Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR 2 Years Out

@OldBikerLee, how about starting your own recovery thread and telling us all about yourself.
Starting a new thread
 
@jeoder We are TKR buddies. I had my surgery two days before yours and am two years older.
I would say you are doing great. I also stop taking prescribed pain meds and just taking Tylenol, sticking to 4000 mg threshold per day. I also have really bad pain in the night just before bed. I am also icing with a machine/sleeve that cycle on/off through out the night. I am at 0 deg extension and about 105 degree flexure. I have not done any formal PT, just simple stretches/exercises I learned from my previous surgeries. Just be careful not to over do PT and other high stress exercises that can cause swelling and set backs.
I also see my doctor in three days for my first post op checkup.
Here is my recovery thread… https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...lateau-with-all-lateral-ligaments-torn.70825/
I know it can be tough with the three kiddies (I have two) but it will get better with every passing day.
 
Last edited:
Also, when can I go swimming? I will ask the Doc Monday too. We are in the middle of a midwest heat wave. Sitting in a cool pool with some sunshine for an hour might help my mood.
That is a question for your surgeon. You’re very,very early in your recovery. What kind of job do you have?
I wish you would have found us prior to surgery. At nine days, you shouldn’t be doing the bulk of the care for your kids. Do you have any family who can help?

Marie
 
I discussed caring for my kids and the husband’s job prior to surgery. He said I should be fine at the 1.5-2 week mark. I do have a summer nanny for when I work. She has come several hours when he goes to work. I plan to ask about swimming tomorrow. I am in a leadership role at a large corporation. I do plan to take the full 6-7 weeks off to focus on PT/rebab.
 
I discussed caring for my kids and the husband’s job prior to surgery. He said I should be fine at the 1.5-2 week mark. I do have a summer nanny for when I work. She has come several hours when he goes to work. I plan to ask about swimming tomorrow. I am in a leadership role at a large corporation. I do plan to take the full 6-7 weeks off to focus on PT/rebab.
You discussed with the surgeon? If yes.....ugh. I’ve read of people who’s surgeons told them much the same and they realized how it’s not going to happen. The surgeons have no idea how you will do. Regarding work: there’s a good chance you will need to ice & elevate during work. Have you arranged for that?

PT/rehab. Please read the many articles & links here on BS. Recovery for TKR takes a year, give or take.

Maride
 
Thank you everyone for the insight and advice! It is appreciated.

I will add that walking unassisted was approved by my PT on Tuesday. I had to pass a ROM, strength, and balance test. I did drop all my pain meds today, which has improved my overall mood. My stomach and head already are thanking me. The pain has been tolerable. We will see how tonight goes. I will take a Tylenol PM before bed. I also backed my steps off to 4,000 today (pre surgery I regularly hit 15K-20K/day). I definitely am icing, elevating, and resting. I am also not a patient human, which tends to serve me well in most situations but I will work on it for this recovery. :)

Last question (I think), my Doctor said I can drive when off narcotic pain meds and approved to walk unassisted. This is technically now. I was going to give it a shot on Monday (11 days post op). My PT just advised a trial run in a parking lot. Anyone else drive that soon? Any other tips?
I was cleared for driving after one week, but I’ve had a very fortunate recovery (right TKR on 4/29/2022). Like you I was athletic right up to surgery, and the muscle mass made the procedure more difficult for the surgeon. I also have a ridiculous pain threshold, so I never had to take narcotic pain medicine. I did a few days of small drives at times of day the streets were unpopulated and went so far as to mimic panic stops.

Listen to what your body and mind tell you, even though I was cleared, and knew if need be I could panic stop, I waited another week before I did longer drives or the highway.
 
Yes, with my surgeon. I am hitting PT 4-5 hours a week already. I will go back to my gym soon as well with very modified plans. Every class has a strength, mobility, and metabolic conditioning component. This will be a huge part if my long term plan as well. I will cross the work bridge when needed. Lots of folks have come back from TKR in my department and have recovered.
 
I am hitting PT 4-5 hours a week already. I will go back to my gym soon as well with very modified plans. Every class has a strength, mobility, and metabolic conditioning component.
Please be careful not to overdo the exercise, @jeoder. You are still very early days into this recovery and doing too much too soon can hinder your recovery.

At this point you should not even be thinking about strength training. Your poor knee needs to heal from the trauma it has been through first. You might want to look at this article about what to do and what not do during these early weeks of recovery:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-operative-exercise-–-the-bonesmart-view.25463/
 
One thing we all learn after this surgery is that it is a major trauma to the body and your energy early on is taken up by basic healing. The knee is in charge. We can set all the goals we want but tkr recovery tends to throw all of us a few loops. You can try to do some of this exercise, but if your knee bites back, listen.
 
Strength training would be for my upper body only at this point. It will be a week or two before I go there and I will ensure I start slow and feel ready. When I ruptured my achilles, I did something similar at 3 weeks post op.

The best news today is I had my post op follow up. Everything looks great! There is a concern with a small part on my incision. He put in a few staples. I go back next Monday and if it looks good I can swim as soon as next week. I also was given the green light on driving! He did agree that 5,000-7,000 steps is a bit much. Just encouraged me to listen to my body. The photo is my old new vs the new knee!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] TKR 2 Years Out
    BAF76490-32BE-481A-A706-4BC4DAA720AD.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 103
Just checking in on how folks are doing in the 2-3 week range. I had surgery on July 14th. Things are progressing. I have been walking without assistance for awhile now. I get 8K-10K steps a day. I started driving about a week ago. I have been going to outpatient PT 3 days a week and do a lot at home too. The biggest focus for me is ROM. Extension is only 10 and flexion is 110. My quad, hamstring, and calf are super tight, so added in some deep tissue massage/lymphatic drain. I am off of work (desk/office job) until the end of Aug but starting to do a few things from home (5-10 hours a week).

Most days are pretty good. Pain under control. I still am nauseous but am on antibiotic another week. I sleep ok but that is when I do have the most pain, especially in my muscles. I am going to the gym today. Doing a very light and modified workout. I feel good enough to try to sweat. How is everyone else doing?
 
@jeoder I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Also, when can I go swimming? I will ask the Doc Monday too. We are in the middle of a midwest heat wave. Sitting in a cool pool with some sunshine for an hour might help my mood.
I did the Hot Tub after 2 weeks after both surgeries.
4 months second knee, yesterday 40' C outside, 39' C in Hot Tub, soaked the pain away for 1 hour. Never too hot or cold for a Hot Tub.
 
I can relate 66yo 6ft 180 ok shape tkr 15 days ago Am walking with no walker cane when needed. Overall no pain except when I twist as when I tried to get in and out of a car. I do the prescribed exercises but no to excess. Do a lot of icing and also use the berg machine. I think as do the PT's that have been to my home say I am doing well as does my surgeon.
I do not see me still having issues 6 months or a year from now
My goal atm is to get back to driving
What I have mostly now is what has been described as the knee 'tooth ache'
I use Advil and sometimes Tylenol in that opiates keeps my mind racing
One more thing I have found in bed that placing a heating pad under my feet helps
Bonesmart is helpful but I stay open
15days should I try the stationary bike?
Thank You for reading
Try rocking the pedals and then back pedal on the stationary bike. Start with raised seat. Later raise & lower the seat several times.
My stationary bike & Hot Tub are my place to go when having pain.
I have a new electric bike but tend to not pedal, just use the throttle switch.
Good luck with recovery.
 
Holy cow, you are blowing me away, and I thought I was going fast. 58 here. Got mine day after you. I'm using a cane and am negotiating 2 flights of stairs and have walked outside twice. Got my sutures out today. I have really no pain right now and am taking 4 Tylenol extra strength and going to as needed. I am not rushing this puppy. Icing, resting, home PT 4 times with PT person, doing exercises in my own until after I see the doctor 8/9.
 
I am young (44) and strong. I could squat 250 pounds before surgery. I think it has made a huge difference in my recovery. The down side are the muscle spasms. I still am not recovered of course but I am turning the corner. I just hope I don’t regret my choices today . I did 4x2 95# push press, 100 ball slams, and 60 double dumbbell rows. It felt great to sweat and get my heart rate up! My knee was not used but I did push my body.
 
The biggest focus for me is ROM. Extension is only 10 and flexion is 110.
Extension is normally slower in returning than flexion. At a little over 2 weeks out, your ROM is within the normal range. It’s swelling that’s holding you back.
My quad, hamstring, and calf are super tight, so added in some deep tissue massage/lymphatic drain. I am off of work (desk/office job) until the end of Aug but starting to do a few things from home (5-10 hours a week).
The tightness you describe is fairly common. It’s most likely due to internal swelling within the very compact knee compartment. Massage is good. Be sure to cut back slightly on your exercise if it or pain increase. Recovery from this surgery frequently is a back-and-forth journey.
 
Last edited:
4 weeks post op. Definitely a 2 steps forward 1 step back process. Extension is 6 degrees (working so hard on this) and flexion 111. I can swim. I am back at my gym 2-3 days a week (very modified). I go to outpatient PT 3 days. Starting back to work in 2 weeks. I do a bit from home everyday. I did a very light back squat yesterday. It felt great! Hope everyone else is making positive strides forward.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] TKR 2 Years Out
    CC7C5E07-6B8F-4F3A-AE11-E6AAC920E87A.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 85

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom