THR THR 4.5 weeks ago, swelling a problem

Hi from a repeat offender in the ODIC, knee division!
What I found worked nicely when I overestimated by advancing too far too fast was to return (after rest, ice, elevation) to my previous comfortable level. Then after a few days, increase by maybe 1/3 of the "jump" I'd advanced to... and keep with really minor increases every few days.
For walking I either set a timer or used google to compute fractions of a mile before heading outside.
 
Ice has no time limit, and neither does admission to the ODIC I'm an expert on it. You did something you really shouldn't have done to get into the ODIC. Throwing a frisbee causes rotation at the hip, not recommended in early recovery. While restrictions aren't stressed much, not good for the sales presentation part of healthcare, they still exist as there is a risk no matter the approach.
 
Hi everyone, I am now seven weeks post-op. At six weeks I was able to walk without the cane, which I think was causing me to walk unevenly. So the pain was better last Friday afternoon and I was walking almost normally. Went to visit my son on Saturday and was walking fine. Sunday did not do much but rest. Then Monday some pain had returned. Back in the ODIC! Walked too much.

So I took it easy Monday and Tuesday. Still have swelling and numbness in outer thigh and below the knee. It is slightly better today and I am continuing to take it slow. I wish the swelling would get better with walking, but I need to be patient.

I just remind myself how painful the first three weeks were and the current situation does not seem bad at all.

Randy
 
Sorry to hear that swelling and numbness stays around so long! I’m only 3 weeks and still very swollen and get tired from walking too much! I’ll prepare myself and not be worried if it happens to me past a month or 2! I really wasn’t prepared for such a long recovery, but I know I’ll be glad when I can start hiking, biking and gardening again with no pain!
 
@Megalodon do you track your walking? By time or distance, whichever is more convenient, it helps prevent time out on the ODIC bench. And it lets you celebrate milestones too!
 
Still have swelling and numbness in outer thigh and below the knee. It is slightly better today and I am continuing to take it slow. I wish the swelling would get better with walking, but I need to be patient.
It takes time for the swelling to completely resolve, but it will. As you say, patience!

I was able to walk without the cane, which I think was causing me to walk unevenly.
This could also be contributing to your pain.

Be sure you are walking with a proper heel-toe stride, which involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.

Here is a visual
1639236580030.jpeg


It's important to slow your pace and concentrate through the entire step -- focus on the Quality of your steps rather than the quantity. It takes some practice to get it right, but you'll notice a difference!
 
I just saw my doctor since I have regressed since I tweaked my hip about 10 days ago while taking a step up, good leg first and felt a pain in my log leg. Was not stepping up aggressively but it still hurt. Next 10 days my hip got worse and I had a bad limp. The doctor said it was inflammation/bursitis. The x-ray showed no problem with the hardware! He prescribed prednisone for 6 days.

My question is since it is still hurting on second day of prednisone, should I continue just rest or maybe try some mild exercises ? I know my muscles were de-conditioned going into the THR, so I expect I need some strengthening exercises that are not too painful.

Am I wrong to do anything but rest, ice, and elevation before the prednisone does it’s job? I think the answer is I will rejoin the ODIC!

What do you think ?

@Megalodon
 
@Megalodon You are not alone suffering from bursitis during THR recovery. If you do a quick search using the Search button at the right end of the blue tool bar, you will find other threads discussing this condition post-THR.

Also, you might find this article helpful: Trochanteric bursitis with THR
 
Oral prednisone doesn't normally show a response in 24 hours. It takes repeated dosing for noticeable results.

I would opt to take it easy, ice, elevate, and just walk as tolerated.

If you're permitted and tolerate OTC NSAIDS like Ibuprofen or Naproxen it's completely safe to take them when taking Prednisone as they are a totally different class of medication.
 
@Megalodon agree with the others that it takes time for the prednisone to kick in. For now relax/rest, elevate and ice. Ice pretty much anytime that you aren't up and moving around, just make sure you have something between your skin and the ice/gel pack, etc.

You want to give the prednisone time to work and hopefully kick the bursitis to the curb. I have dealt with trochanteric bursitis pretty much since very early recovery. Sometimes it comes and goes, other times it just won't let go. Have had injections to help and done exercises to help but I'm much further out than you.
 
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope the pain is easing you're feeling better since you last posted.
Wishing you a good week...much better than the last. Let us know how you're doing when you have time.
@Megalodon
 
Hi everyone, I am about 9 weeks into the recovery. I was much better after the prednisone last week, but the swelling and pain started returning yesterday and is a lot worse today. I have been icing and taking it easy. I am concerned that I will need a cortisone shot this week. I am going to try ibuprofen. I never increased my activity last week so I don’t understand what triggered the increased swelling. If I knew, I would stop doing it!
 
Hi everyone, I am 10 weeks post-surgery and still have log leg. I have been very conservative with my activities and even slowed down more when the pain and swelling increase.

I feel like I should be doing some exercises, but don’t want to make things worse. This recovery is almost mysterious in how you have to balance your pain/swelling and activities. Don’t want to go back to the ODIC! My surgeon does not believe in PT, and he is probably right. But I am 72 and was not active before THR, and I think I will need to do more to strengthen my already weak muscles.

I have a recheck in three weeks and will discuss options again. Knowing when to turn up the activities is very difficult with this surgery. I hope I make the right choices, but not confident at all. Seems to be a roll of the dice to me.

@Megalodon
 
Turning up the activities is best done slowly, all at once will probably get you in the ODIC. Be easy with exercises, try one and don't do a lot of reps to start and see how it goes. The pain always comes later or the next day so be wary.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Please let us know how your appointment goes and know that we're cheering for you, Megaldon.
Still rather early into a recovery that lasts a full year for many. Hang in there!
A great rest of the week to you!
@Megalodon
 
Back
Top Bottom