Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third and final surgery all done

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, as Josephine explained, a woman's area of valgus should be at the hip joint, not at the knee joint.
 
I really believe they think women are supposed to be shaped that way. I don't know where they are getting that info. Possibly due to our wider hips? And I don't even have wide hips.
 
Possibly due to our wider hips? And I don't even have wide hips.
LOL! That's not the case, kayow! It's an anatomical fact that the female pelvis is wider than the male and it's necessary in order to facilitate child birth! As you can see here

[Bonesmart.org] Third and final surgery all done


It might also interest you to know that it is this difference that enables archaeologists to identify the gender of mummified skeletons.
 
Interesting Josephine, thanks for the diagram.
 
@skigirl,
Thanks for the info. on your lymphatic massage experience.
 
Today I made another appointment for a second opinion. I will be seeing two other physicians before the end of the year for this second Opinion on my left knee misalignment. My surgeon said he wants my knee to heal a lot more and get more swelling down and then see what I am left with.

In the meantime though, just trying to gain some strength and stamina. Eight weeks today on that left knee. Bending is about 75° on my own. With help I can get to about 85. My old four-month-old right knee is still only about 95 or maybe 100 at most. I just have that swelling problem that won't stop. Also probable lymphatic issues that contribute too. It is amazing how weak one can get from two surgeries back to back like this.

I am also doctoring my back issue and left buttock pain. I still feel it is from my bad gait and misalignment but regardless, it hurts a lot and I have had too much pain to deal with in the last several months and I need a break. Chiropractic care and exercises on my own at home seem to help relieve the symptoms some, but we will see if they resolve, or keep coming back.

Sometimes I have meltdowns due to dealing with pain frequently, and then feeling angry about this misaligned leg. I dread, absolutely dread, the thought of a third surgery.

I only have five weeks to recover or my job is gone. We will see if I get strong enough and feel that I am able to handle 8 hours of work at my job, by then. If I could just get rid of the swelling in my legs I could bend it easier and I know that my standing and walking tolerance would be greatly improved. That is my biggest problem right now and always has been.
 
With help I can get to about 85
I think I've said before that a number you get 'with help' is invalid. The only one that counts is that which you do in your own strength.
It is amazing how weak one can get from two surgeries back to back like this.
They're not weak - they are injured !
I only have five weeks to recover or my job is gone.
My dear girl, I am most terribly sorry to have to tell you this but the likelihood of you recovering enough to return to work in 5 short weeks are remote.
 
I only have five weeks to recover or my job is gone
I'm not sure about now, but years ago, it was against the law to fire someone while on disability or sick leave. Check out the FELA laws. I hope you can extend your sick leave.
 
@sistersinhim, do you mean FMLA instead of FELA?
FMLA is only 12 weeks with my company, there are no extensions allowed no matter what the case. That ended Sept.
My boss really likes me, and is keeping my job open for me to return to in some capacity if it is by Dec. 18 when my short term disability ends. My HR person said I have to voluntarily resign then.
If I was to get better by spring or summer, and my old company could use another therapist and was willing to hire, I could apply and see. I likely would be rehired due to my past.
@Josephine, when I spoke of weakness, I was referring to my body in general from being so inactive and becoming de conditioned.
 
when I spoke of weakness, I was referring to my body in general from being so inactive and becoming de conditioned.
It's not from being inactive or deconditioned. It's the energy drain, of which you have a double whammy, thanks to having two knee replacements within a short time - and the only cure for it is time.
Read this article again:
Energy drain for TKRs
 
@sistersinhim, do you mean FMLA instead of FELA?
Your are so right. FELA is for federal employees, not civilians. But, in my research, it looks like you can't be fired while out sick. When you went back to work, they'd have to had some kind of job for you. Of course, after the FMLA runs out you'd not be paid. Can you apply for long term disability? Since your boss really likes you, would he let you come back in December for a few weeks of half days only while your knee and body gets stronger?
 
@Celle , that makes total sense about energy drain and just over all post surgical fatigue. I do feel now though that my stamina and conditioning is increasing. I can do a little more for a longer period of time without feeling wiped out. I guess that is the normal progression of things like this too. Thanks for the reminder.
As I mentioned just recently, my biggest problem is leg swelling and knee swelling which causes my legs and knees to hurt shortly after standing or walking, approximately only 15 minutes and they are ready to have me lay down and elevate my legs to decrease strong aching.
I am in the process of looking at custom compression stockings to help with decreasing this swelling and maybe make me more functional and tolerable to standing and walking. I already wear compression stockings but they are ready made and have a different knit pattern that isn't quite as effective at compressing and holding for hours.

@sistersinhim, I was told by my HR person at work that at the end of short term disability which is six months, or 180 days, that I would need to voluntarily resign. I can look into this further though, to make sure that is correct.
My FMLA ran out at 12 weeks on September 11, and I have been on short-term disability all this time from June 19 and until December 18. I am being paid 60% of my wage. Just recently, I have applied for long-term disability through my work, and will see where that goes. It is only effective as long as I I am unable to do my job. Of coarse this determination will be made by them. The insurance company for long-term disability has been a thorn to deal with.
I have not asked my supervisor yet if I could try two or three weeks of half days. At this point right now, I still couldn't handle that, but maybe in four weeks I could possibly. Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. It helps me process through all of this better.
 
You are certainly welcome! I hope you can get this worked out the best way for you. I was blessed to have worked for a wonderful company that didn't fight what my doctors said and put me on long-term after the short-term db ran out. Being as your last surgery was in September, maybe they can count your short-term from that date instead of your June date. Your situation is not a normal short term disability at all! Even if you don't get it, you can refuse to resign.
 
@sistersinhim, I just realized yesterday that even if my supervisor allowed me to do a phased return to work, I would have to start at the beginning of December and put in 5, 5 hour days. I don't think I can do that yet.
I won't have health insurance after December 17 unless I buy cobra and pay for it all myself if I am not back to work at least part-time. Part Time at my company is at least 24 hours per week. Standing and walking tolerance is still low and slow.
I could always ask my HR person again about my situation, but I honestly think that the answer will be the same. I can ask my supervisor too.
I feel I just need another month or so maybe two, to get well enough to return. I think they feel they have rules to follow.
I am the first one in the company in 26 years to apply for long-term disability after using all the short term. So a precedence needs to be set by them. Despite my good work record, I feel that they won't see my situation differently.
How is my situation different than possibly someone else's? If I refuse to resign, I'm not quite sure where that leaves me.
I don't even know where to go to get any counsel on any of this.
It isn't the end of the world if I don't get back because I was going to retire probably within one year anyway. But the health insurance is the big deal and I wanted to delay that a bit, until I could get closer to Medicare age.
 
You have quite a dilemma there. I still say it's worth going after the long-term DB. Can you ask your OS to recommend you more time off? That would help a whole lot.
 
I already have applied for long term disability through my work, just in the past 2 weeks in fact. I am still in process of the insurance company getting the info. So they can make their decision.
My surgeon is very much in agreement with me, in my inability to return to work anytime soon. I know he will support me. I told him what my job entails, and he understands my current limitations.
 
I already have applied for long term disability through my work
Great that you have got the ball rolling already. Now, you are that much ahead of the game! I don't see how your company can go against your OS's recommendation. It sounds like you should be getting it!
 
I get my second opinion on my crooked knee tomorrow. Getting prepared to speak words of wisdom if this surgeon says that he doesn't think it's too bad.
Yes, my surgeon understands my situation and supports me, but I don't think that will matter with my company. They only offer short-term disability, without me paying for it , it is just a benefit, for 180 days and that time runs out Mid December. I will ask them though about any exceptions or anyway to get around this having to resign business, if I qualify to get long-term disability from my company.
I will talk to my company supervisor and HR person either the end of this week or next week. Will keep you posted and thanks for your help and ideas.
 
@Jamie, @Josephine , and any one else that is interested.
Today I saw a revision specialist for my left misaligned knee. Thanks for the name Jamie. He has done many with success he said. Mine doesn't seem too complicated and mostly involves the femur. He did full pelvic/hip to foot x-rays, and determined I have 10 degrees of Valgus, just like you said Josephine.
He said he wasn't concerned about my hip, but was about the knee ligaments that are stressed now, and my foot pain and excessive pronation.
I am only 9 weeks out, and he recommended I wait at least 4 months post-op to redo. He said the tissues need to heal more before they get traumatized again, so as not to take a chance on injuring them so much that they die and become necrotic and cause infection. No one has told me this before. Does this sound right, anyone?
Are there other reasons that any of you know about? Why do some surgeons say to wait up to a year?
 
What the revision specialist said makes sense to me.

As I understand it, the reason why some surgeons will not do a revision surgery until a year has passed is because they don't want to be seen to be "poaching" another surgeon's patients. It's a sort of medical etiquette thing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom