Lounge Doctor

TKR Tightness in knee

OP
OP
S

Smiler

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thank you to all who have listened to my whining and apologies if I have sounded negative.
I won’t be posting anymore but will be happy to see others comments and learn from them.
Best wishes

FourCats

Country
United States United States
Please keep posting. We all need to hear the ups and downs to help us through a rough time. There may be comments that “sting” (I’ve had a few of those) but the positive and supportive ones outnumber them. We need folks who may not necessarily experience the same things we do but they are on a similar journey.

Newkneemelodee

Country
Canada Canada
Smiler, after reading BBCG doing that lymphatic massage I decided to find a PT who could do that. After I had a session I was surprised at how that tight band improved. Even more so after my second session where a different PT massaged my leg for 45 min. It’s now just ever so slightly there. Quite impressed!
Mar...what do they do in a lymphatic massage? Do they actually massage your new knee? I am at 12 weeks and have that tight band still. It impedes my bend.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Mar...what do they do in a lymphatic massage? Do they actually massage your new knee? I am at 12 weeks and have that tight band still. It impedes my bend.
They don't massage your knee specifically.

It is our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on its own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

BoneSmart Forum Advisor, @CricketHip, is involved in Therapeutic Massage and has shared this exercise to assist in manual lymph drainage. This gentle, yet effective therapy will help prime your lymphatic system to move fluid and inflammation away from your leg, which in turn will help your range of motion and pain -

While lying supine, take deep breaths...deep, as in breathing in to a count of 5, 4, or 3 seconds, whatever is most comfortable for you. Hold that breath for another count of 5, 4, 3 then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 reps may help get the excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up. Repeat this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. Lying flat (supine) is best as the lymph nodes seated in your groin are less restricted, allowing for better lymph flow.

In addition, after the breathing exercise, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, at the crease in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
Be patient because it can take the body time to respond.

Sandy11

Country
Really very helpful, Celle.
Thank you.

Mar

Country
The first PT I had did the lymphatic massage and she massaged lymph areas. I felt better after that with less band tightening. The second time I went (different PT same office) he didn’t do the lymphatic massage but he massaged my whole leg for about 35 min. I went from about 65 flexion to almost 90. Very little discomfort except for when he was close to my incision. I just let him know when it was getting too tender. The woman PT I never felt any discomfort. But after both sessions my knee was better. The band is still there but only slightly. Big improvement since I changed to this PT office.

Flowerqueen

Country
You are absolutely right, two steps forward and one back it seems at this time. When I wake up I always pray to feel better but I don’t really….I know I’m only 4wks on Thursday but i feel like I’m serving a prison sentence!
Due to go to Devon (5hrs in car) on 12th June but yesterday went to the dump which is 15mins in the car and I couldn’t get comfy….we bkd it last year and my hubby needs the break but I’m not sure I can do it…
I went for a 1/2 ride and made my husband pull over so I could sit in the back with my foot up

OP
OP
S

Smiler

Country
Hi everyone,
I have purposely stayed away from here as I must admit I was way too negative and didn’t want to bring anyone else down with me!
Just an update - 6 wks tomorrow and I still have the incredible tightness in my knee but I am off of the strong painkillers and managing to walk without aids (albeit not with the gait I would like!) around the house although I use my crutch on stairs. We went to Devon for a few days and I used my crutches I think more as security as I was on unfamiliar territory and it made others aware of my situation so they didn’t get impatient with my being slow!
I find that my ankle area and foot are very swollen after I have been walking around but it may be due to the very hot weather we are having here in the UK right now….
I don’t think I will be driving anytime soon as I have a manual car which is a shame as I hoped to return to work on 12th July.
I am seeing my surgeon on Friday so fingers crossed he is happy with my progress so far!
Thank you for listening.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
It sounds like you are making progress. It's never as fast as we would like, but when you look back you realize it's happening.
Don't feel like you shouldn't post unless you have something happy to report. One of the great things about this site is that you're with people who totally get the ups and downs of TKR recovery. Sometimes you need to vent, sometimes you want to share the positive updates.

ihavetwins

Country
@Smiler I had my knee done on May 10th. You are doing fantastic! Don’t worry about the “whiny” days because they are part of recovery. I’ve had my share…

This is hard. Hang in there I promise it will get better.

eaglemom

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Please don't feel like you need to stay away. We all 'get it' here. Its a slow process with lots of ups and downs along the way.

It does sound as though your coming along.

Sisterpat

Country
Smiler, you should consider the One Step program sponsored by BoneSmart. Right now there is no cost to you and it specifically works on analyzing and improving gait issues. @Jamie can help you with this.
Meanwhile, keep checking in and posting. Everyone’s story helps everyone else!

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
Just send me a PM if you're interested in finding out about the OneStep Therapy Program. I'll give you details.

OP
OP
S

Smiler

Country
Thank you all so much for your support, your comments have really lifted me as I start a new day!

Sisterpat

Country
And each new day will bring more healing. Time and patience. One day at a time!

OP
OP
S

Smiler

Country
Good afternoon!
Just a bit of advice please; I am now coming up to 10 wks post op, I still have the tight band feeling around my knee - I am used to it now and hope it will eventually go away but over the past wk my foot has really swollen up. It looks like a pigs trotter! Joking apart it’s difficult to walk as it hasn’t got much bend, has anyone else experienced this?
I’m seeing my physio tomorrow but I thought I’d put the question out there!
Thank you

FourCats

Country
Yes and I’m a bit ahead of you in recovery. I find if I’m on my feet for more than 30 minutes without sitting with them up for 15, both of them swell. I have also been more attentive to the amount of sodium I am consuming and drinking much more water. I call mine “piggy toes”!

netrusher

Country
Smiler, I am still experiencing some foot swelling at week 14 although your issues seem more sever. My swelling has improved a lot over the past several weeks. My OS recommends elevation as the best treatment and he seems very confident that the swelling will gradually subside.

Sisterpat

Country
Swelling is quite normal even up to a year. Elevating the leg really helps, as was said. “Toes above nose” if you can. Have you been more active than is wise at this point? Let us know what your physio says, but spend today with your legs up :) !

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
coachpaul74
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom