TKR TKR 25/07/17 10am

I am just past 3 week mark and I think that even on narcotics i did hurt quite a bit the first two weeks. I could get to 0 or 1 at times with the right combination of icing and recent pills but it didn't last. Still, most of the time I wasn't much worse than 3 or 4 painwise with an occasional higher spike when pushing. I started cutting back on the hard stuff about the two week mark but am on here now because I failed to sleep through tonight on tylenol at day 24. Some people are on strong drugs much longer and that is highly individual. Some don't tolerate oxy well due to nausea or constipation issues and go straight to tylenol. Symptoms can often,but not always, be managed with antinausea meds and laxatives. My sister went straight to tylenol due to nausea issues but said the pain was pretty awful for the first two weeks. Depends on your pain tolerance I suppose? I always thought of myself as having a pretty high pain tolerance, two labors and deliveries with no drugs of any kind, but this knee surgery has been rougher painwise than I expected.
 
Good grief, this isn't supposed to be a "Martyr Reality Show!" Your pain is serious and you should have the appropriate medication. I was on 10 mg Oxycodone every 4 hours plus 1000 mg of Tylenol every 6 hours for the first 4 weeks and I don't think mine is an unusual case. Scream for help, ASAP!
 
The only pain killers that I have is paracetamol every 4-6 hours. Anti inflammatory twice a day. Leg aching 80% of the day. Is this normal or do people have better pain control?
No it is NOT normal and at 1 week out you need to be on something with much more oomph than paracetamol! That's just cruel! I suggest you get in touch with your GP immediately and ask for something stronger. Tramadol seems to be the most popular in the UK. I found that taking it in conjunction with paracetamol using this regimen was very effective.

[Bonesmart.org] TKR 25/07/17 10am


And until you get better pain management, I also suggest you don't do any exercises at all !
 
With my first tkr I found that paracetamol as base med and tramadol worked well together as Josephine said I have also had diehydrocodiene prescribed and that too works well with paracetamol for me
I did not like the way tramadol makes me feel that is just personal preference however it is awesome pain relief
 
Hi all. Thanks for the advice you all have given. Spoke to my doctor today and he was shocked that I was sent home from hospital with just paracetamol. Been prescribed with co-codomol 30/500 and that seems to be helping.
 
Good that you got some better meds. I hope they work well for you!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom