Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third and final surgery all done

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet your older knee is acting up because you're putting more work on it since the left is so bad. That's understandable. I bet when you get lefty fixed, the right one will get better right along with the left one.
 
@sistersinhim, I do think that it is possible that the right one is used more because of the misaligned weight-bearing on the left one. I have also thought this, that the right one went backwards due to extra stress put on it.
I guess time will tell after the next surgery to see how they both behave and heal.
 
I pray that both heal back to 100%!
 
I expected too much right off the bat with my TKR and jumped into my job and other activities which led to pain when walking or standing. A few years after my TKR I slowly began a walking regimen which has helped so much! But with your bad knee needing a revision I don’t think any walking would be good until your a few months out of the revision.
 
I don't plan to push anything too much until I have healed a good amount after this revision. Just some normal activities that don't involve any excess bending, or much standing and walking.
Thanks for your caring responses and I do covet your prayers.
I will update periodically until then, and definitely after surgery.
 
I thought of question to ask you all.
I requested general anesthesia for both TKRs. I didn't have a problem with it afterwards.
But my new surgeons PA said the vast majority do spinals , and that it is easier on the body systems and how one feels for the next whole day.
My surgeon said it doesn't matter to him. I just don't want to even start wAking up during the procedure, or be aware of what is going on. I think it would be very traumatizing.
I am also concerned about having paralyzed legs, a bad spinal headache, or a mistake happening while getting it. Maybe my fears are mostly unwarranted.
Any words of advice for me on this subject?
 
I highly recommend the spinal. None of the things you mentioned above happened to me. I woke up in the recovery room, wide away and no nausea! None of that hangover feeling that day or the next like it was with general.
 
My anesthesiologist and I agreed that general was best for me. I have lower back herniated disks and I didn’t want any needle near there!

And I woke up fine from it. I don’t even remember a waking up process, though there must have been one.
 
I had the spinal. It was my first experience with it. All my other surgeries were GA. I liked the spinal better because I never knew a thing until I woke up, clear-headed and alert, in the recovery room. Twice under GA, I've woken up to the unpleasant process of having the endotracheal tube being removed. :eeeuw: The spinal was just a better experience. I also received a nice sedative, which put me to sleep, so I never knew a thing that was happening in surgery. Just the way I like it.

All anesthesia comes with risks, of course, so you just have to pick which you'd rather go with. Both work, after all.
 
Well, I had both GA and a spinal. Recovery was much much easier after the spinal. With my TKR the anesthesiologist couldn’t get the needle into my spine because of arthritis. I felt nothing, but do remember him saying they were going for general anesthesia because he didn’t want to keep poking me. I barely remember the first 3 days after surgery.

Three-four weeks later I had emergency surgery for an infection in my knee. Because I had eaten that day a different anesthesiologist said he’d be doing a spinal. I relayed what had happened in the TKR surgery, but he assured me he’d get the spinal done and he did. I woke up in recovery making sense, conversing with nurses (it was Thanksgiving Eve and I was the only one in there) about Black Friday sales etc.

If at all possible I’ll be going with a spinal when my left knee gets done.
 
Thanks all of you for responding to my question about anesthesia.
I think I am going to try a spinal because it is widely recommended by most people.
My general anesthesia both times, gave me no problem though.
I'm just a little scared about the spinal because I will be awake when they put that needle in the spine. But I can get a little freaked out about a lot of things.
So thanks for sharing your experiences.
I have been given great advice by several of you over the past few months and definitely hear all of you and consider it, since you have had the experiences already.
 
I was sedated when they put that spinal in. I remembered nothing at all about it.
 
Same here. Don’t remember it going in. If you’re anxious about that, just mention it to your anesthesiologist when you meet before surgery. Keeping you calm and happy is something they aim to do. :)
 
Thanks for the advice, I will talk to the anesthesiologist so he is clear about my concerns.
 
Although I remember the anesthesiologist saying he couldn’t get the spinal in, I have no memory of him poking me at all. I don’t even remember being wheeled into the OR. They usually start your IV in pre-op and that gives you some sedation for the spinal or GA.
 
Hi
I just had my first TKR last Friday. I Have a history of anxiety and my docs recommended the general. They gave me a sleeping pill at about 6:45 am, and at 10:30, I was back in the room texting my husband that surgery was over. No nausea, vomiting, etc. I was a little lost in space for a while, but it was ok. I think I might go for the general again when I get my next TKR
 
Your going to be fine. Honestly, 12 weeks is a very short time.
Really ! You will get better even if you laid on your back for a year ,
never had therapy and only walk those stairs.
I’ve been thru it , many others here have too.
Your body is a miracle.Follow your instinct and listen to your body.
Pain is your body telling you to stop, so who’s right?
No pain no gain?
Well do it but don’t push it till it hurts.
You will be fine so don’t stress to much
 
Maybe you have had your surgery already, but if not, FYI: i had a spinal for my hip and my knee. They put a patch on my arm and I knew nothing until it was over.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello all, I am supposed to have my left knee revision in 10 days. That will be my third major surgery in nine months.
I am sick again and have a bad cold. I feel like this past winter I have been sick a lot, which is not normal for me.
When I was working, It seemed like I never got sick, so I know I had good resistance at least in part because of my exposure to lots of germs consistently. I have not worked since last June and that could be a small part of the problem, but my general practitioner said that these surgeries can cause low resistance also, due to the trauma and healing my body has had to go through, and still is trying to recuperate from.
I am concerned about being more susceptible to infection with my upcoming knee surgery due to this. If that is the case, I think I would delay my surgery for a few months until I feel I could get my resistance built back up.
I don't know how long it would be though and I don't know how to determine that.
Do any of you out there have any ideas regarding this subject?
I would love to get it done and over with, but I am concerned about my body's ability to fight infection currently, Even though I expect to not have a cold in 10 days.
I would appreciate any input any of you have on this.
 
I would ask your OS his opinion. I'd be concerned, too, about going through so many surgeries and your resistance being so low. I know in our area, upper respiratory infections have been awful this year. I hope you will soon get over yours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom