THR TikiPadre new hip round 2 older and a bit more sore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feeling a bit better than yesterday, I just got brave and drove out to retrieve my mail.. about a quarter mile away, and nearest neighbor almost half mile, so no worries, dead end road no traffic, and the wife wasn't here to tell me no, so off I went... man it's hot outside, good to at least see the outside world.. Mission accomplished only to find a jury duty notice in the mail.. LOL... I will say I am due for my next round of pain meds so I wasn't loopy or anything, just wanted to see if I could. All went to plan and now I'm back in my perch on the couch. Haven't eaten today, Man the meds kill my appetite, I guess that's good, I could lose a few pounds. But.... I think I'm gonna have ham and green beans later... that's the plan. :) Not a bad day thus far.
:ok:
 
For the first three or four months after Side #2, I swore my leg lengths were different by at least a half inch. I wobbled, etc. Then, suddenly at 3 or 4 months out, they just leveled out and now they are great! No LLD...

Sounds like you are doing fantastic! Just try not to overdo it. You just went through major surgery and your body needs to recover....remember you have lots of support here!
 
Man... if I had both legs the same length this would be much easier... LOL I totally need to figure out how to stretch these tendon/ligaments whatever to even them out... I'll have to ask my Dr. on my follow up on Monday.
 
Day 6 post op... Not bad today.. scar on my neck is healing awesome, and the scar on my butt isn't too bad, still a bit bruised and sore, but all in all not bad. Doin the cane thing today, maybe a little more limber than yesterday... good to be somewhat mobile. Oh... wanted to say also that I snitched the wife's snuggie, and man is it handy with a walker or cane, might suggest that to new hippies. :wink:
 
wow... what a sucky night... I had the hardest time getting any sleep last night... could NOT get comfortable for anything.. sore, stiff, my temp was fluctuating.. I'm hot.. I'm cold. Even with Ambien it was a looong night. Man I hope there aren't too many of those, I may nap today but I'm definitely staying up late as possible and maybe having a glass of wine to aid in the visit from the sandman... not fun.
 
[Bonesmart.org] TikiPadre new hip round 2 older and a bit more sore
Oh, the dreaded sleep deprivation monster has struck!! And he may come again and again. Which is a great reason for
[Bonesmart.org] TikiPadre new hip round 2 older and a bit more sore
during the day. Also make plans for something to keep you busy in the wee hours when you just can't get comfortable and the sandman [Bonesmart.org] TikiPadre new hip round 2 older and a bit more sore refuses to make an appearance. This unfortunate phenomenon does die a natural death eventually.


Take care. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] TikiPadre new hip round 2 older and a bit more sore
 
I had the hardest time getting any sleep last night​
tikipadre, Hi...Sounds like you are off to a pretty good start...the sleepless nites are awful....Try reading the threads in the recovery area. They can make the time go by for you. You will find them funny and very informative. Take care.
 
Post Op day #9 Bleh... more sleep problems :zzz: , and I'm still quite temperature sensitive... hot.. cold.. hot... cold. Incision is looking great though and bruising is starting to subside a bit, Also starting to limber up some. Making a bit of headway. Yay.:yes!: Now if I can increase my desire to eat.:sigh:
 
tikipadre yeah whenever my wife is not around i get really brave also. As soon as Sue is around it is like yes dear 90 degree rules right away dear. Lol she means well but sometimes you just have to stretch your leg and the forget to put it back down. Glad to hear that the recovery is going well, and those pain pills the reason that i think that the majority of people here hate them so much is because they are/were a necessary evil. We sure in the H E double hockey sticks getting high off of them and we need/needed them just to get through the day. Okay this is once again rather long winded for me and all that typing makes me tired. Peace be with you. Ps the best thing about no drugs is that i can have a glass of scotch once in awhile
 
Past couple of days weaning myself off of prescription pain meds, sleeping a little better, no longer hot/cold/hot/cold. Using Tylenol to maintain tolerable pain levels. Been trying to walk some without cane... slooow process. Stretching is a must apparently. Slowly getting somewhat of an appetite, had Popeye's chicken last night... Ooooh so good. What a treat. Day 12 is shaping up to be a good day, let my coffee kick in and we'll go from there. :beer:
 
tikipadre yeah best to get yourself off of the fog drugs, but keep them handy incase you need them. Remember, if you do need them it will be too late, but some breathing exercises could just get your pain under control until they kick in. Hey your turn on the game side. Glad to hear that all is going well. Peace be with you
 
Been taking Extra Strength Tylenol and it seems to be working amazingly well. Had a pretty long day today, post-op day #12 I did some minimal driving, and spent much too much time cooped up in a vehicle. We live an hour from any of my Dr.s and had an appt today. Thinkin I'm gonna sleep good tonight... hope so.
 
Sleep difficulties are common in the early weeks after THR. It is related to the trauma of surgery, but it can also be an effect of untreated post-operative pain. You indicate here that you are decreasing your pain medications:

Past couple of days weaning myself off of prescription pain meds

At less than two weeks post-THR, this may not be a wise choice. If you still have any type of aching, burning, stiffness, stabbing, or throbbing sensations, those are manifestations of pain and should be medicated in order to help you recover.

Here is some information about the importance of adequate pain medication in the early stages of recovery.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...ing-pain-after-a-tkr-and-the-pain-chart.7969/
 
Ok.. totally got some sleep last night,:ok: Took your advice and took some Hydrocodone before bed with my Ambien, and got a decent night sleep. Not spectacular... but enough to function better than as of late. I'll try just the Tylenol during the day and hit the hard stuff at night. I really don't like the side effects of the prescription meds, they really mess with my maintaining a comfortable temperature. hot cold hot cold...
 
Between 2 and 3 weeks post op.. doing well I think, had a great day, did some walking, and a bit of mowing on a riding lawnmower... very little, but I feel like I'm making headway. Cooked a little for the wifey and now ready for a good nights sleep. Hope I didn't overdo it. Leg feels like it's trying to even up on the lengths.. still quite a difference.
 
It is quite unique that you'd mother was in the OR with you round one! I hope your newest fixture is healing well.
My 5 month old hip still aches when I try and sleep on it for more than an hour- Could definitely have that ache go away.
 
Yes.. having my mother involved with the surgery was pretty amazing.. My OS asked her if she was ok with doing the THR on her own son, and she was totally fine with it, He then asked me, and of course I approved, and from then it was a done deal. I think he was a bit more nervous than she was, but all in all everything went well and that's what matters most. My new THR is kind of aches when I sleep on it as well, hope it doesn't last long either, but it's still under the 3 week mark so I'm pretty confident it will be awhile.
 
Kicked by a horse.... euthanized a horse (different one) and stung by a darn wasp yesterday... for a guy that can barely walk, it was an amazingly sucky day. Really paying for it today... nice color in the bruise developing on my thigh where I got kicked.. Just bad timing on my part... little too slow in moving outta the big guys way... between him and his treats.. still love the big lug. Gonna take it easy today... maybe walk out to get the mail, but holding down the couch is my main goal today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom