Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

I haven't heard "bitter cold" in so many years..probably when I left NE. 100 ROM is great. Now you just need to snuggle back and let the arctic blast go by. It is brutal this year..I still have family in MA. (Go Pats!)
 
Today I was able to down stairs a foot at a time, though holding onto railings and easing the bend.

We have ice all over the place, and snow on top of it. Therefore I wear "ice grippers" whenever I go outside. I have people left and right telling me not to fall. Yeah, pretty determined not to!
 
Another happy day. Drove a few miles to meet a friend so my dog could have the company of her dog for a walk. We have ice all over the place. So I have to watch my footing and wear ice grippers. I've had gazillions of people telling me not to fall. I used to work in emergency services, so, trust me, I'm the last person in the world who's going to put myself in the position of having to be rescued. Anyhow, it was a nice outing, I drove my stick shift car for the first time, came home and began making Sticky Toffee Pudding, then iced a good long while.
 
Your recovery is going amazing. I can't imagine trying to drive with my leg. I'm still having difficulty being a passenger.
 
I was uncomfortable in the car for a long time! When I started driving I would hold my knee, otherwise it was still uncomfortable.
 
How great that you were able to get out and enjoy life some! Enjoy that driving. I was 7 weeks out before I had the courage to try it!
 
@Jockette Yes! I hold my knee. It's uncomfortable!! I'm still accepting rides from people but am pleased I have an option.

@Josephine Let me pose my question about my night time pain. It's an ache in the upper part of the tibia. It comes on in the middle of the night and is in the 4-5 out of 10 pain range (I take ½ oxycodone for it). I'm attaching an image of my implants (Zimmer Vanguard Biomet). Could it be from the 5" tibial stem? It's really about the only thing consistently bothering me.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Third time's the charm, I hope
    Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 9.43.21 AM.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 318
Yay for walking outside, even though it’s awkward. I’ve noticed this year (my second winter post-TKR) that I’m finally walking normally. The first winter I walked so tentatively my muscles were all tense and I ended up with odd new pains. I wasn’t sure if the pains were caused by the knee implants, the muscles, or the weather. All three most likely, but walking with stiff baby-steps and looking down all the time to ensure good footing is hardly optimal.

And kudos for driving, too!
 
My PT said today that the deep tibial bone pain is common in people with long stems and that it lasts 4-8 weeks. So that's re-assuring.
 
I think this would be a better image, Mary

[Bonesmart.org] Third time's the charm, I hope


And I agree with your PT but I would suggest that 8 weeks might be a little bit optimistic. MY thinking would be about 12-16 weeks. So you're 4 weeks out just now and could expect this to abate sometime in March.
 
Oh my, those stems looks long! :yikes:

Isn’t it amazing what our bodies can adjust to!
 
Very helpful to have this info. I had no warning - I don't think my surgeon has a great grasp of the patient's needs. But that's OK. The last two weeks of March I'll be in sunny, warm, Puerto Rico.
 
My stem pain went away after 3-4 months, gradually disappeared.
 
Well after investigating the deep tibial bone pain, I haven't had it since.

I'm at one month and life is perfect if I stick to my daily routine and make only tiny incremental increases in activity. Today we drove 45 minutes to a breakfast place because I was having a craving for breakfast out (French Toast). Plus two errands. Riding in the car is about the only time my knee hurts, so those longer drives are out for now. Good reminder that I have a long way to go yet.

Hit 110 degrees flexion. This is HUGE considering that one month after the original TKR I was at 85.
 
@maryo52, sounds like a good day overall. 45 mins for French Toast? Must be really good French Toast!

Great progress on your flexion. Small challenges to your daily activities will get you to the end.
 
Yum, yum. I bet you smiled as you ate that French toast. Sometimes we just have to grin and bear the pain to get our reward for the day! Now, you're done and can rest today.
 
Wow, you are doing well, especially in light of all your previous issues. Good for you. Long may it continue.
 
Today I went out to do a couple of errands. My small coastal community has two personalities. In the summer it's overrun with an influx that nearly doubles in population; in the winter it goes back to being intimate; everyone knows everyone. So today my errands took three times longer because of all the impromptu conversations. I walked a beach and through the woods, took photos (a passionate hobby), came home and did a couple of things in the house. That was followed by icing most of the afternoon but not exhaustion, just a pleasant tiredness. I counted out my oxycodone pills and I have all but 7 left, and those were taken as half pills. I am still pinching myself. It's been a heavenly recovery.

My orthopedist who had a meltdown just before I went into OR saying I was the most difficult patient he'd had in years (can't you tell?!) sent a letter saying he was leaving his practice to go work for Zimmer Biomet (quiz question: can you guess what my knee components are?). Anyhow, he can do what he wants. I'm the benefactor of his brilliant work.

Happy happy!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom