Knee Infection* The Story of My Knees Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello everyone. Thanks for all of the care and concern. I am definitelty feeling better! I was in the hospital dealing with MRSA again and they took out parts of my knee and washed and scrubbed and did numerous tests to make sure that zyvoxx would kill all of the bad beasties! I had a revision done last Tuesday, and am trying to recover from the revision and inital surgery. Thanks again for checking in on me :D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja....welcome home!!!!!!

What a hard pill to swallow! MRSA and having to have a revision. You must be doing better, because you are back with us. YOu have been on my mind and in my prayers.:thmb:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja.....I'm so sorry you are going through this, but you ARE strong!!! I know you'll get to where you want to be. Do keep a very close eye on this revision for absolutely ANY sign of a problem. This revision was done by someone other than your original surgeon and in a different hospital, wasn't it?
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Gina, I am so sorry you have had to go through this again. What a nightmare! Was it your first or second knee that had to be removed? Hang in there. We are all thinking about you.
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonya, I also am sorry to hear about the infection. It does not seem fair that you had to go through so much this time. I have a friend here who also got an infection--he was very depressed in the beginning of his rehab--after the revision.

But, I saw him a month later and he was beaming. Apparently, the rehab went much faster than the original tkr. I wish you wellness and happiness--and an end to the MRSA problem. Kelly
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Jamie, I had a lengthy discussion with my doctor and decided to let him go ahead with the revision. I trust him and I know that he is up to date on all of the latest procedures. He is young, and he keeps up to date on everything related to knee replacements and revisions. :D
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

I'm glad you are comfortable with your decision. Just do keep a careful watch on things. You'll get through this setback and be on your way again!!! (((HUGS))))
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thanks Jamie! Believe me I am watching the knee "like a hawk!":skeptical: The MRSA was in my 2nd knee and so the good thing is I had barely started rehab, so I am not having to start over.:D One of my wonderful friends is having her knee replaced on July 12th by my doctor. She saw me in the hospital after the knee revision surgery when they had me out walking. My back was to her when she came in and I was having trouble walking so I was groaning. All of the sudden I heard "Hi Sonja!" and I thought "oh :hate-shocked:!" I guess it is good for her to see that not everything is roses though. :wink1: Now if she had seen me giving the PT a piece of my mind about the way the PT treated me, that would have been different! :hysterical:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja....you have such a wonderful attitude toward all this. I just know you are going to do fine. At least with one good knee going for you, you know it IS possible to have a successful surgery. That's huge progress from all your worries initially.

Hang in there and this will pass....we're here for you!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello Everyone! :snk: I have been having knots in the back of my calf and these knots are causing so much pain that I can't sleep. I get a lightning shock, and then the leg is drawn up towards me (involuntary):th_hate-shocked:. This happens over and over through the night.

Ok, now I'm sure you're wondering if I have lost my mind:th_scratch: starting with a smiley face..... well this is the reason; the Home health nurse thought it might be a blood clot so she called my OS and he had a doppler run. NO BLOOD CLOTS!:th_yahoo: Now you see why I am smiling through my pain? Now if I could only find a remedy for the lightning shocks so I can sleep!:wink:

Sonja
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well, Sonja.....this is certainly testing that wonderful positive attitude you always have, but .... dang, you ARE hanging in there! God bless you and I hope this painful phase passes soon. Did the OS have any idea about how to deal with this pain???? It sort of sounds like muscle spasms, but very strange. You might try drinking a glass of tonic water right before bedtime. Sometimes the quinine in tonic can help with muscles.

Please let us know how you are. I'm praying for you!!!
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonya,

Most people who have an infection in the knee have to spend three months with one of those cement spacers in their knee. I notice that you did not---have they changed the protocol on this? Or, since you had a MRSA infection, is there a different type of treatment? I am sure you are happy that you did not have to spend three months with one of those things in your leg---I was happy to hear that they did the revision right away. Kelly
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Hello everyone. Yes, they are trying a new protocol that has a 90% chance of success in my case. I am going to be on the high powered Zyvoxx for 6 weeks. Luckily my insurance will pay for it. It comes in IV and pill form so I was able to leave the hospital. 6 weeks of meds runs 7,500 so it is nice that my insurance paid for it:biggrin:!

I will be heading back to the ER tonight as soon as my Mom gets back from working at the hospital. My knee opened up and started draining this evening, but I am feeling much better, so I am hoping this is just "junk" clearing out that needed to! :wink1:

If you don't see me posting for a few days never fear... I will return to update as soon as I am back within computer range!:biggrin:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja...keep the positive attitude. Know that at this point in the evolution of the MRSA, there are very few resistant to the zyvox. THAT is good news. Hope this find you with a glued leg...not draining or gushing. :thmb:
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Well it is hard to keep me down for long!:th_yahoo: My leg is clearing out all of the extra serous fluid and "gunk" right now. I was worried (gosh I wonder why :th_heehee:) that is might be infected. They put in sutures when they did the revision to make sure that it heals from the inside out and my body tends to heal at a very fast pace. The places that were gushing are getting ready to close so they "don't want no bad beasties" left behind! :rolf:

Sonja
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Sonja..you crack me up.

We microbiologists call the bacteria..."BUGS". My mantra is that I stamp out disease and save lives. Glad it was a false alarm
 
Re: The Story of My Knees

Thanks Barb for saying that I crack you up!:snk: Your job is literally saving my life so I am truly honored to know you!:wink: I don't think we get to hear thanks enough in the professions we are in, but if it weren't for all of the microbiologists, MRSA would have taken my life 3 years ago. I struggle against it on a daily basis; I took for granted what good health was all about. Now I have to tell my friend that is having surgery that I can't put her at risk visiting her. Yes, I have always thought of MRSA as a BAD BEASTIE because it has robbed me of so much. People think it is so easy to get rid of but I am living proof after 7 rounds nothing is further from the truth. When they come up with a cure I will be first in line. If you happen to hear of something let me know.
I will travel anywhere to get rid of this bug that is slowly taking my life from me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom