Guest viewing is limited

THR THR - a variety of weird things I've noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad you are feeling better! One day at a time....we can do this!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
@dinsmaum
I went in today with my own lap top and demanded work. I am now working from home, at least for this week.
So that's one dragon slayed.
Weds will be 1 month post op and I am still peeing every 2 hours, so not sleeping well. I tried my bed again last night and I just cannot get comfortable!!! I'm only pain free in this chair. I wonder if I've begun to heal wonky? Perhaps I need to 'train' my body to get comfy sleeping on my side again? I was quite comfy laying on my stomach for 15 minutes but getting out of the position proved problematic.
I just wonder if all this time on my back has made it so my hip is only happy that way....eeek I dearly hope not.
I am hopeful this week home will allow me a chance to get to feeling better.
Wish me luck!!
 
I didn't sleep well at all until 6 weeks when freed from back-sleeping restrictions. Then all was fine, as I was happily back to side-sleeping. Don't know much about the stomach approach. I'll bet that by 6 weeks you'll be feeling a lot better.
 
Took me three months to get back on my side, and that only worked for 30 minutes or so. Eventually it all sorts out. Do remember that it take at least a FULL YEAR for all the soft tissue healing to finish up...so at one month you're in a very early stage still.

Sharon
 
@MThipkid : So glad you are able to work from home this week!!!:yes!: You can pace yourself so much better that way!
As the others have said, early days yet for all the deep healing. My guess is you will be very pleased with how things change in the next couple of weeks. The difference between four weeks and six is actually quite a lot! :)
 
@dinsmaum
I cannot tell you how much i am looking forward to it.
This week will be better, just the relief if not worrying about how to fold up to get in and out my Honda.
 
@MThipkid, I can relate to your relief at not having to get in and out of your car. For a long time, that was the 2nd most difficult thing for me to endure, the first being sleeping on my back. It does get better. I barely give getting in the car a thought now.

So glad that you are able to work from home. I have been lucky to also be able to do that. I find that I can get a fair amount done in the morning and then a little more in the afternoon. By the evening, my brain just does not want to focus much on anything.
 
Another round of frustration that may actually be good news.
Dr will not let me off my walker until July 1, just about 6 weeks post op. The thing is this stupid walker and rollator are more tiresome and in my opinion dangerous, than a cane at this point.
I was a good girl and did not go get a cane at 2 weeks post op although was a bit surprised by an additional 4 weeks of half weight bearing.
As of today, 1 month 2 days post op, I found myself walking away from my walker without thinking about it a couple if times while cruising about the house doing little tasks and chores.
I limped but I think because I am still very much aware of the 'bad side" and frankly paranoid I will do damage.
I'm not saying I'm ready to ditch walking aids altogether, as there is some residual fear, but I truly believe another 2 weeks is overkill.
I could get somewhere so much faster if I weren't wrestling the walker!
I'm back to feeling caged up, impatient, and cross.
I find myself bending more, including breaking the 90 degree thing, I just don't 'feel' like I need to keep behaving as a fragile bodied person.
Sigh.....the good news I suppose is that on July 1 I should be nearly ready for independence, at least that's the mantra that keeps me sane at the moment.
As an aside, how about those rugs in front of produce in the grocery store eh? Lets hear it for about killing me whilst shopping because they flop over and create a hazard...at least for people with walkers.
Sheesh!! Enough already
 
@MThipkid Deep Cleansing Breath, in through the nose...

Your body has very recently been through a rather traumatic event. It needs time to heal properly. While the walker and surrounding restirctions may feel claustrophobic, they serve the long term good. And isn't the long term good why you hade your hip replaced in the first place? :)

As you have started to notice, your body will dictate the pace of your recovery. A few steps without the walker here, brushing up against the 90 degree rule there. These kinds of things will start to hapen more often, but it is very important that they happen within the context of your doc's master plan.

Good things have started happening for you. Let them,but slowly :)

Kyle
 
@kwarendorf
Yes of course, must remember to breathe.
I suppose the correct thing to do is just be grateful I appear to be healing.
I'm very much looking forward to the "end" whatever that is.
Having all sorts of daydreams about flowery fields with butterflies that I can run through, which is odd because I do not run if I can help it.
Its odd, the thought of having new parts and what that might offer up.
Taking a walk without pain would probably be more realistic.
In any event, I am beyond ready
 
My OS wanted me off the walker by two weeks because of his ego! He's not a very cautious OS and feels recovery is a one size fits all (which is so wrong). Because of BS, I decided not to stop using the walker until my limp was almost gone. Then I used my cane until I could walk without a noticeable limp (I still use it on occaision when I don't feel like concentrating on my gait). When I'm very tired I find the limp returns ever so slightly, so then I whip out the trusty cane. The main focus is to make sure you aren't limping, so you don't have to unlearn the limp later.
 
@Cynthia777
I am almost limp free with the walker but the lack of a limp makes me question the amount of weight I'm bearing on that side. So, the limp is because I'm not putting more than half my weight on that side.
I'm excited to have restrictions lifted, I'm confident I'll be able to walk unaided very soon after.
 
Greetings dinsmaum!
Well Id say well enough. I did take 2 trips to another city this week about 200 miles round trip each time. I sure feel stiff and sore after driving and sitting too long.
I am having some swelling at the end of the work day as well. I work 4 ten hour days, but the swelling goes right back down once I elevate my feet.
I'm having pain in my buttock, although its the hip it is now felt from behind.
I have moved back into my bed and I do sleep a wonderful 4 to 5 hours at a stretch but I'm quite sore when I get up in the morning, it seems to be due to twisting while sleeping. That hip sure hollers about those sleeping movements.
I am down to only 800 mg Motrin and 1 teensy little 5 mg hydrocodone at night as the pattern of a flair of pain still comes on like clock work between 5 and 6 pm.
I have been abandoning the walker more often now for short trips around the House and office but I find that due to the limp my good side is sore and tired.
In fact, my non op knee is really screaming, it seems to be in protest about carrying most of the load for so long now, but I've had rotten knees for longer than I've had rotten hips.
I've more or less abandoned the 90 degree rule, I painted my toe nails and shaved my legs, and I've been bending at the waist to pick things up. I don't notice any pain or issue with that, the lingering issues seem to be related to forward or lifting movement of the operated side. Not sure if muscles are still knitting back together and that's the cause?
I feelloads better but am still experiencing fatigue, as though I've run a Spartan race or something when all I've done is go to work.
My hope is that all improves with a bit more time.
I see my OS one week from today and hoping for a good report, and a recommendation for PT if for nothing else than to utilise the warm water therapy and hot tubs, and to get a better handle in this limp.
How are you doing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom