TKR TKR:Dancing with Myself

@kneeidea63 We are finding that cold damp weather does seem to make hubby's new knees more achy.
Sorry your kitty is sick. What is wrong? I know how hard it is, our eldest kitty is sick and we think it may be intestinal cancer or some type of ulcer or irritation that won't heal because she has feline leukemia. We just take it one day at a time. Glad your kitty seems to have turned a corner, hope all is well!
 
@kneeidea63 Happy Halloween!
[Bonesmart.org] TKR:Dancing with Myself
 
@kneeidea63 Sorry I'm a bit late to your party but I thought I'd chip in with my experience. It took me 3 months to go upstairs normally but 4 months to come down normally. Even then I did it gingerly for another 2 weeks! Everything comes to she who waits


..




..




..


............................................ long enough!!!!​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@kneeidea63 I think you are doing too much too soon and I concur with other posts that you need to elevate the knee and use ice. I have not had trouble with stairs since week 2 (my PT is shocked at how well I can go up/down stairs) but I cannot navigate a mile of walking comfortably... a slow walk up the road for 5 min and back to the driveway is enough for me. I do my spin bike 5-10 min a time for 3x a day and I go slow. I am coming up on 6 weeks post op. My ROM is 120 and extension is -6 as of yesterday. But I still have swelling and I elevate and ice even when teaching at school half time. I am really sorry to hear about your visit to the nurse. This surgery is a mental challenge, not just a physical one, and I am afraid many medical professionals don't pay much attention to the mental side. Just a negative comment can start a slide into the badlands of depression. That is why I have signs all over my house that I made to encourage myself - I even have them tacked up over my bed so when I elevate and ice and I can them on the ceiling. I must be the best advocate for me, especially for my mind. I will be praying for you; please know you are doing well, take care of you, comfort you, and be gentle to you. Make some signs and see if they help. We care about you.:-)
 
@referee54 I don't have the thread tools mentioned in Josephine's post so could you please change my thread title to RTKR - Dancing with Myself
Thanks. I'm using an iPad if that helps towards identifying why some for united have thread tools and some don't.
 
@tiredwife the vet thinks she may be a herpes virus carrier and has had some kind of flare up. Unfortunately Burmese cats are known to be drama queens and she turned her face to the wall( we had no idea having only been owned by movies in the past). Once she realised she wasn't going to die she decided she might as well eat, but it's still hard going to get nutrients into her. Thank you for your concern.
 
@kneeidea63 Glad they figured out what was wrong. If she can tolerate dairy try some Ensure on her. Or tempt her with tuna juice over her food. Cats really are hard to nurse back to health, they don't like being forced into anything.
 
@Josephine thank you for your comments, I know you are very busy.
I seemed to manage going up quite quickly but going down is not a thing of grace. In my defence our stair treads seem to be pretty deep, a much bigger drop than those in the average shop.

I saw a private physio today as I was getting concerned I was adapting rather than improving. I'm able to do more than ever before, but something didn't feel right. OH has mentioned I swing my leg around to get up steps sometimes and I know I'm "involving" my hips and ankles a lot. The physio confirmed this.
I wasn't too surprised, but very disappointed, to also discover that my ROM was 90 i.e. I've lost some ROM since it was last measured in the first month after the op. He was rather concerned that I still have swelling after over 4 months too.
So I have a plan to re-visit my exercises and focus on finding the middle ground of pushing, but not too hard. He described it as a dance, hence my new thread title.
 
I saw a private physio on Monday as I was getting concerned I was adapting rather than improving. I'm able to do more than ever before, but something didn't feel right. OH has mentioned I swing my leg around to get up steps sometimes and when I'm tired, and I know I'm "involving" my hips and ankles a lot. The physio confirmed this.

I wasn't too surprised, but very disappointed, to also discover that my ROM was 90 i.e. I've lost some ROM since it was last measured in the first month after the op. He was rather concerned that I still have swelling after over 4 months too.

So I have a plan to re-visit my exercises and focus on finding the middle ground of pushing, but not too hard. He described it as a dance, hence my new thread title.

I'm getting the house on the coast sorted for winter and pulling out my winter clothes and packing up the summer stuff. I spent the first two months post-op in shorts, now there's a chilly, wind-blown rain. It's so much harder to get out and walk in this weather. I love curling up with a book, so I need pushing out the door
 
@kneeidea63 If you have swelling you will loose some ROM until the swelling leaves. You can get it back. Winter is knocking on our door. All next week the lows are suppose to be in the 20 and low 30 degrees F. You try to stay warm and have a great day!
 
We are finding that cold damp weather does seem to make hubby's new knees more achy.
Many of the forum members have reported this, but the weather, for me, has no effect on my knees.

I do have an allergic reaction to hard work, though---I get terribly drowsy and have a strong urge to nap.
 
Thanks for the support @tiredwife , @referee54 and @mom2fencers it's much appreciated when I'm feeling down in the dumps.

Huge rain clouds are sweeping in from the west at the moment but the temperature is in the 50s. Good luck with the snow. I'm glad to say that it's not expected here for another month.
 
Huge rain clouds are sweeping in from the west at the moment but the temperature is in the 50s.
I would take that. We had, what meteorologists call graupel--which are ice crystals and snow pellets.

Yep, for a short time this morning, it was cold enough for that.
 
@referee54 Funny you should say that, hubby is allergic to hard work! Really! A long time ago when working on cars he got drenched with transmission fluid. Ever since then when he sweats too much he breaks out in hives. It is getting better as years go by.

@kneeidea63 We are all here for each other! Everyone needs someone to 'chat' with once in a while.
 
Oh my! I thought I only felt my knee clunking, from time to time, but this afternoon on the bike I could hear it. Am I right in thinking it's pretty normal, I've no pain with it?
 
Oh my! I thought I only felt my knee clunking, from time to time, but this afternoon on the bike I could hear it. Am I right in thinking it's pretty normal, I've no pain with it?
It is absolutely normal---your knee is now made of metal and plastic, not softer tisse.

When I went back to the classroom, my students could hear the knees clicking in stereo---I can still hear them---or feel them, from time to time, but two things happen---you become desensitized to it, and your leg muscles develop some mass to muffle the sound, I guess.

IN a while, you will not notice it at all!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom