Time to Get 2nd Hip Replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.
sharonslp Thank you Sharon! Will hope for the best regarding the swelling issue and, as you suggest, see how it goes.
Phil
 
pag I agree with sharon, I was lucky I never had much swelling with either of my surgeries but I kept ice on the area pretty much all the time and I sat in a recliner with my feet up for the most part too. I tried to get up and stretch about every hour and walk at least into the kitchen or around the house to help get the muscles moving a little. I took it slowly but I didn't try to over baby myself. It's not good to sit around doing nothing even it the early days after surgery. The first week I used a walker and then I tried a cane and felt comfortable with it. If you use a walker make sure it has wheels...mine didn't and it was difficult to use.
 
  • Useful
Reactions: pag
Rehab Issue: Requesting input!

My surgery date is May 20, a week from Monday. My wife and I have the added burden of caring for an adult son with severe disabilities needing 24/7 care. My wife is feeling a bit run down and exhausted in her role as the primary care provider as I work. Recently she has sustained a severe muscle pull that simply will not go away. We are looking into the possibility of requesting that I be transfered to a rehab facility after surgery for the reason that, with my wife's injury, there really is no one to be a support person for me at home after discharge.

Might this be possible if I talk to my doctor? How do I go about this?

Thanks for any input.
 
pag, You should check with your insurance to see what benefits you have and then you will need to clear it through you doctor to write up the order. It sounds like your wife does have a lot on her plate to handle so a facility like that might be a good option for you. You will get continued care and PT there. For your wife, it might be less stress if you could go there for the first days after surgery. When I came home from the hospital the only care I needed was to have my meals and someone to track my med's. I used a walker and got around the house fine. So if you don't get it cleared, you probably will be okay too....good luck.
 
  • Useful
Reactions: pag
sandybeach thanks for your thoughts. I'll call my doctor and get the process started to see if he might right that script for me. Appreciate!
 
pag, any luck with finding out about a rehab facility for after surgery? Your surgery day is coming up quickly.:yes!:
 
Hi sandybeach: Thanks for asking! Have one in mind. The hospital provides a "patient coordinator" who assists patients with the final decision on where to go post-surgery. With surgery on Monday morning, the expected discharge day would be Thursday. I am to meet with the coordinator on Wednesday and pick a destination. Hospital/Doctor want to wait till then to see how I'm doing. Will let you know!
 
pag, sounds like you have a good plan:iagree: Monday will be here soon and you will be on your way to recovery. Looking forward to reading about your post op.
 
Best of luck on Monday pag! Look forward to seeing you soon in the Post-Op! :thumb:
 
SeaSiren: Thanks you! If all goes well, should be back on Thursday and will post with results! Much appreciated!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom