Guest viewing is limited

TKR Three weeks out getting impatient!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Campervan & @RunA42K thank you so much for the information! Good to know about the RX needed. Will add it to my ever growing list of things to ask my OS about! I can't get the tightness and 'vice-like' feeling to dissipate, so I'm up for trying most anything at this point.
 
@Campervan & @RunA42K thank you so much for the information! Good to know about the RX needed. Will add it to my ever growing list of things to ask my OS about! I can't get the tightness and 'vice-like' feeling to dissipate, so I'm up for trying most anything at this point.

That tightness and vice-like feeling is actually another form of pain. Some people describe it as having a tight rubber band around your knee. Unfortunately, you can't do anything to make it go away. It will only go in its own sweet time. It'll gradually get less, until one day you realise it's gone.

Please understand that there is nothing you can do to make your knee heal faster. I know that's a pain in the butt, but it's the truth. It will all take as long as it takes, because your knee is in charge. Very hard, if you are the impatient type, I know!! :console2:
 
My own thread is currently Slow, Slow, Quick Quick Slow but I had it renamed from "Tight Rubber Bands at Three Weeks". They took literally months to go away. They were less or more bearable when I took diclofenac 75SR. I stopped at two weeks, and my knee got stiffer, so started taking them again on Jamie's suggestion and they eased. They really did take months to go away and I didn't realise they'd gone until one day at about 7 months they came back. I get stiff even now at 2years if I overdo it.
 
I had that tight stiff feeling for months and months and months. I used to describe it as a tight metal clamp around my knee. Whenever it got cold it was worse. It will ease up in time, but like Campervan said, even much later on, doing too much it will temporarily return again
 
My new knee is over 2 years old now, but I still get that feeling first thing in the morning, after lying in bed all night, and it happens if I sit for too long anywhere. It goes away after I take the first few steps, so I tend to ignore it now and think it is just part of the very small price I pay for having a great, painless knee again.
 
Hi all,
Moving along really well now. I got the dreaded restless legs but the magnesium taken early in the day seems to have helped. I feel like I am making progress doing more around the house cooking dinner and taking a couple of days instead of a couple of hours to clean my house. I am starting to feel like me again. I am going to a new physio next week that also does Pilates so I am really looking forward to that. I am due to go back to work on the 28th of this month but I may try to negotiate another week. If I can then I can if not then me my knee and my painkillers will bite the bullet and just do it!
I am really grateful for the support and ideas from this site and will continue to keep reading. I think the website should be given to all patients so that they can get the support from others who have had the same procedure.
Keep up all the good work people it does get better in time.
Sharyn
 
I feel like I am making progress doing more around the house

I am starting to feel like me again
Your post is resounding with positive vibes! You are making progress in so many different ways!

Thank you so much for the compliment about the forum---but thank you even more for your wonderful post---others need to see your progress and know that that will be them someday! These small little victories such as yours' will help eventually win the war!
 
Dear Bone Smarties,

I am still not feeling too bad and will be returning to work next week. My problem now is not my knee it is feeling quite good and if that was the only thing I would be great. The issue that I am having at the moment is my left ankle which spasms when I am trying to go to sleep. I am taking all sorts of things to help it, icing, foot up etc but the only thing that helps is the OxyContin which basically knocks me out. I am not getting to sleep until about 3 am then sleep most of the morning. I am getting concerned as I only have a limited supply. I don't think that the GP will give me anymore. Has anyone else had this issue and do you have any ideas I am also taking magnesium, tramadol, paracetamol, ibuprofen. I am not due to see the OS until 7/2/14. I have not had a check up with him at all.

Thanks again,
Shaza
 
@Nzshaz .... first thing, would you please create a signature for yourself that has your surgery date in it? That way people won't have to hunt to see how far you are out from surgery before offering advice. To create a signature, mouse hover over your username and then select Create a Signature from the drop down menu.....THANKS!!

You might try puttin heat on either your ankle or the small of your back when you lie down to go to sleep. That sometimes helps. You are only a little over a month out from your surgery and it actually is pretty normal to have leg movement. Here is an article from our BoneSmart Library about it.

If it is bothering you on a regular basis, have a chat with your GP and see if he/she can try some of the meds that are out there. If your surgeon wants you to get off oxy soon, you can ask for hydrocodone as a step down drug. It works for a lot of people in these early days of recovery.
 
Hello fellow bone smarties,
I just wanted to share that I actually slept 6 hours straight in my own bed last night, hopefully it will continue.
So good :-)

Sharyn
TKR 18/12/13
 
That's good, @Nzshaz
You've passed the one-month mark now and you should start to feel you are progressing. As you feel better, do try to resist the impulse to do too much. Your knee is still healing, so be kind to it. It will reward you later!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Three weeks out getting impatient!
Nothing beats a good night's sleep, @Nzshaz. Hope this is an omen of things to come, but don't be too surprised if the dreaded insomnia rears its ugly head from time to time.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Would Aspercreme fall into the category of topical anti-inflammatory?
I hope you are still doing well. I am close to 7 weeks out and have had a series of "one step forward and 3 steps back moments." Looking forward to real progression. Keep up the good work!!
 
I am not able to take anti inflammatories but saw on this website that someone was talking about topical ones-duh hadn't even thought about them!
Be careful - just because they are topical doesn't mean they don't affect stomach and kidneys. They do.
I am taking all sorts of things to help it, icing, foot up etc but the only thing that helps is the OxyContin which basically knocks me out. I am not getting to sleep until about 3 am then sleep most of the morning. I am getting concerned as I only have a limited supply. I don't think that the GP will give me anymore. Has anyone else had this issue and do you have any ideas I am also taking magnesium, tramadol, paracetamol, ibuprofen
How much Tramadol and paracetamol are you taking? if you are taking appropriate doses, you shouldn't need the oxycontin.

I have some questions to ask you:

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Three weeks out getting impatient!
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! reps, sets and session and all that)
 
Generally the knee feels uncomfortable rather than painful, the spasms come on at night. I had restless legs before the surgery and this has exacerbated it. I am taking 200 mg sustained release tramadol twice a day with paracetamol 6 hourly. That controls the pain. I was previously I.e. Before surgery taking tramadol for pain it worked very well. I also was on tempazepan for the restless legs which I have increased over the last couple of nights. I am aware that this drug is addictive I have been taking it for many years. I am going back to work next week so will keep on the same regime until I have settled into a pattern then taper off slowly. I am doing most things around the house with some assistance from my family e.g. Carrying washing baskets. I am back to doing all of the cooking. I rest ice and elevate 2-3 times a day or as needed. I still use one crutch. I am doing lots of stretches, stationary cycling, straight leg raises. I attend PT 1 x per week she also does Pilates and is going to gradually introduce me to that. I am pretty happy with the way things are going if I get to sleep at night.

Sharyn
18/12/13
 
This is my last day off work so am sitting in bed making the most of it. I am a little fearful about returning to work but have negotiated a return on a part time basis for a few weeks and hope that will work ok. Hope all other bone smarties are going well, I will post to see how things are with people.
Wish me luck!

Nzshaza
18/12/13 TKR
 
Hi there,
Just posting that I made it through half a day at work today but really needed the ice when I got home. I think I am on my way and my life is returning
Nzshaza
TKR 18/12/13
 
Good job! Totally jealous! I'm still waiting for some semblance of my former life :beg:Glad to hear you're icing. Be good to yourself!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom