Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Remember that 4 weeks is still very early days. It really sounds like you're doing pretty well.
 
I had a doctors appointment yesterday to check on this red spot. He said he was almost certain it was a bleed, torn tissue, tendon or muscle, that's still continuing to bleed, but I had to have a ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. Good news, no clot. Bad news, he said could take weeks to heal. We decided to ride up to our cabin in the mountains after doctors appointment, that made for a really long day. I'm enjoying the cool weather and elevating legs today, nice to have a change of scenery.
 
I'm glad to hear that it was not a clot. What better place to relax and heal than at your cabin. Hopefully the cool weather and change of scenery with lots of rest will help with the healing.
 
Home after mountain trip. Boy was that tiring! It's an hour and half to two hour ride, not too bad, but sure did wear me out. I sure have been exhausted this afternoon. I know that I'm expecting too much too soon, but I get really bored with resting, elevating and icing.
 
I wish I could say those days (of resting, ice & elevating) are almost over . . . I am currently on the couch doing the same so I expect you will have to keep that shiny red box of patience close by. Hope you had fun at the cabin.
 
Well it's my 5 week knee anniversary and I guess I'm progressing it's just not as noticeable now as it was the first couple of weeks. The energy drain is still there. Most of the swelling is going away, scar is looking better. After I'm up for a while the swelling starts to come back and I can feel/hear my knee when I walk. I don't have that sensation when I first get up, so I think it's related to swelling. Haven't had too many zingers lately, but occasionally my foot moves side to side on its own, weird! I walk inside house with no cane a lot, but form isn't great, so I try to use cane. Went up steps foot over foot, didn't hurt, but felt strange. I've done it the wrong way for so long, the right way feels wrong! I'm trying to work 3 days a week for half days, but I sure am tired. And most important, I drove to work today with the top down, I felt like a teenager who had just gotten their license, woo-hoo!!
 
Wow, back to work at 5 weeks, even just part time is something! Remember that you are still in early stages of recovery, and knee is still a baby. I know that I was feeling very restless after a month or more of rest, ice, elevate, and while I wanted to return to work as soon as possible, was glad my OS kept me out until 11 weeks. Even then I found it exhausting and knee definitely rebelled a little. Hope things go well for you!
 
I haven't been released to go back yet and my DH let it slip at doctors office on Friday. Needless to say, I got scolded a little. I had to explain that it's a family business and I have a sofa in my office , so I can stretch out with an ice pack every couple of hours, and I do! Last week I had trouble focusing, but today mind seemed clearer.
 
Phew, really glad to hear your work is a family business and there's a sofa with your name on it! Even so, my hat's off to you for even attempting this at just 5 weeks post-op. I think at that point I was only just beginning to wear *real* clothes, lol.

Look at you, "On the Road Again," and in a convertible to boot! Freedom!!!:cheers:
 
I'm in awe of your progress! Back to work? going up stairs foot over foot? Tooling around behind the wheel in a convertible? You're giving me all kinds of motivation!! Hope you can rest up this weekend.
 
Awww...thanks @Happydale , but I'm only good for a couple of hours then an overwhelming desire to close my eyes takes over and I have to rest. When does our energy come back?
 
Just a thought, but are you getting plenty of protein?? If you are like me, my appetite is still not "normal" so I have to really work on getting enough protein. That will definitely help your energy level.
 
@Thesoutherncook my appetite isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. Everything I eat gives me horrible indigestion. I had hoped that would get better by getting off the pain medicine but it's still an issue. I think I'm going to see if my primary care doctor will run some blood work to check thyroid and iron levels. This overwhelming tiredness has got to go! Other than that, I think I'm doing well.
 
I had that horrible indigestion with #1. A nurse friend suggested Pepto Bismal tablets. They worked but turned my tongue black! Lol! I have reflux and have found Gaviscon tablets (or liquid) to be especially helpful. One or the other might help you temporarily.

I asked OS #1 about blood loss ( thinking that might be cause for constant energy drain) and he said I had lost less than 1/4 cup of blood. I was stunned!
 
I think I'm going to see if my primary care doctor will run some blood work to check thyroid and iron levels. This overwhelming tiredness has got to go!
@jboles - Jan, you've mentioned several times that you are hoping to get rid of the tiredness as soon as possible.

While I think it's a good idea to get your thyroid dan iron levels checked, you should realise that the tiredness is a normal part of the Energy drain for TKRs and it is going to last until your knee is much more healed than it is now. Most of your body's energy is still being directed towards healing your knee and there isn't much left for anything else. On top of that, you've had to go back to work much earlier than usual, which is also taking more energy.
We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks off work and then doing a Phased return to work
 
@Celle I agree with you that it's really too soon to go back to work, but we own the business, and while you would think that would mean you could take off as much as you want, it's actually the opposite and people are depending on you to be back as quickly as possible. I do have the luxury of taking breaks and icing, but I still need to be present.
 
I do understand, Jan. We're a Mom and Pop business, too, and I was picking up my work again, part-time, by about 4 weeks, but I could do most of it at home, often sitting in bed.
 
Jan, I *think* you'll still be tired for awhile yet, especially now that you're back to working a bit. Remember, I was at about 8-9 weeks post-op when I fell asleep in a Bed, Bath and Beyond, lol! Are you sleeping well at night? Hope so!
 
I think I'm going to cut back on work and PT this week to see if it makes a difference. I made the bed, took shower, washed and dried hair. By the time I was dressed and had makeup done I was exhausted. I had my grocery list but was too tired to go. My poor husband is at grocery now. Hopefully I'll feel like putting stuff away and helping with lunch.
 
If you have to work, cut out the PT. You don't need both and you're getting plenty of exercise with your activities of daily living.

You are expecting rather a lot of yourself and your knee at this very early stage of recovery. Check your activity against this article: Activity progression for TKRs
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom