Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tightness in knee

I hate to say it but the tight band feeling has worsened…it’s really hindering my wanting to do anything that might damage it.
3 wks today since surgery and I feel a bit glum I have to admit
 
You are still in very early days in this recovery. Try to rest, with some gentle movements to give your knee mobility. This recovery takes a lot of time. :console2:
 
Right, Smiler, VERY early days! That tightness will last a long time, sometimes better, sometimes worse. Take it slow. Ice, elevate, medicate. It will come around. Check back here often - we are all here for you.
 
Hello Smiler, from a fellow Brit. I am 11 weeks out from BTKR. I seemed to get worse before I got better too. It takes far longer than you ever imagined to progress. The steel band feeling just goes in and on. The only time I don’t have it noticeably now is first thing in the morning when I first wake up. Thereafter it’s like a jubilee clip, tightens up a notch throughout the day, especially when standing.
I do hope that you don’t have a job that involves a lot of time on your feet, you may struggle if it does.
 
Hello Ghostpipe,
My steel band feeling never eases up and I’m so much happier when I am asleep! it’s difficult describing to my other half as he says I look so well and seem to get around on my crutches just fine!
I feel proud that I have weaned myself from 3 Tramadol to 1 per day but I still take regular Ibruprofen and paracetamol.
I have a desk job but still have to go up and down stairs to clinics but at least the steel band doesn’t hurt it’s just a nuisance!
I do have to drive to work so could be another hurdle…
 
Hi Smiler, you don’t say if you are doing PT? When I go to PT where they want me to “work” on improving my ROM or extension, if I’ve let them urge me to do too much (and each day “too much” can vary!), that will set me back. So, consider your activities or PT...

I just had a lymphatic massage, super relaxing, very soothing to my knee, quite lovely. And, my knee has felt SO much better afterwards! Bending better, allowed me to cook a wee bit o’ dinner, talk in the yard with a gardener, etc.

So, the lymphatic massage was done to help ease the swelling, help encourage the lymph to drain better, despite all of my tissues in there having been messed with in a major way. I had one after TKR#1, as well, but much later in the process of trying to heal.

Afterwards, the therapist suggested I wear compression (light compression) thigh-high stockinette for a few weeks to help bring the swelling down, so I ordered some to be sent to me. And will see how that aids my recovery.
 
Hello BBCG,
Yes I have seen a physio (I think that’s the same as a PT) twice and she is very good, she never pushes me too far….tbh I wouldn’t let her anyway! I’m not seeing her again until 8th June as she is on holiday so I’d like to surprise her by being a one crutch wonder by then!
The massage sounds amazing, I will certainly look into it.
 
Oh, good! Sometimes it takes us a while to get the physio to align with our no pushing no force protocol instead of one they’ve been told to follow!

I feel very fortunate to have found the lymphatic massage person... she was working in a special fitness & health center which, prior to Covid-19 I went to weekly. But the center now has closed, sadly. This person is a specialty massage therapist, working a lot with people who have had cancer and other conditions where swelling is a big problem. I knew of the value, but was so happy to discover she was there and had an active practice.
 
It’s only been a few weeks since my knees have felt much better first thing than they did when I went to bed, ie they drained well overnight. Shame it doesn’t last all day!
Glad to hear that you have a mainly desk job, although the stairs will be a challenge.
I first tried driving at 7 weeks, it came as a complete surprise that it wasn’t a problem, seeing as most other activities were! The knees are only bent to a comfortable angle, and the action on the pedals is mainly calves and ankles.
 
Oh, good to hear, Ghostpipe! I’ve been tempted to try just driving out and in my driveway, to see if it might work. Last time, since it was my left, it was no big deal, since that leg isn’t heavily involved. But, this time with my right leg having been done, it’s a wee bit more challenging!
 
Hi Smiler. My surgery was on 4/20 and I am still experiencing the tight band feeling. From the responses I have seen on your thread it sounds like it is normal and will go away in time. It's good to know from others that it is normal!

I hope that you are doing well.
 
Good morning doxiemom2017

thank you for your message, it helps to hear that we are not alone doesn’t it?
It’s 05:40 here in London and unfortunately last night was the worst ever since my op - the band feeling was so tight I could hardly bend my knee and also so much tingling all over I haven’t really slept…. I had cut down on my meds but have just taken a Tramadol in hope that it helps and I can sleep pain free.
I hope this horrible feeling ends very soon for us both!
 
Don’t get dispirited by all this. Nighttime is awful for the first few weeks. I too was keen to not take too many pills, but as the admin here will no doubt tell you, that’s not a good idea. I ended up taking max everything before bedtime, a reasonable night makes such a difference both with the physical and mental state.
I managed to extract some zopiclone sleeping pills out of my doctor, they really don’t like prescribing them, but then they haven’t had to endure what you are going through. I took a half every night for a few weeks, they don’t last all night in the face of such pain, but it got me off to sleep to start with for a couple of hours and helped to get me back to sleep after a session of wakeful despair, a few tears and tantrums and much arranging of pillows. I then graduated to a whole one for a week or so as I had become tolerant to them. Then things started to improve, so I went on to non addictive OTC sleep aids, and now just take something if my knees are particularly bothersome.
That awful tingling comes, I believe, from inactivity. If it’s in just one spot, I found that a hot water bottle relieves it (away from your knee, of course).
One thing that I have only fairly recently discovered is that anti inflammatory gel massaged into the knee helps in the night, ibuprofen gel or even better diclofenac gel. The latter is only on prescription in the U.K., luckily I am able to buy it from the chemist here. There is the opinion that you are then overdosing on the anti inflammatory, but it hasn’t done me any harm, only good. If you don’t have heart problems, then you may be able to get some on prescription.
Bottom line, have a word with your GP and lay it on thick. Things will improve in time, then it will be easy to start weaning yourself off meds.
 
Good morning Ghostpipe,
I managed to go back to sleep for a few hours after taking the a Tramadol and an icing so I’m praying I’ll feel bit better today.
Funny you should say about the sleeping pills as it was something I was considering last night. My GP is on the ‘war path’ regarding Tramadol as when I ran out of the ones the hospital gave me he begrudgingly prescribed but sent me a txt to say these are addictive and only for short term…I will contact the surgery to see what he is prepared to do, as you say it’s not him experiencing the pain and sleepless nights!
I believe I have one of those gels in my bathroom cabinet so will give it a try too.
Thank you so much
 
Glad you managed to have a bit of a sleep. I too had a real job to extract a further pack of tramadol. So precious are they, that I kept them for extreme occasions, like the first social evening out (or rather the first 1/2 an evening out) and now if I have a really sore evening and am desperate for a decent night. I can understand GPs being hesitant to prescribe these addictive drugs, but if having one of the most painful surgeries going isn’t a good reason, I don’t know what is.
Good luck with the sleeping pills. Be firm with him!
 
Latest update! GP replied to say that he was willing to do prescription for ‘small amount’ of Tramadol to take at night but he says beyond nxt week (wk4) I shouldn’t be getting pain and would need to speak to my surgeon….
 
Unbelievable. I know that they can’t be expected to specialise in everything, but that is beyond the pale. Is there not another In the practice that you would be comfortable with? At least you got some tramadol out of him. It’s such a pity that those who abuse drugs queer the pitch for those in genuine need.
Hope you have a good night. Sleep well
 
Smiler, I had a lot of that nervy twitchy pain, too, in the first 3 weeks, snd, here in the states, I could get (on Amazon) a magnesium gel that was recommended by a massage therapist I saw after my first TKR. Something like it might be available there? First TKR I also had a compounding pharmacy make a leg topical cream with lidocaine in it, too. But, fir me, using the magnesium gel really calmed a lot of the pain at night. I used it many nights in the first 3 weeks when I had those types of pain.
 
I had to laugh as his instructions were, to do my exercises, ice my leg and take Ibruprofen regularly….
Sleep tight too and thank you for your support!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom