Guest viewing is limited

THR Through to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

Please don't keep starting new threads. It's so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

We also have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum (it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page).
The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?
 
Oh my poor @Pandora .....I do wish I could come and give you some much deserved TLC. Also I would March upstairs and kick some bad neighbor butt. Yes..... I'm feeling that good 3 weeks PostOp. Praying for your good health to return! What bad luck to get a bug on top of the PostOp energy drain. I'm happy to report that mine have become fewer and further between....and I'm hoping the same for you. Do try to eat something...our bodies need Protein to Heal, so eggs are good if you can't muster anything else! Sending you love and good vibes for your continued recovery :console2:
 
You have so much energy @Jillie422 and I fully believe you'd get Pandora's neighbours whipped into shape!

You don't seem to be having much luck, @Pandora but if you're even thinking about moving to one stick then you must be doing well!
 
I am eating again, now. Had some Teriyaki salmon, asparagus - half a pack and some potato. Not quite right with Japanese food, but it was around, and I didn't want to waste it. Only had half the meal, so will finish it off later. I must have lost some weight. All the sitting around waiting for surgery has created a couple of half pounders on each hip, that need to be walked off! Am feeling better after the bug has left me and had a nice long nap after lunch. Not used to napping but it gives the body time to recover. Not sure about moving to the one stick yet. I am still a little wobbly and painful. I have OA in my wrists and have bruises at the base of my palm from leaning, probably too heavily, on the sticks. Moving things around my apartment is awkward due to lack of space, and even carrying a cup of coffee is a chore as it has to go on the overly large trolley that is hard to manipulate around my furniture. No one has been here to assess my lifestyle, so they just order things, and they are thrown in here. Furniture mostly late Arts and Craft but bed is antique French Baroque and wardrobe which is is big, is a mahogany repro of Regency. Bit of a mish mash, but inherited and wont get rid.

Fortunately, a neighbour has finally come forward and removed my household waste from the patio into the bin store. At least there is one! For the most part, they are all very borderline.
 
@Pandora , you really are having a run of bad luck, my friend. I feel awful that no one can come help for just an afternoon. I would gladly ask my sweet husband to come a do just a few things to make you feel better if he didn't have to cross the pond to do it. I was born in the UK. My father was in the Air Force back in the day! You neighbor does not deserve that title and might be tied to a horse and sent on out of Texas!

Soup is a really good thing to eat if you can keep food down. My husband has been BBQing all day, but I don't have the heart to tell him that my tummy cannot face any pork at all right now. He made pork chops, pork ribs, and sausage! I have begged off and am eating chicken broth, apples, bananas, and lots of watermelon! I still am a little queasiness.

I am struggling a bit with the Meds too. I have been given Noreco (2x) 325-10 every 4 hours for pain, 50 mg Tramadal 3 times a day for pain, Xerelto as a blood thinner, 325 ferrous sulfate for anemia, and Dulcolax stool softener. And they wonder why I get constipated.

As for my TV? I am binge watching House of Cards, Lockup, and Naked and Afraid.

I sure hope you feel better very soon. We're here to help hold you up!
 
I have sent my skunky smelling sticks into isolation and a relying on the original two that I bought some time ago. One is actually a rambler's stick, and the other one of those fold up things. I still use the skunkies, but keep them well away from the bedroom. I know that a lot of plastic is treated with skunk oil. and white vinegar is supposed to be a good remedy, but it hasn't worked.

Actually managed a few steps with just one stick, which is pretty good going for day 11! Not pushing it though, as I do not wish to become over confident and do something silly. Had my first shower and washed my hair this morning, with astonishing ease. Until now, it has been ghastly strip washes and pretend the hair doesn't exist. Awful!

I do seem to remember that when I was in the Clinic and being transferred from the frame to the sticks, the physio was thoroughly amazed by my balance. I am able to stand without any support for quite lengthy periods. The swelling has gone from my leg, with just a little around the operated ankle. So, it is time to bring out the frozen peas and elevate!

I am not kidding myself, and am aware that tomorrow maybe a totally different story. It is still one day at a time, but I am surprised by my progress given the tummy bug that kept me in bed without appetite for several days last week, and into the weekend.
 
Sounds great for eleven days out. Hope the coming week is one of continued recovery!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Yips! I was not being too ambitious in my last post, after all! I am now walking confidently with just the one stick. What a relief! This means that I can now carry a glass of something or a cup of something else in the other hand without having to manipulate that cumbersome trolley around awkward corners. I am watching my gait, and trying to correct the operated on foot (hip) from turning outward. I think this all muscular and will practice picking up a pencil with my toes to get that arch back into shape. Undoubtedly, this is due to years of OA and muscular atrophy. Is this usual, after such a short time, particularly given the fact that I was stuck in bed for four days last week with the awful tummy bug that really washed me out?
 
At 11 days post op, I walked without two crutches. This morning at 15 days post op, I tentatively took a couple of steps with no sticks at all. I was able to do it, but I think it is far too early, and think it is a case of confidence, as much as anything else. The surgeon has lengthened my op leg a little as it minimally shorter than the left, and I am aware of a little more pressure on my right, but felt no problems with balance. Pain is not so bad, I do still need them, but use paracetamol mostly. The Tramadol has been nixed except under dire circumstances. Do have some Ibuprofen that I use occasionally. Still have days to go on the anti coagulants - a necessary evil! I find that certain movements are uncomfortable still, though. Wonder how my experience is comparing with others?
 
@Pandora you will see I moved the new thread you started back to your existing recovery thread. Please keep all your recovery posts here so that we have a history of your situation and can better advise you.

Sounds like you are right on track with this recovery. Sometimes it's 2 steps forward, 1 step back. Don't rush the unaided walking. When you start leaving the walking aid behind that's a sign you are ready for the transition.
 
Sounds good, Pandora. I can walk across a room with one stick but I try not to because I notice it messes with my posture and I'm trying to get my body into good upright habits. I remember last time around, the best bit was when I would find myself across the room to pick something up or answer the phone and realise I had stood up and walked without even thinking about the sticks - it sounds like you're getting close to that!
 
I have been walking with just the one stick since day 11. I keep a full length mirror at the far end of the room, so that I can check my posture. I also do my exercises, and have found that the ground work that I put in place in the form of exercise has really paid off. I have taken just a few tentative checks unaided, but made sure that there was something that I could grab if needed. I always hold a stick in one hand, of course. It is very much a question of confidence and keeping the pain under control. I have, at times, permitted the length of time between taking pain medication to lapse beyond the recommended dosage times, as I wish to have an independent gauge on how much actual pain I am in. In my particular circumstances, I was released from the Clinic and left to get on with it by myself. Just one person has visited me, so it is very much a case of sink or swim. I have been advised that I do not qualify for assistance in any form whatsoever.

I did contact an organisation that has links to my GP's surgery, and was visited two days after release by a youngish male, who insisted that I speak with him at my dining table. I wanted to get back into bed, as I was suffering from a tummy bug. He stated that i did not qualify for help and suggested that I live in a cottage and join u3a! As a former dweller in London, New York, San Francisco, I consider myself an urban dweller, and miss the sophistication of those cities.so although a cottage in the country may sound appealing, single women in villages are ostracised, I have found, by experience.

I was contacted again by them, and was asked if I was able to talk, was I deaf, could I see, did I have any teeth that were about to fall out of my head, did I suffer from dementia, was I incontinent, and on and on! All this because I had asked if there was some form of help in terms of emptying my garbage bin, water my plants on the patio, and occasionally pick up some milk for me. I commented that the answers to these questions should be available through my GP, particularly queries regarding incontinence. The response to that was that I would be surprised by how much was hidden, to which I replied that should I be incontinent, which I am not, I would hardly be prepared to discuss this with a total stranger if I was hiding this condition from my doctor! I informed them that I had taken the precaution of visiting my dentist before surgery, which would be the more sensible thing to do, rather than permit my mouth to deteriorate for years and years to the point where teeth were falling out!

This is sheer madness, it is unnecessarily intrusive, it reduces us all to the level of an almost zero intelligence and non existent sense of responsibility for our own health and well being. Most of all, it insults the intelligence. Quite frankly, at this point, I gave up, and decided that I was far better off struggling on my own if I was to be subjected to this condescending and insulting attitude. It is quite amazing how adaptable we are, and how simple it is to find ways of managing. There are, of course, some things that are impossible to accomplish, but that is the motivation to move forward as rapidly as possible without taking unnecessary risks, and being foolish. It is knowing one's limitations, and being able to discern what is possible and what is not.
 
@Pandora- Geez! They aren't being very helpful, are they? So sorry to hear of all the additional struggles you've been experiencing in addition to the heavy business of recovery.

I know in the very practical moment by moment sense of help this forum is limited. But I hope some you have so much on you that the information and encouragement here helps renew your emotional energy to keep fighting the good fight.

Hang in there and know you are being thought of and wished well! It is going to get better.
:console2:
 
This is day 20 post op. I have been walking inside the house without any sticks for about three days, now. In fact, this morning, neighbour passed by and without thinking, I arose from my chair and walked straight across the room to the patio doors without even thinking about my stick! Pretty much pain free, and the only symptom I have remaining is a feeling of pressure in the hip itself. I am putting this down to the adjustment that the surgeon mad with leg length as the operated leg, was slightly shorter than the other, and so I am having to get used to the difference in my gait. I am still walking quite slowly without the sticks, of course, and I wouldn't dream of leaving the house without both sticks. People around here do not care whether you are on sticks or not, they will just charge straight past you, and if they knock you over, too bad. This happened to me before my op, when I was on just one stick. An absolutely enormous thug of a man sent me flying and didn't bother to turn around, he just kept barging along.

My fatigue levels are still unpredictable, and today is a very trying day. Feeling somewhat depressed, and cannot put my mind to anything of any intellectual value. Wanted to get to my piano today, but just don't have the emotional or intellectual energy. I know this is all part and parcel of the recovery, but it is still bothersome, nevertheless. It will pass, and I comfort myself with the thought that I am making extremely rapid progress, my body is healing fast. I have cabin fever, and still another three weeks or so, before I can get behind the wheel, again.

My mind is still a little "mushy" and I don't like that, either! I am irritable, too. In fact, right now, I am probably a total pain in the tutu! Probably best avoided!
 
People around here do not care whether you are on sticks or not, they will just charge straight past you,
This I understand @Pandora :) In addition to now having 2 man made hips I have multiple sclerosis. For me this includes having balance and gait issues. Several months before my recent THR I started walking with a cane to help with my MS. I also hoped that it might give my fellow NYC commuters a heads up that I was not able to move as swiftly as they could. The cane helped tremendously with the former, not so much with the latter :thud:

Kyle
 
I posted yesterday o my recovery rate, but that post has disappeared! However, by day 19, I found that I was able to walk without a stick, but obviously, only around the house. If I go out, I make sure that I am on two sticks, as people around here simply do not care enough, and will barge into you sticks, disabled, or not! Pre op, I was using a stick and was nearly knocked off my feet by a hulk of a man who pushed his way past me, regardless. I am finding that I have feelings of pressure in the operated leg, and a physio exercise that I have been given - standing on operated leg and raising the unoperated leg is very difficult and quite painful. I did persevere, but wonder if this exercise in inapproprriate at this stage. Otherwise,, flexibility and balance is excellent. I have had no outside help whatsoever, so have had to do all the heavy lifting, moving, etc. myself. I do not qualify for help! I may be getting a little ahead of myself by disposing of both sticks at times, but still do use the one stick quite a lot. Yesterday, I saw a neighbour pass by, and stood up and walked straight to the patio doors without even thinking about picking up my stick. It was only when I reached them, that I realised what I had accomplished!

Suffering from cabin fever, and a little of the expected depression. Constant tummy problems, although I rely mostly on salads and muesli. Anti coagulants continue for another two weeks. Fatigue levels are not as bad, but as I have to do everything myself, I do tire more than maybe, I should. The system here is not good, as I really could have done with some outside help and emotional support.
 
That's funny, Pandora - I've been eating muesli (with a handful of raspberries) every day and not always for breakfast. I do feel for you doing all this on your own.

In terms of physio, if it hurts don't do it. I couldn't stand on my operated right leg until 7 weeks. This time with the left, I can do it now at less than 3 weeks - if I'm holding onto the kitchen counter! There's obviously no set timetable for these things so don't be afraid just to say you're not ready and stop the exercise.
 
I think you're doing amazingly well, especially given your having to fly solo through the whole experience.

My surgery was a day after yours, and my progress has mirrored yours almost exactly. When I have a bout of fatigue, I at least lie down and, if I can, I nap, no matter what time of day it is. When I'm feeling somewhat energetic, I tackle a household task and then rest afterwards. And when my brain is in gear, I sit and write or work on my business until my brain grinds to a halt. Some days I can work, some days I just can't. My schedule is ruled 100% by my body, and that's working really well for me.

There is no "should" when it comes to when you tire! I'm still taking a nap every day, and as recently as over the weekend, I slept for 4 hours mid-afternoon--unheard of for me! I figure, if I'm sleeping that deeply for that long, my body must be needing the energy for some major healing. I don't try to talk my body out of it and I absolutely don't scold myself for it. It's only been 3 weeks since we had surgery--we're doing great, don't worry! :-)
 
@Pandora - Fatigue, irritability, depression, brain fog, tummy issues - yep, all of those sound familiar. I don't know if that helps at all, but since you haven't had much in the way of support, I wanted you to know I too (and many others) have experienced the same things in our own journeys. Looking at the brighter side of things, no sticks and no pain sounds fantastic! Don't lose sight of your progress it sounds like you are flourishing despite loads of obstacles. Be proud of yourself and know it will keep getting better. (I know on some days that sounds like a load of ****, but hold on - it's true. We have brighter days ahead.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom