THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for someone as knowledgeable as Josephine, but some of the new(ish) materials like ceramic are likely to last a very long time, although the jury is out on that particular material because we simply don't yet have the data. (not enough time has passed yet)
 
@Josephine

I am 2 or 3 weeks off my 6 month post op Josephine Dear and I am having plenty of brisk pace walks with the cane and short periods, during same session, without the cane. I am noticing at the faster pace I am getting out of puff a lot quicker compared with my pre op preparation efforts six months ago.
would I be right in assuming that the walks, at speed, with the cane, and a leg that is yet to fully heal would be a lot more taxing on my cardiovascular system?

I am telling myself that I have probably lost a lot of my fitness level designed to combat ankylosing spondylitis and prepare me for my THR during this past six months

oh, before I forget......my likely inflamed trochanteric bursitis DX.....would it "clear up" by itself if I laid off for a few weeks or three, or is a cortisone injection necessary?

oh, before I forget, part two......I usually only ice at night and you are gonna tell me that's not enough, right?
 
TB will ultimately clear up on it's own. But it could take a short time or a long time!

Walk whatever you feel able to and that doesn't aggravate your TB or AS. Only you are the final judge of that. Same for the icing. You're far enough out now for me to not dictate anything in that regard!
 
hi @Josephine

Today was my six month check up by my OS. I ALWAYS come away from these meetings feeling a little deflated. I ran your thoughts on my possible TB and he replied "I removed your bursa."

He says it's the muscles in my hip that's causing me the stiffness and pain around the bursa area. He also said that my muscles in my hip would never be the same. In a more general statement he said that most folk never get rid of the cane after their THR! I NEVER used a cane before the op. He never offers me any confidence for the future at all TBH

To be fair though, he told me he could tell straight away by looking at me that I had improved since my last visit 3 months ago. He said my leg difference had improved (something I was not really aware of having)

I am now a bit more realistic in my expectations and expect it to be a full year before I am "back to normal"

When I mentioned the trochanteric bursitis and followed it up with an expert like abbreviation of TB, you would have thought I touched him with a cattle prod "we don't do abbreviations round here!" LOL

see ya in 6 months Jo I have some work to do......

hope you are well :)

John
 
Hi John, @ochaye - yes the body takes its own time to heal no matter how we would like to change it. Did you read this article about the healing time frames and processes the body goes through silently going about healing

:)

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
I will Poppy ,thanks. yer hair's lovely, Scottish colour tae :)
 
@Poppet
I, naively I suppose, somehow expected that one day I would no longer need the cane for long(ish) distances and that day would present itself on ,say, week 6,10 or 12 or something. I have read on these pages of mostly younger folk, and some my age, who managed to "lose" the cane quite quickly, I mistakenly used this a my yardstick until I realised that we all heal at a different pace and that some folk have had their THR done after only a year or 18 months of degeneration of their hip.( I was astonished to discover that one can have a normal hip one year and require surgery in less than 18 months later) I put up with mine for too long....about 8 years, so there is a lot more healing to be done on my part. that about right you think Poppet?

hope you are well Poppy

PS my youngest nephew out there in Oz land climbed a famous bridge in Oz last week and proposed to his girlfriend at the top......looks like I am gonna have TWO nephews and two children down your way soon :)
 
Hi John @ Ochaye.....it's rather annoying isn't it when it ' just doesn't happen ' soon enough!! I'm 20 weeks post op....my gait is slowly getting there but still use the crutch for longer walks ......I guess we are all going to get there in our own sweet time. I've found hydrotherapy to be very good and my LLD has improved considerably. In 6 months time we will be skipping along ....!! Take care Chrissie xxx
 
He says it's the muscles in my hip that's causing me the stiffness and pain around the bursa area.
Well, of course it is! The TB is just a part of the IT band. Duh!
He also said that my muscles in my hip would never be the same.
What an endless little ray of cheerless sunshine he is!
When I mentioned the trochanteric bursitis and followed it up with an expert like abbreviation of TB, you would have thought I touched him with a cattle prod "we don't do abbreviations round here!" LOL
Oh yeah? OH YEAH? I'd believe that ... like NOT! Medicine invented abbreviations!
 
Hi there John @ochaye - that must have been the Sydney Harbor bridge. How special! You might have to think of visiting your family (and Aussie friends) down under one day xx

Thought you might like these images..

[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome
[Bonesmart.org] THR: my journey and outcome
 
@Josephine
Hi sweetheart :)
since my op, my leg difference in width is 1"....my op leg looks a little "wasted" down the outside of my thigh area. I understand that this is normal but can I regain the lost or wasted muscle Jo?

I am doing body weight squats with my back to the door....I can't expect to win any major body building trophies Jo if I don't have the symmetry in me leggies :) whaddya think?

hope you are well

John xxx
 
Hey John - ya planning to enter a Mr Universe competition then? Or just attract the babes on the beach!

Honestly hun, you're only 5 months out yet (to the day!) so it's still a bit early to be struggling to body build! Just take it gently and persistently and walk plenty - you can't beat walking. Little an often will win the day and by the end of the year you will begin to see some changes. You wait and see if Momma Hen isn't right!
 
@Josephine

the area around my hip joint still hurts somewhat, especially after long(ish) walks.
I felt sure it was the TB thing you spoke to me about, that's where I feel the tenderness, the soft area around the socket. after a long walk or exercise I can feel a deep pain and sometimes a slight superficial touch to the skin on the area feels sensitive to me.
the diagram depicting TB with the red shaded area on the IT band, becoming stiff, are my symptoms right to a T....and occasionally some mild discomfort on the buttock at the back

I understand that we all heal at a different rate due to all sorts of things. I "carried" my sore hip for 8 years thinking I could "beat it" and would delay the op for as long as possible, so I understand that a lot more damage has been done to my hip than some of the nice folks on here and therefore will take a longer time to heal.

thing is Dear Jo, in a week and a half I will be 7 months post op and barely able to walk any further than around a football park without my cane before this muscle/socket pain kicks in and I limp to a standstill!

could this be a normal situation for me WITHOUT anything being wrong?
could I be having the bursa type problems/pain without a bursa?
if you go back a couple of posts Josephine you will see that my bursa was removed and the surgeon stated that it was the muscles surrounding my hip that was causing the pain in the bursa area.

I read all the time that nearly all folk are back to normal walking without a cane after 6 months and that many forget which hip was operated on after one year....I sometimes fret that this will never apply to me

I don't read many stories on BONESMART of folk who are still struggling after 7 months post op and it is sometimes a little disconcerting for me to be in this bracket. I know you have reassured me many times, and thank you for that, it's just that I sometimes wonder if my hip tenderness and walking distances will ever improve to my satisfaction

many thanks and much love
John
 
thing is Dear Jo, in a week and a half I will be 7 months post op and barely able to walk any further than around a football park without my cane before this muscle/socket pain kicks in and I limp to a standstill!
I'm 5 years out and still get episodes of "bringing me to a standstill" pain in that area. That's when I shoot off to the chiropractor and get it sorted.
could this be a normal situation for me WITHOUT anything being wrong?
No, I keep telling you, it's ITB tendinitis.
could I be having the bursa type problems/pain without a bursa?
Of course! The bursa part is actually far less common than the ITB tendinitis.
if you go back a couple of posts Josephine you will see that my bursa was removed and the surgeon stated that it was the muscles surrounding my hip that was causing the pain in the bursa area.
I remember, but he cannot remove the bursa itself, just the inflamed part that was full of fluid. There will always be a small part of the normal bursa left behind. Because the trochanteric bursa is a normal part of our anatomy.

However, all that is academic as your real issue is chronic IT band issues. So go see a chiropractor and let him sort it out for you. And don't expect it to take only one or two sessions. After all this time, it could take a few.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom