Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR:Dancing with Myself

Hee hee @kneeidea63 - hairy scars! Yup - been there and got the badge and T shirt. I wouldn't mind but I have always been very unhairy in the leg department. But no, that scar sprouted some beauties. Thankfully this too has passed!
@tiredwife - doubt if hubby noticed ............ unless he shaves his legs :eyebrows:

XXX
 
@dogwheels my lower legs were moderately hairy and my knees had about 4,hairs between them so I was stunned by the growth down the scar.
My scar was starting to look like a hairy caterpillar until I decided I could try a gentle razor, close but not too close. @tiredwife there are a number of posts on Bonesmart about hair sprouting around the scar where there was nothing before. Your hubby's scars look pretty luxuriant, but they were probably always that way :yes:
 
@kneeidea63 LOL yes he's always had hairy legs except where his work boots have continually rubbed the hair off. Smooth as a baby's butt in those areas. My mom is one of the lucky few who have no hair on her legs, never had. Why couldn't I have inherited that trait, but nooooooo I inherited my dad's hairiness, but luckily it is only below my knee.
 
Last weekend I challenged myself to see how well I'd do sitting behind a desk. but this is no ordinary desk, it's the check-in desk for the StNicholas Hospice Care Girls' Night Out event, which I've volunteered at for the last three years. I usually do check-in and marshalling, but thought it best to go slowly :)

broken link removed: https://www.stnicholashospice.org.uk/events/girls-night-out-2014

I had planned to do about three hours, which would test the knee and allow me to see the great departure of 1500 women, wearing flashing pink bunny ears, walk away down the Angel Hill in Bury StEdmunds, as darkness fell, and see some of the 6 mile walkers back in. Of course I got carried away and didn't get home until midnight, having stayed long enough to see many of the 11.2 milers back. I had a fantastic night and spent the next two days on a high, resting and recovering.

I don't seem to have suffered any adverse effects but have concluded that I need more time before I go back to my volunteer ward administrator role at the hospice as I'm not quite up to sitting still for any length of time. However, I am now up to going into the Finance &Investments Committee, with my advisory hat on, as it only meets every second month for a couple of hours, so I went to a meeting on Tuesday with no ill effects .

I'm now spending a fortnight on the coast, walking gently and putting my feet up as often as possible. No driving for me at the moment as my left ankle is still playing up.


PS how can I change the title of my thread to something more general?
 
how can I change the title of my thread to something more general?
Go up to the top right of the posts, you will see thread tools, you can change the title of your thread there. If that does not work, tag a moderator and they will change it for you.

Great report, glad you are more active.
 
Bury St Edmunds

@kneeidea63 I stayed a few nights in Bury St Edmunds while travelling on business in 1980. Is the "world's smallest pub" still there? Wonderful little town; I would imagine it has grown since then. I forget the name of the hotel that I stayed in but it was very, very old. I also forget which famous person had stayed in it many, many years before.
 
I think highly motivated people who are accustomed to a high level of physical activity may have the idea if they push themselves that good things will happen. I was totaly niave about the impact of a TKR. I am learning to dial back my expectations and take it a day at a time. I have also learned to turn a deaf ear to anyone who would push me on exercise. When I can...I will do it! I have been going up and down stairs since day 3 but at five weeks a 30 minute water walking session felt really good and totally wiped me out! I am learning my limits.

I have cancelled the home based PT. I think if I flollow the dictates of my energy levels and just do more each day..... I will do just fine!

The Friday before my Monday surgery I met with my hairdresser. Asked about her Mom who had two knees replaced a year apart. I asked her about her rehab program. She said she came home and lived her life and never had a PT tellling her what to do. I know this is unusual but it sort of makes sense. The best thing I have done and do reccomend is to read this blog and just keep busy! Talk to other successful survivors of this process and know that in time....getting a TKR was a smart move to face the future.
 
Hi @Phil75070 the internet makes the world a smaller place! The Nutshell- the smallest....pub is still doing well. I suspect you stayed in The Angel Hotel, which is on Angel Hill. It was built in the 15th century and Charles Dickens stayed there while doing his book readings. The town centre hasn't grown much, so I'm sure you'd recognise it, but there are more and more houses being built on the outskirts of the town.
 
Hi @WaterWalker. Yes, you are right. Restraint is the order of the day now, and life is a lot easier if I don't push myself. I'm so glad I'm retired because I know if I was still working I'd be driving myself to get back to work shi he wouldn't help the knee at all. I'm thinking of going along to what's known as 'aquacise' in the UK, as so many people on this site recommend water-based exercise. I tried it years ago and really enjoyed it, but I left that gym when the knees got bad as I was paying for something I couldn't use.
 
@WaterWalker. I so agree with you about the way highly motivated people approach TKR revovery. What works here is the opposite of what has worked for me in the past. This is my first, and hopefully last, TKR. I really planned to work hard and get better fast! Well, gee, that doesn't produce very good results with kind of surgery. So, thanks to Bonesmart, I have altered my approach bigtime and it's working. I'm almost at seven weeks post-op and improving daily without pain and with minimal effort. Doesn't make sense to me but it works. I live in Florida and today walked on the beach for the first time since surgery. It felt SO good to get back out there but I didn't overdo it. It was tempting to keep going as this is a perfectly beautiful day but I turned around and went back. If I feel great tomorrow I'll do it again. One small step at a time! ROM is increasing, too. I love Bonesmart!
 
Thanks for the feedback on our BoneSmart approach to recovery. Granted it's not for 100% of the people out there, but we honestly have had much better results for a majority of our members if they follow the slower-and-heal route.:thumb:
 
Hi @Phil75070 the internet makes the world a smaller place! The Nutshell- the smallest....pub is still doing well. I suspect you stayed in The Angel Hotel, which is on Angel Hill. It was built in the 15th century and Charles Dickens stayed there while doing his book readings. The town centre hasn't grown much, so I'm sure you'd recognise it, but there are more and more houses being built on the outskirts of the town.

@kneeidea63 Yes, the Angel Hotel where Dickens' stayed would be it! Thanks!
 
@tiredwife thank you for the reminder.
In the last week I felt that the knee was doing very well; swelling almost gone, and getting down stairs much better than previously. Yesterday we visited a Harvest festival farmers' market and I think the walk back up the hill to the car was probably too much after walking around the sellers' stalls. So today, which is cold and wet, and definitely a day to be indoors, my knee is aching and there's a little swelling and stiffness too. Over-did it I think.

My focus hasn't really been on my knee over the past two weeks because our little cat has been seriously ill. Between visits to the vet my role has been to be a warm cushion for her to cuddle up to and I've had a few sleepless nights. Last Thursday we thought we were going to have to say goodbye to her, but she turned a corner on Saturday afternoon. Not out of the woods yet, but we're feeling more positive.
 
Back
Top Bottom