TKR TKR 5th December Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Lyn you certainly seem to have a lot of help and I bet he won't miss his mum and dad too much, they are just so scrummy at that age, bet he take the supervising of the cry cuff serious


my op was through my insurance but my friend had the same surgeon on NHS in a Harlow hospital last new years eve, I go back to see him on 19th Jan but don't know if I see him anymore after that, I know he charges £150 for a consultation

Happy New Year

Sue xx
 
Thanks for that Sue, I see mine on 19th too, and it's just that I feel a bit abandoned if that is the last ever appointment. It's not a problem, paying to see him (if I'm allowed to mix NHS with private), I just wondered what your OS would be doing.
 
Hi Lyn
finally managed to put a pic of my knee of the scar thread, pic a bit big cos I couldn't figure out how to resize it

looked at your pic, seems to be healing pretty well

Sue x
 
Gosh Sue, your scar looks fantastic, well done. Are you using any cream or oil on it? The physio I saw today said it would be ok to start massaging cream into my scar from now on, the skin was very dry but I didn't like to put anything on it until I was told it would be ok. I used E45 cream last time so will probably do the same this time. She gave it a really good massage, it felt good afterwards. Have a good weekend xxx​
 
Hi Sue

What an amazingly tidy scar x I want to know your secret. @Ellejay I just saw your pic too. You two heal so well girls, well done to you both x x x

Love Ann x
 
Hi @suedobie, and welcome to the group. I was reading your story. Hope you will be able to drive soon. My OS cleared me to drive in 4 weeks thank goodness because it was tough trying to co-ordinate getting my sons to take me here and there and to PT 3 times a week, but we did it. Hope you got a hold of the Tramadol. I give you credit on just using Naproxen as I could not do it. Hope you are getting stronger and feeling better each day.
@Ellejay, hope you are doing well as well. It's good you guys found each other as you two are about a day apart in your surgeries. Good luck and happy healing to you both. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
Thanks for that Josephine, I have a new Galaxy Note and it's so different to the iPhone!! Did you take a look at the answers I gave to your questions? Still not got the Tramadol as my husband did not get it filled yesterday, found some co-codamol and took them the last two nights, got a lot better sleep

Morning Lyn, I am using Bio Oil, supposed to be good for stretch marks so thought I would try it, also think my OS is very good a needlework :heehee:

chestnc is right, glad I found you, perhaps we could meet for a coffee when we are both up and running around:dancy::beer:
 
Ooh, what a lovely ideal - coffee in Van Hage ? I love it there.
I'm glad you managed to sleep a little better the last couple of nights.
We are all just waking up here, (9.30!) grandson decided 'it's morning' at 3 this morning, and was awake for another couple of hours after that, thank goodness his parents arrived last night and they dealt with him, even though he woke me up. I'm glad he didn't do that any of the other nights he's been staying.
Do you still work Sue? I took very slightly early retirement because my knees just couldn't cope with my active job, I was Assistant Headteacher in an independent school. First of all I gave up my management role and returned to teaching, then I went part time, but eventually I gave up completely in 2013.
Have a good day xx Lyn
 
Van Hage's would be perfect, I love it there also. I work 15 hours' a week for my husband doing credit control, he has been moving premises since before Christmas, only days he has had off have been Christmas day, boxing day, new years eve and NY day so my op could not have come at a worst time but i'm doing a lot more at home now which takes some pressure off of him, my friend is coming round later to take the dogs for the weekend, they do a very long walk on sunday mornings from Harlow to Hoddesdon all off road, I have been with them sometimes when there have been 15 people and 23 dogs, we usually scare the living daylights out of anyone coming towards us:yikes:

poor you being woken at 3am just when sleep is such a precious thing, thank goodness someone else was there to settle him

what a miserable day, dull and fine rain

Hi Ann, yes i'm very pleased with my scar, in fact in a couple of places you can hardly see it, must have fast healing powers even at my age:angel:
 
Good morning Sue, what sort of night did you have, I hope you managed to get some sleep. By the time you get your Tramadol you will hardly need them.
I'm not taking anything during the day now, I take one Tramadol +1 paracetamol an hour before bedtime, and I usually take the same again somewhere between 3 & 4 am. I wake up with a deep bone pain, I delve into my cool bag by the side of the bed and put an ice pack on my knee which helps until the meds start to work.
I'm enjoying my first child free morning- it's good to be able to read the paper on my iPad rather than have to watch The Gruffalo!
What breed are your dogs? We don't have pets as we travel quite a bit, but my daughter is a passionate dog lover. Unfortunately she lost her little rescue Jack Russell, he was very elderly but was such a character. She works shifts, when I was still at work I would have her dog overnight when she was working, but now we are free we have said we can't do that anymore, so she has rescue house rabbits at the moment.
Have a good day, Lyn xxx
 
Morning Ann,
Got the Tramadol at last! took 2 before I went to bed, slept really well with no pain, woke up about 3.45 and took another one, just been out to breakfast which was a real treat, I have not been taking any pain meds during the day just Naproxen

My dogs are two Dobermans, up until last November I also had a Shepherd X whom I was only meant to have for 2/3 days as I used to foster sometimes, I had him for 14 years, he was probably the best dog I have ever owned, never had to put him on a lead, he was like my shadow, I used to do Agility with him and at shows could make him lay down and stay without being tethered, walk the course a few times and would not have moved, sadly his legs went and he used to fall down all the time, broke my heart when we made the painful decision to have him put to sleep.

We do travel quite a lot but I'm very fortunate to have a friend who looks after them when we go away and I look after his when he goes away, perfect arrangement

When I have the grandkids I usually have to watch Dora all day :rotfl:

Enjoy your day

Sue xx
 
I've been meaning to ask you that too. Yes I do, for the full six weeks. Last time my consultant said I could take them off overnight after the first two weeks, I thought it was strange as I would be more active during the day, but I checked and he repeated himself, but this time I asked him and he said, no, they had to be on 24/7 for six weeks :groan:I hate the darned things, never mind,only two more weeks. How about you?
 
I was told I had to wear them 24/7 which I have, but must admit took them off during the day twice this week, they drie me up the wall but as you say only two more weeks so I will do as I'm told
 
I work in Hertford and Harlow is only 20 mins away
Indeed it is! I had surgery in Hertford County Hospital in 1980 - don't suppose it's there any more!
The only pain meds I was prescribed when I came out were Ibuprofen 400mg one three times a day and Paracetamol 500mg four times a day but 8 asked to change to Naproxen 500mg twice a day as I found it reduced the swelling in my knee prior to my op, I also get a pain on on of my foot by my ankle, pain level 4
That's not enough. Which hospital did you have your surgery in? They need to be on my baddy list!
Pain right now is about 2 but after I exercise is usually aches and sometimes when I walk I get a stabbing pain just below my kneecap and more to the left, aching a night is probable about a 5
I'm not surprised with such poor medication.
I ice my knee whenever I am sitting also keep it elevated by a pillow from my hip to ankle but not very high
Good - but for how long?
Don't know what my exact ROM is because my next visit to physio is on 7th but would guess at least 90 degrees flexion and extension not really sure but cannot get it flat, can get my finger under it
That sounds pretty good for 4 weeks out as this is the time of maximum swelling and pain.
I'm a bit if a fidget so get up and walk around, maybe clean the kitchen, make a coffee, get my lunch, cook our evening meal but easy things like put a pie in the oven and prepare veg or jacket potato and chilli that I made prior to op, go up and down stairs maybe 5 times a day, throw a ball in the garden for my dogs for 15 mins
That's far too much for 4 weeks out. Did you read this article in the list left you in post #3 Activity progression for TKRs
I exercise 3 times a day doing 6 sets which comprise of bending knee toward me as far as poss and raising leg vertically flexing foot upwards and two mins stretching where I put my foot on a book and flex my foot up pushing my knee down, longest 2 mins ever!!
You need to read about Heel slides and how to do them.

And the straight leg raises you only need to do as long as it's difficult. Once it's relatively easy, you're fine.

The extension exercise is better done in short bites. Try resting your heel on a foot stool so you knee is hanging in mid-air and do it only as long as is tolerable, meaning NO pain! You will find oyur tolerance increases little by little as your extension flattens out. Don't every do it for 2 minutes when it's causing you pain. Remember "no pain MORE gain"! If you want to apply a little pressure to it, try trying a coupe of 400gm cans of beans in the leg of a pair of tights and hang it over your knee. That's much better and less straining than pushing your knee down.
I am using Bio Oil, supposed to be good for stretch marks so thought I would try it
I really wouldn't waste your money. Incisional scars are quite different to stretch marks. Massage post THR
do you still wear your TEDS?
I actually ditched my TEDS on day 4. They were making very deep, very purple and very painful indentations under my knee which I considered to be more of a risk to me in terms of DVT than being without them. I tossed them on the end of the bed and waited for comments but though I got a couple of startled looks from the nurses and the sister came running down to my room to look, nothing was said. Then my surgeon turned up and took a seat and chatted for a few minutes. He left without commenting either! So I plan to do the same again this time!

Ooooh I'm a rebel!
chestnc is right, glad I found you, perhaps we could meet for a coffee when we are both up and running
Don't forget to invite me! I know Van Hages - it's a great garden centre.
 
Oooh Josephie you are a Rebel, what do you think @Ellejay, should wee invite someone who might be such a bad influence on us?:heehee:

Indeed it is! I had surgery in Hertford County Hospital in 1980 - don't suppose it's there any more!

I was born at The County, it is still there although not an A&E now only X-ray, Phlebotomy and special clinics also build some houses in the grounds, car parking costs high £3.00 min even if you are only going to be there 5 mins

That's not enough. Which hospital did you have your surgery in? They need to be on my baddy list!

The Rivers at Sawbridgeworth, has a good reputation I believe and my OS Paul Allen is one of the top ten in country and the Nurses were really lovely

Ice and elevate for about 3/4 hours during the day and about 4 in the evening

I will definitely slow down with regard to chores and review my exercises, I do heel slides but will try the knee suspension thingy:treadmill:

good luck with your op Josephine, I know it's your big week
 
Found u. It's Angel. I am trying to learn this sight. I hope u are have a speedy recovery. I'm having recovery lol. I've had lots up and down. And know I have the flu. Xxxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmartFourm
❤️bfmasmommy
 
Hi Angel sorry to hear you have Flu and ongoing issues with your knee, wishing you well
Sue
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom