TKR Thesoutherncook's Second Time Around!

Love the pics! Rest up cause the next adventure is just around the corner or in your case I guess it's just around the mountain!
 
I've hit a wall.....have somehow injured my non TKR upper leg / thigh and cannot even lift my foot/ leg to put on socks or pants! We have house guests Thurs- Sun this week and I sent them off with DH today while I rest up
( AFTER cooking them a huge breakfast! ) I've iced to no avail, so now have heat on it.....ugh! And yeowwww!
New TKR is now in charge! And I am exhausted! ODIC here I come!! :old:
 
Oh no! That is not what you wanted for today! Rest up, take some drugs and a nap! Ice, heat whatever works!
I'm so sorry you are not able to go out and enjoy with your company!
 
And no idea what might've done it, Helen? Take it easy and if it's still the same Monday calling the doc may be in order.
 
Feeling better after a day of rest. I truly think I over did it on stairs. The past 3 weeks caught up with me - in a big way. Company left at 5 am today and there is a week before the next group. I promise to take it easy!!
Guess this all goes to prove that it is NOT over until its OVER!
 
oh my goodness Thesoutherncook!! on monday's post you did mention you felt like you pulled a groin muscle in your first tkr (2015) leg after all the stair climbing. that, the driving, then preparing for and hosting houseguests ~ it takes a toll on us. we have to learn to say "no" sometimes if possible, although i know it's hard if commitments have been made and tickets bought. i do find that my non operated leg actually gets more tired on the stairs than my tkr leg, i guess from all the compensating it has done over the years and post surgery. hope you recover quickly from this latest mishap.:flwrysmile:
 
I'm glad your leg is feeling better today.

Try to have a quiet week, before the next group of guests arrives.
 
@Thesoutherncook, I've been catching up with your thread, and I'm sorry that you hurt your other leg, while also entertaining house guests! You poor thing! I think sometimes our other legs are forced to carry the load for our TKR legs, and then we hurt them more. I know I've experienced a lot of pain on the other side lately. I think it has happened to a lot of us. But more house guests! I will be entertaining my cousins from England a week from Tuesday, so I feel you. Try to remember to let your visitors know you're unable to do things like you did before. I think it's difficult for people who've not gone through this to understand how debilitating it is. I never thought for a minute I would still be in this much pain 14 weeks out! Take care, and heal well!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think it's worth repeating that people who haven't had this surgery are usually expecting you to be done with the pain and limitations by about 6-8 weeks, which is what they are used to with other surgeries. At about 4 weeks out, I remember chafing at the bit to get back to work after my hysterectomy, but my doctor insisted on a full 8 weeks because of endometriosis complications. I compromised by working on my laptop at home 4-6 hours a day. There's no way I could have done that 4 weeks after this surgery.

@Thesoutherncook, you strike me as a very hospitable lady. I bet your houseguests are used to primo, southern-hospitality treatment! After this setback with your thigh, I suggest gently that you let the next houseful know up front when they arrive that you are still healing. Then try your darnedest to accept solicitousness and help from them when they offer. I would feel terrible if, as a houseguest, I somehow found out that you were hobbled for several days after my visit. If nothing else, try to cut back on those trips up and down the stairs! Your guests would rather have your presence than a super-clean house, fancy soaps in the bathroom, or cooking that took you two days with too much standing!

@rubyyarn, I remember that at about 10 weeks out, we had a 4th of July get-together for our two adult daughters, our granddaughter, and their significant others. Man, just dragging out the paper plates and plastic utensils from their storage spots was an effort! I did about half what I am used to, and I was wiped out by the time the guests arrived! Then they sat in all the chairs that were comfortable for me at that point, and I was too much a "mom" to ask someone to switch with me. I perched on a high stool in the kitchen and paid for it dearly that night.
 
So sorry to hear you pulled a Hostess ODI moment. Hosting and attending to the feeding of guests can be a tremendous lot of work. I wasn't up to fully hosting the Big Italian Family until three months out and even then I was exhausted and sore. It gets better, but... your new knee needs extra babying in this intervening week. Why push it now when you know you're going to push it hard with guests soon? ADL are not for wimps!
 
I agree about letting your guests know you are still healing and need to take things easy. I also agree that if I was a guest and found out later my hostess had really overdone it while I visited I would feel so bad.

My brother in law and sister in law visited us for a weekend when I was 12 weeks post up. Usually we go out to eat but I told them I still would not be comfortable sitting in a restaurant so we ate in all weekend. One night I put a frozen pizza in the oven and we had salad with it, the other night I made up a frozen skillet meal. We had a ball together and they didn’t care what we ate.

And to be honest, while neither of them have had knee replacement they were extremely understanding about what I was going through (way more than friends and acquaintances who have had tkr) and when I compared Bonesmart’s gentle approach to recovery to what is usually offered they agreed it was much more sensible!
 
You gals are ALL on target! Wow! You know me so well! :curtsey:
Thank you for the reminders that this recovery is NOT over even though my head thinks it should be! This week is fairly quiet and I am resting and icing more than I had been. Since I was not formally discharged from PT, I am going back tomorrow to see if he can help me at all. The next house guests are my first cousin and her husband. I can sit and let them fend for themselves! Nah, I won't actually do that, but I will not feel as obligated to “entertain” them as I did my DH's sister and husband. @Polkadot my cleaning lady is already scheduled for the day before they arrive!
This recovery is never a straight line. If only we could chart it, we would probably be surprised at how it winds and weaves!
Thanks friends for the support. :roseshwr:
 
@Thesoutherncook, you've got a great plan worked out for your cousin's visit. I think people generally understand that after surgery you can't quite do all would normally do for them. About two and a half weeks after my TKR, our closest friends from our college days were in town for a wedding and asked if they could stay with us. When my husband told them I had had knee surgery, they didn't want to come, but we insisted. I was shocked (and a little embarrassed) when they arrived with their own towels, pillows and sleeping bags so that we wouldn't have to do laundry. They took me out for breakfast (they ate dinner the night before at the wedding) and got the waitress to let us leave by a door closer to the parking lot. That's what friends are for (and relatives too!). Have fun with your cousins!
 
(((Helen))) Why am I not surprised you landed in the ODIC? Aaarrggh! I'm so glad you are feeling better this morning, but please, take those "Go-Go Boots," off and just rest this week, ok?
 
How is the leg feeling, Helen? Once you hit the 3 month mark I can be hard to find an activity balance because it feels like you should be better and able to do everything you want.
 
@KarriB The leg is some better. I definitely think I have a groin pull...not severe, but aggravating. I suspect the many stairs and getting up and down from low chairs and lots of walking and standing over the past 3 wk ends caused it ....plus, probably a quick pivot on the non TKR leg..... I'll go to PT this afternoon and discuss with them. I do NOT plan to do anything else..no exercises! I rode my recumbent bike for a few minutes yesterday and it felt fine - until I got off and tried to walk! I'm trying to take it easy...but you know that is not my strong suite!
Thanks for checking in!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom