Revision TKR Third times the charm- hopefully

Also, this is a second surgery within about a year on that same knee. Take extra care and be mindful of all it’s been through. That’s double the trauma in a short time. Therapists fail to think about this. They often have a one size fits all agenda, and we are all unique with different needs.
 
@Josephine I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having to have a revision. Seems like I hear about a lot of loosening problems, I thought these things were supposed to last 15 years or more. Geez...
 
Hi Jan. I've been away for awhile, came back to check on a few friends and saw your news. I'll be sending you all my positive thoughts tomorrow. A lot of us on here will be doing the same thing and I hope you'll feel it. You have been through such an ordeal, and we hate it for you. But you have learned a lot. I know you won't let any doctor just pat you on the head and say everything is "fine". You'll set those therapists straight when they do something that hurts you. And you are an even stronger woman now than you have ever been before. You are an inspiration to all of us. I guess one good thing about tomorrow is that you know what to expect during those first two weeks. If you can, try to concentrate on each day and not look toward the future. You can and will do this day-by-day. We look forward to hearing from you on the other side. You got this, girlfriend.
 
I wish you all the best on your revision, I to have gone through a revision recently. You’ll be walking that grand baby of yours in no time! Hugs!
 
@Jolease thank you. I’ve been reading your thread and hope you continue to improve each day. You’ve been through a lot, but I guess we are all tougher than we think we are. Hang in there and I’ll see you on the other side, as they say.
 
@MSgirl so good to hear from you. I hope you are doing well. Yes with this being the third time I guess I know what to expect. That’s good and bad :gaah: Thank you so much for all your kind words, it’s means more than you will ever know. It’s weird how this group of people, that more than likely I will never meet in person, has become my friends. We’ve all shared accomplishments and our problems. And whatever problem we have someone is always there with a kind word and some advice.
Thanks to each and every fellow Bonesmartie!!
 
Best wishes for tomorrow!
 
Hey Sweet Friend,
I was just stopping by to see if anyone I knew was still active on BS and found your thread!
What a journey this has been for you! I wish you well with this next surgery. And fingers crossed and prayers going up that this is your last!
Love and hugs
 
I thought these things were supposed to last 15 years or more.
@jboles Thanks for your commiserations. In fact they do last years but sometimes these unforeseen events also happen too. No telling why, they just do. No reflection on the longevity of the implant. My loosening is the most common type - the cement bone interface which usually indicates that there has been 'bone die back'. Nobody's fault. It happens.
 
I had my tibial revision done this past Monday on 3/18/19. The OS said he didn’t have to do anything to the femoral component. I spent one night in hospital, came home late yesterday. I was so glad to be out of there. I immediately went to bed and slept for 2 hours, got up to potty, ate a little bit and went back to bed. My husband set his alarm for every 4 hours for pain medicine. I felt so much better this morning. I don’t want to jinx anything, but I believe it’s straight, keeping fingers crossed. My doctor said he was putting it on my PT orders for no pushing or pulling from the therapist, only what I could do on my own. He said the tendons and ligaments were already pulled and strained and he didn’t want them to put any pressure on them. He wanted them to heal before any type of aggressive therapy.
 
Your OS sounds wonderful and very sensible! You are blessed to have him take care of you.
 
So good to hear from you! I’m glad you’re home and are resting well! All that anxiety we all feel about the what if’s of a revision are behind you and now you can just heal.

Take extra good care of yourself, you deserve it! :console2:
 
Whew! It's behind you. Now on to healing. You know what to do. Sleep, sleep, sleep with a little walking around now and then and pain meds on schedule. Your body has waited a long time for some relief and it sounds like it will finally have it. And yoo hoo! A straight leg! Please keep us up on how you are doing. :)
 
I'm about a month and a half a head of you. Isn't everyone on here great? This is the support we need. Those that are going through the same things we are.

Be very gentle and kind to yourself - medicate, elevate and ice.
 
I have a question for anyone who has information for me. I had my tibial revision and larger spacer on Monday. Today is Thursday and my knee and thigh right above knee on the inside is swollen, red and hot. I’ve tried to read back through my thread to see if I had this before but I’m not finding anything about it. I don’t have a fever. Should I report this to my doctor?
 
It's always fine to report things like this to your surgeon, but I think it's probably a normal reaction to the surgery you just had since you do not have a fever. Do you notice any drainage from the incision? What are your pain levels? How much activity are you doing each day?

I suggest you spend most of the day with your leg elevated and ice on the areas that are swollen or that hurt. Be sure you're taking something for the pain on a regular schedule throughout the day and night. In these early days and weeks the only activity you need to be doing is to walk about a bit every hour or two. Most people accomplish this easily by making trips to the kitchen, bathroom or by taking short jaunts around the house.
 
I am either in bed or recliner with foot and leg elevated and iced for probably 20 out of 24 hours a day. Setting alarms for pain medicine, trying to make sure this is the last surgery I need. There’s little to no swelling or heat below the knee, just the knee and inside thigh area. I have on an aquacell bandage so I can’t see the incision, but the bandage only has 3 or 4 small spots on it. It feels squishy though. I can’t remember if it felt like this before or not.
 
I don't know the answer to your question but I was reading through your thread and want to wish you the BEST!! hugs to you
 
@Jamie I tried to get a picture so you could see the redness

[Bonesmart.org] Third times the charm- hopefully
 
Interesting place to have redness. Has it been there since Monday?

And I love the instructions on the bandage.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom