THR THR - a variety of weird things I've noticed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,I had my LTHR on May 18th.I have the same issues with getting hot and cold,very hard getting comfortable.This dependence on other thing will pass.I make it a goal of helping husband with kitchen duty.I do the dishes ,counters and floors as well as laundry and just picking up.Had a LTK 5/18 last year and will have R hip replaced in August so the dependence thing has really stunk.Do what you can but be careful as it takes more time in the long run if you impede your healing with too much strenuous movement now


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@MThipkid : Staying safe is #1! The other thing is your energy is going to be limited, and you still have a lot of healing going on. You want to have some left for that, and not all of what you have going to the job! In an ideal world, of course!
 
@Healer01
We are surgery date twins :)
Yes I do wipe counters, load the top rack of the dishwasher, little stuff as I'm able.
I went to work today for 3 hours and have been planted in my chair since returning home napping in and off
I think I'm learning to just let my body call the shots and not argue.
If it says sleep now i do it.
 
@dinsmaum
They will not let me do ppwk from home. Not sure why exactly as I offered to do the whole teams notes, discharge summaries, and whatever else, but my clinical manager resisted. The bean counters were all about it as I am the only one who is OCD enough to have it all complete each week, in guessing worries over confidentiality is her go to.
They have put me at hourly and allowed me to borrow against future paid time off for ,now.
I am exhausted from my paltry 3 hours. Spending the rest of the day in my chair.
 
My surgery was one day later. My girlfriend left for a visit with her grandsons yesterday so I'm on my own :yikes:

I'm actually doing really well. I've managed to do laundry in the basement of my apartment building, changed my bed, been feeding myself nicely and even changed the litter box this afternoon.

I've been dialing in to work for 2 weeks and am planning to return to the office full time next Thursday. I'm pretty surprised at how good I feel :)

Kyle​
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's amazing!! I was told to continue to observe the 90 degree rule, so basically things on the floor stay there, such as the litter box.
Little things like that don't phase me so much now, I'm just shocked at how very tired I get. Not used to that at all, but I am relatively pain free so that's awesone!!!
 
Good! Do those exercises faithfully, but only to the point of discomfort. (Don't push into the pain, like they always tell you to do in those dumb exercise videos!! :-)) And yes, just be conscious of your posture and remind yourself to stand as straight as you can. Leaning over puts a lot of strain on the back. When I first got home, I had more back pain than I did surgical pain, because I was using the walker wrong!!
 
@MThipkid : Oh dear, I am so sorry they will not flex enough to work from home! Do you feel up to seeing clients, doing groups? Would they let you do more of whichever is least tiring, seeing clients or doing paperwork?
Confidentiality is a thing, and if that is their reasoning, they should just outright say so. We were never allowed to take charts or info home, until the advent of electronic medical records. After that we could do what we could access. Where I work now is pretty primitive as far as EMR, but they do have remote access, and I was able to do what I could that way, and then print at the office.
All of that to say :blackcloud:to them!

What you said, listen to your body! and remember to stay well hydrated, eat your fruits and veggies, and accept any and all help. I know the first time I went back to work, I figured I was considered "recovered" and therefore should not need extra help. Wrong. So very wrong!:bignono:

@kwarendorf : Golf dip, eh? I prefer to think of it as a ballet extension, lol!:egypdance: I have certainly not mastered it to the degree you have, could not change cat litter for sure, but was able reach pots and pans that were a smidge too low, and that sort of thing.
 
Well. I came home from work to find my fancy new rollator waiting for me!! I hope this does what I envisioned it would.
@dinsmaum
I think the counselors are giving my clinical manager hell for denying me the option of catching up everyone ppwk from home, which is kind of what I had hoped for, so not out yet. We do groups at night, we work 4 10 hour shifts and do psychoeducational groups and process groups in the evening. I expect that will be the last thing I do as I'm no where near able to put in the 10 (I'm salary so in reality, 12 ) hour days.
Fingers crossed, but support staff have been so very supportive! I think individual sessions would be a better use of my time while on site as that is actually billable.
@kwarendorf. And @marcsgirl
I have kind of gotten the hang of the ballerina/golfers bend :) just oh so graceful at it (giggle snort)
I have been being mindful about my posture but I'm just so sore all over from my "good" half taking the weight.
Well, onward into the light brigade.
Time for my chair nap.
 
Well it seems attempting to go back to work was a mistake. I stumbled slightly yesterday and now everything hurts again. I had no swelling post op until 2 days ago, now I have cankles.
I had about 5 days with no opiates, now I'm back to taking them.
Worst of all is the blue feeling has doubled up on me, and I'm an emotional mess with all kinds of illogical scenarios going through my head.
I know someday I will be back to life but dang it the waiting is killing me!!
I don't have a scrap of energy, and I just feel so weird, swinging between blah and tearful.
As of today, if I had the decision to go back and start over I would not have done this surgery.
Feeling like I made a huge mistake.
 
Oh, @MThipkid, my heart goes out to you. I think most of us have had a day or three of feeling low and discouraged, but it will pass.

If I recall correctly, your THR was about 2 weeks after mine. I was right about where you are now when I bent over suddenly which brought back pain I thought I'd left behind. Mind you, I didn't break my 90 degree restriction, but I'm sure it was the jerky movement that caused the pain. It was probably a week before I felt I was back to where I'd progressed earlier, but then it felt like progress started coming in bigger spurts.

Please keep posting here and venting all you want. We are all in this together and understand each other like no one who hasn't gone through this ever will. You are still in the very early stages of recovery and it will get better!
Sending hugs. :friends:
 
@Katiedid
Thank you for your kind words. I just wish I had known the extreme emotional toll this was going have BEFORE going in.
My house is a wreck, and the other people living here don't seem to mind, probably because they can leave whenever they want and are used to me doing EVERYTHING. All I can do is sit here and look at it.
It makes me feel like they don't care.
I already have so much difficulty asking for every little thing, this is hard.
 
It's so early for you still - please believe that this will get better!
This is a hugely emotional experience and one of the hardest things is the lack of independence and relying on other people. They do care - they just don't know what needs done, so you need to tell them, especially if you are trying to work as well. have a tantrum:tantrum::hissy::censored: if you want and clear the air!
 
Having that feeling of stepping backwards in recovery is such a bummer. Sorry to read you are struggling. I hope you can relax this weekend and just BE. Take care of yourself, the rest can slide for now.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
@MThipkid, so sorry for the physical setback and the emotional toll. You have it extra, ultra hard because you are forced to go back to work ridiculously early, and you are (I'm assuming) a single mom without many supports. If you do have any friends or family who can assist you, then put out the call, tell them you are in crisis and make specific requests for what they can do to help. This is a brutal, major surgery on a part of your body that makes it difficult to ambulate. It may just not be possible to do what you are attempting. I think some heart-to-heart talks with your kids are in order, as are those calls to anyone who can ease your burdens a bit. Best wishes to you in this difficult time.
 
@MThipkid: Oh, I am so sorry. It is a rough time, that is for sure! You have had some words of wisdom from the others, but I want to add that it is entirely normal to hit some pockets of depression and feeling very down after *any* surgery! It seems to go with the territory.
I am sorry, but you *do* need help!! And, you have to ask, which is so, so hard. For most of us, it is very difficult. But for most people, there are people around who are able to help and who would really like to! I have had people helping me and except for one or two, they don't have a clue what to do, lol! But they ask, or I suggest/request.
Help can come from unexpected places too. The friend who has been the most consistent and proactive, the one who just kind of knows what to do, isn't even that close of a friend! But she has been here for me like no one else. So don't hesitate to ask people! It may surprise you where help comes from!
And, it is so easy to over estimate what we can do! At 8 weeks out, I bumped into that yesterday, and was very discouraged for a minute.
Here is a truth you need to hang on to: There is going to come a time when this horrible part is behind you, and you are going to have *no doubt* it is worth it!!!! I can say that with great confidence. Once you get through this rough time, your quality of life is going to rebound and you are going to be so glad you did this!
I am sending virtual hugs your way, I so feel for you!
:console2:
 
Thank you all so much. I have spent the past 2 days completely planted in my chair. I've napped pretty much around the clock, every couple hours. I'm still not sleeping on any kind of schedule but with dedication I think I'm beginning to feel rested.
Pain and swelling have settled back down, and I feel as though I am bouncing back a little bit.
It took totally shutting down and just giving in and layyyying here for 2 full days.
I'm so grateful for all your kind and loving words it definitely is something that you just don't get until you go through it.
Back to sleep, I'm feeling drowsy again, amazing the amount of energy I'm using up just laying here with ice.
I'm quite relieved I didn't appear to do any damage with my little stumble.
Lucky
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom