Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI, thanks for the follow-up question. The short answer about what I carried forward from my January 5, 2015 TKR is: be informed, strength and stretch work for muscle balance, the benefits of ice AND compression, correct dose for pain meds, and combining rest with activity. The long-winded version is below (I have time on my hands!) and just offers some examples of what I keep in mind from my first TKR. I don't think there is anything here you probably don't know already!

Be informed: I spent a lot of time finding the right physician and I trust his approach and question him frequently about topics that concern me. However, as you know, there are a variety of opinions and “do’s and don’ts” from friends and other folks about what we should or should not be doing. Those opinions can be confusing. Early in my first TKR I got a copy of Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation: The Knee Owners Manual. I still find that a useful reference that can help clarify issues. I also check out opinions using Google and Google Scholar to understand if there is any basis for an opinion that conflicts with what my doc says. Mostly, I think it is important for me to have a rationale for what I am doing in recovery and how it will help and I read and ask questions to do that.

Strength and stretch work for muscle balance: I developed some back and hip issues a few weeks into recovery after the first TKR. These were related to muscle imbalances that once I worked on them relieved most of the discomfort. I went into surgery with relatively strong quads and reasonable but not ideal muscle balance, especially in hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings, and calves. Now I do some very simple strength and stretching of those muscles to keep things more in balance and I hope prevent the discomfort I experienced before.

Ice and Compression: We all know about the pain relieving benefits of icing, I found that early on in my first recovery icing helped to reduce pain and some swelling, but when I added compression I noticed even more pain relief and less swelling. After 3 weeks or so, I found that heat worked better than icing for my recovery. Did I continue to ice? Yep, if there were times when pain happened from activity, then I would use the ice machine, but my issues came from my knee being stiff --- not swollen -- so heat helped that more than ice and compression. If you do some casual searches about “icing” using Google or Google Scholar, it is easy to find a range of opinions about the benefits of icing beyond the initial trauma of an injury or surgery. I just let my knee be the guide and I tried to inform myself about what health professionals say about the benefits and liabilities of icing, compression, and heat. Anyway, this time I began compression AND icing right away. Most of the swelling has gone done after 9-10 days and I will do some experimenting with heat this week to see how that helps.

Pain Meds Dose: Last TKR I took 10mg of Norco every four hours for the first 3 weeks. Despite understanding the constipation implications of opioids, it still happened and it was uncomfortable. This time I began with 5mg every four hours and that has mostly been fine for my pain levels. Sometimes at night I take a 7.5 and more rarely a 10, but 5mg works most of the time. I have not experienced any signs of constipation yet and my pain is well controlled. Getting the right dose of pain meds for me has some trial and error to it, but it is working better this time around.

Rest and Activity: I get the importance of rest after major surgery. I also benefited during my last TKR by being relatively active: physical therapy, walking, using my exercise bike. Did I over-do it at times? Yep, and I learned the limits of being active. I rested enough, but my knee felt best during and after activity and I have carried that approach forward to this TKR. An active recovery works for me. It may not for everyone for a variety of reasons, but after the first TKR I returned to the activities of daily life at a pace i was happy with. Early on I bought into the focus on ROM, but after a while I decided that whatever ROM would allow me to cycle and do the work I need to around my property is what should drive my recovery and that is the same approach I have this time. Rest enough, be active enough to aid recovery, and don’t over-do either, that is a simple but important lesson for me.

There are a few more, but this is long-winded enough and covers the things I think about every day. I hope that helps.
 
Thank you!! This was fantastic! I am still a couple of months from surgery, but I am the type of person that craves information. I took care of my mother for the last 2 years of her life and learned an awful lot about the heart, kidneys, and lungs. It pays to be an informed patient simply (from my standpoint) for your own comfort and well-being. Each of our bodies are miraculous creations and I am looking forward to a little fine tuning with my new knee. Thank you again.
 
Sounds like you have figured out the right balance of rest and activity for you. :thumb:
 
Hi @metalheart. I have a question on the cothera v pulse. If you remove the data card, do the calf compression lights turn red and does the compression function stop. I bought one on eBay and cannot get the air compression to work.There is no data card in the port. Any help would be appreciated.:SUNsmile:
 
Hi @metalheart. I have a question on the cothera v pulse. If you remove the data card, do the calf compression lights turn red and does the compression function stop. I bought one on eBay and cannot get the air compression to work.There is no data card in the port. Any help would be appreciated.:SUNsmile:

I will check that in the morning and let you know. One thing I did learn about the Vpulse is that it has "x" hours of use on the compression and once those "x" hours have expired, then compression does not work. It has something to do with it being a single user machine and only so many hours of compression should be used. Now, unless yours is heavily used, I would think that it is ok. Anyway, let me check mine in the morning and I will let you know.
 
@metalheart , I hope you read this before you go to any trouble. After finding a mini sd card, I still could not get the red lights to go off so I notified the seller that I need to return the item. It must have hit the "x hours limit".
 
No trouble ... I did take the card out and the machine beeps and the compression lights turn red. It must need the data card for compression. I bought mine from a lady who was prescribed it in the hospital for ACL surgery and she only used it a "couple of times." I used the compression feature for multiple weeks after my first surgery and I am still using it, so it must take a lot of "x"s to fill the data card. For anyone thinking about buying one used, it must have a data card and it is worth asking about the hours to ensure you get what you expected. If you have not had surgery yet it is worth asking your doc for a prescription and checking with insurance to see if it is covered. Sorry this one did not work out for you.l
 
Today is two weeks since TKR2 surgery. I compared my current status to recovery from TKR1 as posted here on Bonesmart. Today my flexion is 99 degrees and extension is still a solid 0 degrees. I am walking around without a cane or walker and my leg feels strong. I am doing gentle back and forth rocking on my bike (set up on a trainer), doing stretch and flexibility work 2-3 times a day and walking around the house and outside when it is not too hot. My pain level is usually a 3 with some spikes to 5. I am still taking 5mg norco every four hours, but I will start tapering that to every six hours this weekend. I have been sleeping with my leg elevated and generally sleeping more than I did for TKR1. Last night I tried to sleep without the leg elevated and I tossed and turned quite a bit, so it was a restless night. Not sure about tonight. My appetite is better than at the same point in TKR1, although I still have lost about 3.5 pounds. I get cranky at times, but listening to music, going out for a walk, giving one of my friends a call, and doing some deep breathing gets me out of it sooner or later. Things are good and I appreciate that my recovery is generally uneventful.

About the "generally uneventful" thing: so, Monday the PT was here and she asked how I was doing on the bike, so I decided to show her. I got on and did my rocking back and forth and commented that I was working up a full backward rotation using a hip hitch. I decided to show her the technique I was practicing and before I knew it I did a full backward rotation, but it was uncontrolled --- meaning I lost focus and was not concentrating on controlling the motion -- and it definitely hurt. Yesterday I had a little extra swelling from that event and today that is gone but there is some residual pain. Sometimes things just don't go as planned.
 
Well you did it, though. Where a backward rotation happens, a forward one follows soon. :wink: But Ouch!
Just give the knee a little tlc for a couple of days.
 
@metalheart , FYI, I spoke with Cothera rep today and he said the earlier models were programmed for the compression to stop after so many uses. He said the newer ones do not have this limitation.

Following your recovery with interest. I'm hoping to do as well as you have.
 
Kneeper, I have taken it easy the past couple of days with lots of elevation, ice, and rest. I do a few exercises just to keep my knee from getting stiff, but I think it will be a bit before I try to full backward rotation thing. Overall, things are going well and I'm happy with progress so far. While I am not bored, I can only read so much, so I am thinking up new things to do...

Wings. I's glad you reached Cothera support and learned about the compression stop issue. I had some issues with my machine when it first arrived and their support was incredibly patient and helpful. If you put a data card in your machine does it work or did it not come with one? It took some effort to get mine resorted properly. If you did already send it back I am hoping you find another one.

I don't have a good explanation for why this recovery is going how it is other than the big difference is the strength of my surgery leg. It has contributed to being more mobile, sleep more comfortably, and I think less overall pain and discomfort because I can do stretches and exercises without strain. Although I cycled a reasonable amount before surgery, I also did some strength work, not a lot, but it seems just enough to help out. I hope things continue as they are and I am sure you will do well with your recovery when the time comes!
 
@metalheart, I plead ignorance. Why is the focus on making a backward rotation instead of a forward? I am sorry you experienced pain and hope you recover quickly - I know you will!
 
@Timetolive For whatever reason it's easier to pedal backwards so full backward revolutions usually come first :)
 
@metalheart, I plead ignorance. Why is the focus on making a backward rotation instead of a forward? I am sorry you experienced pain and hope you recover quickly - I know you will!

What Bridget said.... The motion for forward rotation that is the most hard for me is the part between about 8 and 10/11 on the clock. Making a backward rotation gravity helps with that part and it is easier, but there is still range of motion benefit from doing the full rotation.
 
Glitches ..... there are always bumps in the recovery road.

Glitch #1 -- Yesterday I awakened to very stiff calves. I did some stretches during the day, but this morning they continue to be very stiff, so I am doing a bunch of ankle pumps today since I plan to spend most of the day elevating my leg. I have no explanation for why all of a sudden my calves are so stiff.

Glitch #2 -- the home health nurse came for her regular check up yesterday and my blood pressure was high. Background --- I have a life-long issue with BP and after two MIs (2005/2010) BP meds are a way of life. Anyway, my BP spiked about 20% during the first 5-6 weeks of recovery from TKR1, but no one seemed concerned. I attributed the spike to Norco: it is noted as a "rare" side effect of this medication. I could nor think of any other change that would spike by BP.

Before and during the first week or so after TKR2 my BP was normal, but since week 2 it has spiked to about the same level as during TKR1, about a 20% increase in systolic and 15% in diastolic. Other than Norco, I am a a loss to explain the spike. I do have some swelling in my thigh and my pain level is usually low (3 or so) with the occasional spike to 5ish. Maybe the swelling is contributing to the BP rise. The nurse is calling my cardiologist Monday and no doubt they will tell me to increase my beta blocker dose and maybe suggest a change in pain meds.

I have started tapering Norco 5mg every 4 hours to 5mg every 6 hours. I am spending most of the day today with my leg elevated to see if I can reduce swelling and otherwise just monitoring my BP 3x a day so the cardiologist and I have something to talk about.

My ROM is slowly progressing, but I feel as if I am a ways from making a full revolution (backward or forward) on the bike. I think I will raise my saddle to help out.
 
I have tapered Norco 5mg from every 4 to every 6 hours and pain level remains low (2-3). Monitored my BP over the weekend and it is normal enough, so not to worry about that.

Home PT came today and we worked mostly on balance and range of motion. She measured extension at 0 and flexion at 105.

This week I'm working on keeping extension, more bike on the trainer work to increase ROM, and continuing with balance and strength work.
 
Three weeks today, things are generally going well. The blood pressure is fine. Lower back pain I first experienced in the hospital has returned and is limiting what stretches and exercises I do. My focus is on functional activities to rehab at this point: walking, going up and down stairs (still doing one leg at a time down), doing work on the bike. Sleep is ok, pain us usually not more than a 3, still using Norco 5mg every six hours.

I made a full forward revolution on the bike yesterday and then did continuous pedaling for a few minutes. That will be most of what I do the next few days so that I can get everything stretched out. The PT came today and measured flexion at 110 and I am still at zero with extension. I walk with some favoring of the surgery leg, so the PT suggested a focus on extension -- put heel on foam roller and let it sit for 10 minutes -- work for the next few days.

Below is a pic of the incision at 3 weeks and the knee just about to go over the top on a full rotation:

[Bonesmart.org] TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)
[Bonesmart.org] TKR #2 --Left Knee -- (August 5 2015)
 
Incision is looking good. You'll be spinning those pedals in no time now.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks Jean, I needed to make that full revolution and do some pedaling just for the mental health benefits: it is important to know I can pedal without compromise and return to cycling once healing is further along.

I will continue to use the bike as a recovery tool, but I am not going to push things right now: just because I can doe not mean I should at this point, so easy does it is the plan I am following. When I look back at the recovery thread from my right TKR, I am slightly ahead in terms of range of motion and when I could comfortably do continuous forward pedaling. I'm content with where I am, almost.

Stir crazy best describes my recovery right now: I have read enough books my eyes need a break, I have watched the few movies that interest me, and there is not much on television that is entertaining for me. I feel good enough to want to be more active but not so good that I can be. I invited some friends over for a short visit this evening and for the weekend......................
 
Hiya!
You had your 2nd tkr just 2 days after my first (and only thus far) so we are going through similar stages. I have to go read about your first tkr, to see how you progressed. I like all of your advice, and positive attitude! Especially in your last postings about even if you CAN do something, it's better NOT to do some things.

Like everyone else on here, I lived with pain for so long, I find it difficult to know or gauge my recovery pain's severity. I tend to postpone my pain meds and overdo PT, and yet I still feel bad that I'm not doing/feeling better.

I must learn PATIENCE!!! Glad you had company over, hope that helped your brain!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom