Knee Infection* Third time's the charm, I hope

Today I had a PT visit. I was nervous about that. My previous PT experiences were definitely along the lines of "physical torture." What I was told today is that pain was a signal to stop. I am optimistic I will not be afflicted as before with limited flexion (never more than 85). I find myself wondering a lot what the heck my first surgeon did to cause me to not be able to get beyond 85. Anyhow, that's water under the bridge, and my new reality is, well, new. Tomorrow I'll be one week post-op and am hoping to take a short walk outside. I've already been able to move about the house without assistive devices.
 
I don't think you can over think a painful condition. That was a flippant answer.
 
One week post-op and took my first day time narcotic (1/2 tab of oxycodone). So much better afterward! Took a walk outside. Still restricted to the leg immobilizer. My PT said she would double-check when I can start doing flexion types of activities. I guess I'll hear tomorrow.
 
Wow! One week out and you're already walking outside and taking your first pain med! Amazing!
 
I left the hospital with instructions to keep my leg immobilizer on for one week, to avoid stress on the wound as the surgeon had a hard time closing the incision. I am going with the immobilizer today and allowing mild bends. I notice that there is pulling on the front side of my leg when I bend, and one place in particular is where the drain was. My first go-round with TKR the limitations were deep inside the knee so this is new. I look forward to guidance from PT when she comes here today or tomorrow. She has a very gentle approach. Oh, and I slept so well last night.
 
Yay for good sleeping! Have a good visit with PT. Maintain control over your knee! You are the boss!
 
I am one week post-op and did my first heel slides. I think I got up to almost 80. The tissues across the front of my leg felt very tight, and the bends were a little uncomfortable. But what was surprising was how good I felt afterward. I don't see PT again until Tuesday. I'm to do only like 5 flexion movements a day, and hold them, and monitor the incision for drainage or opening. So far so good. Good day! Still amazed at this recovery.
 
Is your PT getting direct orders from your surgeon on what you should be doing, so that they are on the same page?
 
Absolutely. My surgeon's office coordinates all the after care. It's the way they manage patients who live afar.
 
Everything so far sounds like it's going really well. The tightness of the incision is expected, I suppose. Mine felt tight, too, and my surgeon never said he had trouble closing it. Your precautions will get it to where you can stretch the skin and other tissues later, after enough healing to keep things closed.

It's great that your surgeon coordinates the after care. Most simply hand their patients off to PT, without overseeing the therapy at all. I'm so glad you are in the hands of this thoughtful surgeon and team!
 
Yesterday I was cleared to bend. So this a.m. I had my husband inflate my exercise ball for that. I sit on the ball (at about chair seat height) and slowly roll forward (holding furniture with both hands). This way I have total control of the stretch. I can find the "sweet spot" and hang out there. So I did 5 this morning and I'm excited that my pain is minimal. I'll do another 5 later, of course slow and careful. I'm around 75-80 flexion and figure if I gain just one degree a day, I'll be 90 in two weeks easily. Which will be worthy of an all out keg party (just kidding!) because my original TKR I was stuck at 85 for four months, which didn't get resolved until after two more surgical interventions. Happy!!
 
Yay for bending! Your bend sounds really good for just starting it.
 
YAY for being able to bend! You're going to rock this recovery as we race is slo mo. BTW - I took a really small walk outside today and it was glorious. It was about 70 degrees. It was only a small walk but after PT left I went back outside and had lunch on my patio that we put in front on the house last year. It's the little victories that we have to celebrate I'm learning. :-)
 
Sounds like your doing marvelously. Good for you. Lunch outside sounds awesome. Just be careful not to do too much because your doing so well. Its nice reading positive stories.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom