protocol.

Sometimes I say to myself "you've thought about this enough, Sara. It's time to give yourself a break", and I force myself to put it out of my mind. I really hope you can do that tomorrow, so you can celebrate your birthday for yourself, not just for your family and friends. Proclaim tomorrow as your worry-free day! It will be a 65th birthday gift you give to yourself. :yes:
 
Excellent advice @Happydale, aka Sarah. I will take it! Thanks. And let us all know how you are feeling with your surgery in just three days.
 
My question of the day: my left knee has never given me any pain. I've been assuming that I can tkr my right knee and be fine. But I am noticing that a lot of Bone Smarties have both knees done eventually. Is this something I should look into now?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would go if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude. You might not ever need a replacement on that other knee.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom