Bilateral TKR tinwoodswoman's recovery journal

My left knee is at 90 degrees and right is at 100, 2 months out.
Then you don't need an MUA.

Very few surgeons would even consider doing an MUA once your flexion reaches 90 degrees.

Your surgeon was obviously taught that there is a "window of opportunity" and that has made him/her impatient for faster ROM development.

You have plenty of time for ROM to improve.
[Bonesmart.org] tinwoodswoman's recovery journal
 
I agree with Celle, your ROM numbers are fine. :happydance:

My PTs and my surgeon all force bent my knee the get the highest number they could. At my 4 month checkup my surgeon didn’t like the 124 he forced, so he pushed it again! :hairpulling: That was the total end of my respect for him and his aftercare. I never again got up on the exam table which would give him easy access to my leg to measure. I had taken charge at PT, but not yet with my surgeon. I will never allow anyone to bend my knee again. For what? A number that suits them?:bignono:

ROM will come when it comes and that’s all there is to it. No need to force it or cause us any pain.
 
You ROM is right where it should be, most surgeons will not do a MUA once 90 degrees is met. Take a look at Medscape in your search.
 
They are super good numbers for only 2 months out. You have no reason at all to worry.
 
Thanks, pals. It's interesting. I didn't really need to reread anything or check the latest research reviews. I just needed some other knowlegeable people to support me in saying no to professionals who have a need to speed up my "recovery." I know it just takes time. Another interesting result of all this: I am walking more and bending my knees more. I think I actually do need to push myself...a little!
 
If your knee is swollen it isn't going to bend more than a certain amount. It took me to 6 weeks to get to 90 on my first knee. The swelling started reducing (not gone) in week 5 and 6. In the succeeding few weeks the swelling continued to decrease and my bend increased. Go figure. :wink:

I found that I could challenge myself a little but it was a continual re-evaluation day-to-day of the activity and rest balance. I did do heel slides, but never 3 sets at a time (as was on the PT sheet). It was more like one set in the morning and one later in the day. Or just doing a few here and there when I was sitting in a chair (which probably added up to 2-3 sets).
I gradually increased walking--but I didn't measure how far. I'd say maybe 15 minutes a day outside in the first 6-8 weeks and gradually increasing ADLs.
And plenty of icing and elevating.

90 was the "magical" number for my OS. At my 6 week check up he was satisfied said just keep doing more activity as your knee will tolerate.

Many of us hit temporary plateaus. Generally MUAs are for people who are truly "stuck."
 
Thanks @Celle

She didn't measure my ROM, she just eyeballed it.. My left knee is at 90 degrees and right is at 100, 2 months out.
That sounds like good ROM to me! I am maybe 90/95. It changes day to day and morning to evening.
 
I’m sure that there is no magical flexion number that says after x weeks your flexion should be x or greater. You have to rely on your surgeon‘s advice of whether you are a good candidate for a MUA. I had LTKR on March 1. For the first 5 weeks my flexion increased steadily to 90. Then it got stuck for the next three weeks and only increased to 93. I had some minor swelling but could tell that there was something else that was keeping the knee from bending. My surgeon recommended a MUA to break up the scar tissue. His advice was to do it sooner than later. After 8 weeks post op, I had the MUA. The surgeon said he was able to bend the knee to 135 under anesthesia. He said there was a lot of scar tissue and he described it as velcro tearing as he manipulated the knee. After four days post MUA my knee was very sore and had not changed much. The follow week I began to see improvement in flexion with a jump to 100. I expect that I will continue to see improvement over the next several weeks. Also, I had RTKR in September and went through a MUA after 7 weeks. 6 months later I am at almost full flexion of that knee. My advice is that not to be afraid of a MUA as it can help if you have scar tissue and your flexion is stuck for an extended period of time.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom