THR THR: my journey and outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine
thanks Ma'am :)

will it "get better" on it's own without a chiropractor and are there any stretches or exercises that can help?

as I said the OS just said it was the muscles surrounding my socket area and did not appear to be the slightest bit concerned with helping me in any way



John
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I see from the papers that Boris Becker has just had two hip ops.....anyone any ideas as to what he has had done?

*umpire* " new balls please!"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
hi folks :)

anyone else noticed that their energy levels have dipped after their THR, and stayed that way for some time?
I'm about 7 and a 1/2 months post op I guess and my energy levels are still not what they used to be.
I suppose standing for two hours a night with a 10lb guitar 'round my neck and shoulders can't be too good for my new hip.........ach well.

I work at recovery so hard and get so tired and sometimes forget that the pain used to be soooooo much worse. who was it that said recovery was a marathon? da*n right Sister Jo

just a bit fed up folks. will be alright in a year or two









:)
 
I am away tae make maself a cup o' grated root ginger tea wae a dash o' lemon. tastes awful but is supposed tae be guid fer IBS

paaarpppp ewwww, opps,sorry folks :rolleyes:


150 poasts, dae I no git a badge or sumthin Jo?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, John - put a dash of Scotch in with that tea (not a single malt, that would be a terrible thing to do!), it would make it taste better. :martini:
I'm 16 months out, can walk without a stick but still get very tired. I don't seem to be able to up the distance walked but blood tests last week have shown everything normal except thyroid, been on thyroxine for years but have now gone to higher dose. I assume you have ruled out anaemia or anything else that could affect your stamina? I've got to have another test in 6 weeks and see how I feel in the meantime.
Going to the guitar, what sort of music do you play - could you sit or "perch" your backside on a stool? Probably do nothing for the image, but what the hell!:)
Take care of yourself
Anne
 
hi thanks Anne
walked 20 mins without cane today :) quite pleased with myself. I expect I have still some "healing" to do yet my friend.
I am an old rocker at heart and just play for myself these days. as for sitting whilst playing it would hurt my "sitting bones" too much. I'm afraid I have ankylosing spondylitis to contend with ( that's how I got the OA in my hips I suspect ) that too would account for my fatigue.

the Scotch sounds like a great idea.......I shall run it past my wife :)

keep well Anne :)
 
Hi @ochaye I found my energy levels the most surprising thing about THR....I was so tired all the time!!!!! And considering my age and that I only had a year with the pain I was surprised. Looking back it was probably the infection bubbling away. However when the infection made my hip sore again, it reminded me of how much worse of I was before THR despite my complications.

Now remember, that if you have put Up with lots of pain and deterioration prior to surgery, it will take longer to recover. The moderators here at BS often say that full recovery can take up to 2 years. So please be patient. You are doing just fine. My surgeon said when the hip gets put back in, my recovery will be longer than my initial THR because my body have been through so much. If you had issues with AS as well, then that might have slowed you down too

I think your dng great. Keep up the good work
 
Sally thanks for the reply and encouragement :)
yeah, put up with my sore hip for 8 years so damage is/was extensive.

I hope the replacement works just fine for you this time around and you are up on your feet in no time at all

all the best to you
john
 
40 minute walk today without the cane...7 1/2 month post op to the day :)
the gait wasn't always pretty to look at today and I was in some discomfort for a while but I am well chuffed with my efforts and now realise that it will probably be closer to a year before things really start to "settle down"

my next goal, and I will leave it for a month, will be a full hour

over and not out, John
 
Dear All Tonight I was quite depressed regarding my progress of my hip op (now 13wks) and STILL walking with a limp .... I have read through all postings since achaye started his journey - (away last year)
What a great lot of inspiring people you all are ! Thank you so much for all the advice and tips and links - they have helped me so much and have left me with the conclusion that I am just a wee bit like achaye in as much I am too impatient !! Must be the Scottish stubborn blood racing through the veins !! I really must get to bed now - or I will be so stiff I won't be able to get up from this chair! and tomorrow I will be asking advice about Tired Eyes !!! Thanks again folks - will pop in tomorrow and see who has managed to throw 'em sticks away.... truly thanks again xx
 
@rabaw...so impatience is a Scottish trait? Glad that BS has helped...it is fab! At 6 months post op I've just got ridof the nod elbow crutch and walk straight without pain and no limp...it's so worth giving it time....good luck with yours...xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@rabaw......whit a great name :) I was SURE you would be a man wae a name like that :)

it's so easy to have a gander at some other members post and notice that they got up from the operating table,shook aff the effects of the anesthesia, bid the surgeon thanks and farewell and walked hame withoot any crutches. such is the recovery rate of some of our friends here,but alas we mere mortals will have to soldier on that wee bit longer.

watch oot for the blues and take yer time wummin. an' take it from me yeah cannae hurry up the healin' process

if I can help wae anything drop us a line anytime and take care
John
 
oh BTW ,once yer tired eyes clear up you will nae doubt notice it's OCHAYE,as in ochaye the noo

help ma boab
:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
going to see my rheumy on Fri. this is the guy that looks after me and my ankylosing spondylitis. it was he who referred me for the hip op about this time last year and I have not seen him since.
the x-rays will look somewhat different this time round ,that's for sure.

I see him twice a year and he keeps an eye on things like heart valves, CRP levels and ESR

they take measurements too to see how my disease is progressing. I have had it since I was in my early 20s and it is notoriously difficult to diagnose....I had to wait until I was 30 odds to get a FINAL DX.

the pain in my 20s and 30s can only be described as sickening. after the fusion in the spine and neck pain levels start to settle down as one ages....then the hips kicked in...

I can see now that my pain was poorly mismanaged by myself, my GP, and rheumy

one day ( far too late) as I was visiting my GP he said to me..." I think you are suffering from pain related depression"
looking back I can see that I was "crippled" with depression and anger from year after year of the most awful pain.

WHY DID YOU NOT TAKE THE PROPER MEDS? I hear you ask, well.......I did for a while,Ibuprofen. that gave me ectopic heart beats after a while and probably ruined my stomach ( I now have IBS) only yesterday it ( brufen) was the headline in the papers again for causing all sorts of heart trouble, Diclofenac too. if you are reading this and on any of these meds please don't fret as we are all different and react quite differently to these meds.

so the Doc put me on Vioxx tabs.......I read for myself some months later that these tabs were causing all sorts of problems with the heart,these tabs were withdrawn from the market. so we are left with co codamol and Tramadol.
my Doc told me to take 2x50mg Tramadol QID 4 times a day...went about like a zombie for two weeks and almost had a Tramadol habit in as little as a fortnight. coming off them was no laugh. co codamol is pretty much the same but with different withdrawal symptoms.

not trying to scare folks here....if it works for you that's all that matters.

the next suggestion from my Rheumy was TNFs. a new wonder drug in the treatment of rheumatoid disease.
if you are at all interested you can read about the TNFs yourself on the net. I was not for trying these meds.

as fate would have I was probably not suitable with borderline high BP and the fact that my Mother had died from TB. ( GRHS) ( TNFs lower your immune system)

it's only since I had my hip done and released from that particular pain that I am starting to realise what a mess I was in

I have probably said enough for tonight

John
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @ochaye I just had to comment about your being happy with your nice walk the other day.
You said you were 'chuffed'. I got a kick out of that the first time I heard it used by Chrissie @Hoppy Nanny .
Y'all have funny terms, but endearing....
 
Aye n I thought I got me stubborn traits from my German ancestry not the wee bit of Scottish in me. Welcome to BoneSmart! I was on Vioxx for quite some time. Was wonderful til I started reading about heart issues. So far so good.


Sheryl from Pittsburgh
LTHR on 4/2/2014
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
^ aye,gettin' the right kind/balance of meds is often quite difficult
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom