Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tightness in knee

Thank you very much for your comments.
I went to Devon for a week and used the pool almost twice daily, not swimming as I can only do breast stroke which I know isn’t recommended but I was doing a lot of exercises, maybe this is the cause? It didn’t feel like I was doing too much at the time!
 
not swimming as I can only do breaststroke which I know isn’t recommended but I was doing a lot of exercises, maybe this is the cause?
I did the breaststroke with very easy flutter kicks. I still won't do a frog kick.

Doing a lot of exercises is counterproductive at your stage of recovery and causes recovery setbacks by keeping your knee swollen and painful. You are very early in your recovery and need to concentrate on healing, not exercising. Very gentle daily activities is all you need to do to rehab your knee.
 
Hi Sistersinhim
Thank you for your advice, I obviously overdid it in the pool and I realise I am being impatient with my recovery, 10 weeks seems a lifetime but not for this type of surgery. I have learnt my lesson as I lie in bed with zingers and a painful foot and knee…I also resorted to taking a Tramadol which I stopped several weeks ago.
Thank goodness I have all of you to bounce off of.
Goodnight from rainy London.
 
Smiler, welcome to the ODIC (Over Did It Club). We’ve all been there. Lesson learned.
 
Hi Smiler i am a littler in front of you in regards of recovery i had a right partial medial knee replacement on the 13 of April 2021. The recovery is certainly not straight forward at all i am now back at work full time and it has not been easy but week on week it has got a little easier. do not get me wrong i thought 12 weeks post op i would be pain free and living life to the full. but after finding bonesmart i now know that indeed some people have a text book recovery but for many of us it tends to be the roller-coaster recovery. The tight band feeling is really common i too have that i find this comes and goes day to day. I still elevate and ice at work and at home which helps a lot. I try to imagine when you get a splinter in your hand and it swells up around the splinter, your knee has a foreign body inside it and it is not happy it takes time for your body to come to terms with this.
 
HI @Smiler, I'm just about to my 11th week, myself, and this week have been working more, so sitting up and at the computer desk, so I've also felt my knee, ankle and foot being more swollen...a silly friend called these "cankles" calf-like ankles!

I'm glad to see you posting again! We really do all "get it" here so this really IS the place to come to do as they say "kvetch", or complain! We've all done it, as well as most of us have also joined the ODIC from time to time! It IS hard to know if you're doing too much, until your knee, several hours later, unmistakably tells you you have!

Wishing for some gentle rain here in Oregon! It is looking like we will have a scary fire year this summer, as the fires are all around us already, only in July. So, feel free to send us some rain!
 
@BBCG. have you tried knee high graduated compression socks or compression calf sleeves for the cankles? as much as I hate these groin high Ted's I think I could tolerate the calf sleeves afterwards. I used to use them on days when I knew I would be sitting a lot.
 
The pool is very deceptive--it's very easy to overdo.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom