THR Through to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very many thanks for all the support. Yesterday was absolutely horrendous. My surgery messed up on a prescription, which, of course, had to be delivered, and they sent it through to the wrong pharmacist, who does ot cover my area. So, I had to sort that one out, and now have to wait until Monday for delivery of E45 - a product to massage into the wound and another prescription - one week after it was first ordered! I am finding that despite brain fog, healing, etc., I am having to think for outer people who cannot get things right. When I reached out for help with the things that I simply cannot do, right now, I found myself being asked if I was suffering, from dementia, was incontinent (when I commented on this one, I was told that a lot of things such as this hare hidden! I am hardly likely to divulge this sort of information to a total stranger, if I have not informed my GP!), were my teeth falling out of my head, was I able to talk, was I able to hear, was I able to see, how many times have I fallen, and so on. These questions are completely irrelevant to how I am coping alone at home post surgery, because had they pre-existed, I would be in a similar state, post surgery! So, having been asked if my teeth were rattling around in my head, I signed off. This is ageism, pure and simple. We are not credited with the intelligence and responsibility to visit our dentist pre-surgery for a checkup and hygiene, etc. for example, much less, take responsibility for our own welfare. I had already been told that I did not qualify for any help whatsoever, and have had to "wing it" since I was released. A telephone conversation with a GP, not my usual one, yesterday was frustrating, and hostile. I was not listened to when I stated that no one had been anywhere near me since being released. She was simply not interested, and then started to address the use of one of my drugs - as she has in the past. It was very clear that she has an issue with me, or with my usual GP, who is very understanding, and with whom I have an excellent relationship.

In part, it is a compliment that the NHS feels that I am able to cope on my own post major surgery, barely able to walk for the first few days at home, but had I, for example taken a fall, and caused myself severe injury, I could have been in a completely helpless state for days on end, and potentially, have died as a result. This is simply not good enough. On top of which the level of incompetence, phone calls that are never returned, and the uncaring attitude, do not auger well for the future. There needs to be a complete rethink of how NHS patients are treated on every level, particularly post major surgery.
 
Well, this is day 23 post op. I am now walking without sticks inside the house. But still using two outside. Not because I necessarily need them, but more as a protection against the few mindless who speed past on bicycles or just bump into you and keep going. I am still on painkillers and doing my exercises. One was particularly difficult - stand on operated leg and swing other leg out 12 times. At first, it was very painful and difficult, but is becoming increasingly less so.

My surgeon imposes no restrictions whatsoever, so for the past few days, I have been able to sleep on my unoperated side with a pillow between my legs, but invariably wake up on my back. When that happens, I put a pillow under my knees, as it can become quite uncomfortable. Sleeping on my side, I will always drop off very quickly, but if should become uncomfortable, I switch positions.

I have had absolutely no help whatsoever, since being released, in fact, I a now expected to make all my own arrangements for mobility aids, etc., to be picked up. sort out messes made by the surgery with respect to prescriptions that were sent to the wrong pharmacy, and do all their thinking for them. On Friday, I was informed by the duty doctor, who clearly has issues with e, although I have never met her, that I was anaemic. First I have heard of this! I queried it, and she said that it was because of the amount of bleeding during surgery. I had asked if I had needed transfusions, and was told that there was no bleeding. Obviously, there would be some when incisions are made, but how much blood needs to be lost to create an anaemic condition, and then not inform the patient? My own GP had called me at home, post op, and did not mention this, and neither did the clinic. So, why did this doctor raise it with me? She then went on to her favourite subject, my used of Diazepam as a sleep aid. This was irrelevant to the conversation, and superfluous. She had raised this before, and I referred her to my GP who has known me for over ten years, and knows what she is doing and why.

The original purpose of my call to the surgery was that one of the sutures, most likely the first one at the top of the hip had not dissolved and was causing irritation and catching on my underwear. The GP in question suggested that I "pop in" to the surgery to have it removed. The surgery is some distance away, and I cannot drive yet, and she would have known this. There is heavy building work that is being carried out and it has closed my direct route into the surgery, so a taxi fare would cost me about £60.00. I advised her of this, but am pretty sure she would have already known, anyway, as this is a main artery linking two towns and several villages together. She reluctantly said she would send the District Nurse to me. Her entire demeanor seemed to imply that I was in some way, at fault for being a patient recovering from major surgery and a nuisance that prevented her from doing her job, which is to care for her patients - or am I wrong....?

Other than all of the above, I would say that I am progressing well. Just put another load of laundry into the machine. Walking reasonably well without sticks, but am not pushing myself on that one. I think the reason behind the exercise that I have mentioned above that has caused problems is to ensure that the operated leg, which was slightly adjusted, length wise, is to strengthen it sufficiently so that it is able to weight bear with time. This is why I am not pushing myself too hard, and doing that exercise by breaking it down into smaller chunks, and that seems to have worked as it now not so difficult to do.

Cleaned the kitchen, a bit of a "lick and a promise" on that, though. On the negative side, I do feel rather depressed that nobody is taking the slightest interest in me, much less offer support, in fact, quite the reverse in some areas. Do get tired, and had a very bad day on Friday, with what may have been a tummy bug. I slept all day, but yesterday, I seemed fine. Had a bad night last night, with stomach cramps, and don't feel very hungry. Ate a banana and took a probiotic, as I think that the antibiotics that were pumped into me just before release, may have caused more problems than they solved. I may have some bad flora in my gut, now, and although I mentioned it to the GP, she was of no help whatsoever, and brushed it aside.

This is not good care. Living alone, and with no one watching over me, had I taken a fall, become concussed or dislocated my hip, I could have been lying there for days, and nobody would have been any the wiser. I try to ensure that I have a phone on me at all times, but if I am out for the count, it would be of no use.

I am wondering if my experience of post operative care is common in the UK, or elsewhere?
 
I am so sad to read of your struggles on your own. You are doing amazingly well for such a tough situation! I am not on my own but have a hubby who won't do anything for me because he heard a nurse tell me to do as much as I could on my own. But at least if I fell he would find me within a couple of hours! I keep my cell phone with me too just in case. I hope you can relax and have a few minutes of peace today!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Hi @Pandora, sounds like you've had quite a tough time in dealing with the lack of aftercare. On the positive side you've shown determination and fortitude.

Sounds like your recovery is coming along well for you so fortunately this is only temporary. Hope you can get the irritating stitches removed soon.

There are a few members here who are recovering alone and there is always someone here to offer some useful tips and advice.
 
Last edited:
Hi, @Pandora:

Sorry to hear of your struggles. I know from a world away my well wishes probably sound hollow, but I do want you to know people care. I sincerely hope things improve soon and I wish you peace and comfort for mind and body. :console2:
 
I am just a little over two months post op. Since release, I have had to fend entirely by myself. I find that I have days when I have quite a lot of energy, and others, like today, when I wake up feeling tired, eat lunch and feel the need to sleep. Sometimes for over two hours, and this will interfere with my regular routine. Before the op, I never needed to take naps, and do not need one every day. I do find that going shopping will tire me, changing bed linen, vacuuming, etc, etc. I hate this, as it is really restricting my ability to lead any sort of normal life. I cannot make any social commitments, as I have no idea how I am going to feel. Should make an appointment to see my doctor, but cannot make an afternoon appointment as I am not sure that I will be alert enough to drive, and have no one to drive me, and that is assuming that I will wish to keep the appointment. I am a very youthful 75 years. This is not normal for me, but is this a normal part of the post op recovery? Before the op, a nurse at my doctor's practice stated that I looked very run down. No response from my GP when I told her this.
 
Hi Pandora, I had a conversation with my GP about fatigue a couple of days ago and now I've to go in and get my iron levels checked. I know your GP has been of varying assistance to you but if you ring them surely they can arrange a suitable appointment or a least a chat over the phone?

Having said that, I think some fatigue is normal at this stage still and I do find a lot of housework quite tiring unless I do things in short bursts.

I hope you feel better soon.
 
@Pandora you will notice I moved your latest new thread back to your recovery thread. As we have asked before, please keep all your post op posts on this thread so that we have your history in one place and can advise you.

Post op fatigue is very normal as this thread describes: Energy drain for THRs For some it lasts weeks, for others months. The trick is to build up activity levels slowly.

However if you are still worried, I think Zelda has a good suggestion. Make an appointment with your GP. If you are feeling too tired to drive, arrange for transport when you make the appointment. It may ease your anxiety to have your iron levels checked.

In any case this will ease and you will get back to your normal activity levels. It just takes time.
 
Many thanks. I have not been on this Forum for quite some time, and have struggle on alone. I think one of the contributing factors to my ailments may be the use of Omeprazole. I intend to wean myself off this drug, and resume the use of antacids. They are a nuisance, but I am inclined to think that the PPI is not helping with y recovery, and magnesium deficiency may also be a problem, now. I have been taking 20 mg per day since around April/May 2016. I have noticed that my scalp is mildly irritated, and I put that down to the PPIs. I am lethargic, and although I want to "get up and go" I find that the bursts of energy result in fatigue, and I cannot accomplish what I have set out to do. Housework, shopping and the day to day life necessities get on top of me, and I do not want to live in a "pit," because I do not have the energy or inclination to use the vacuum! No outside help whatsoever, since discharge.
 
@Pandora After knee#2 I mentioned fatigue to my GP. What he recommended was to take a child's chewable vitamin that contains iron. I slowly felt so much better and had more energy. It's nothing I would take while on meds like Percoset that cause constipation but once off those I'll be using it again.
In most posts you mention that you have had no outside help. Is there no-one in your area who does paid cleaning services? Once every other week can make you feel lots better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom