TKR The right knee this time

That's great news about your blood sugar and sleep! Small milestones :SUNsmile:

It's not unusual for the swelling to be uneven in the early stages of recovery - it will be interesting to see if it abates at all with the decreased overall inflammation - In the absence of marked warmth, increased localized pain, or a loss of function I wouldn't be worried but definitely check in with your PT about it.
 
Well, the good sleep seems to have been a onetime event. I’m back to sleeping only 2 hours at a time. The pain is under control, but the stiffness of keeping my leg in one position seems to be what is waking me now. Occasionally I will feel something like a ripple, twitch or mini spasm in the operated leg, which I think is the nerves, muscles, etc trying to “wake up” fully, to allow me to stretch and move the leg better. It’s coming along slowly.

Getting a different pain medication prescribed was very important to how I felt and could manage pain. I would avoid taking the oxycodone due to the severe side effects, then I’d be really uncomfortable. Now I’m taking 50 mg of Tramadol, usually twice per day, which reduces the pain and the side effects are much milder. That and Acetaminophen/Paracetamol with a healthy dose of ice, rest and elevation, and the pain is just a background player.

The PT looked at the bump on my knee, took some photos and referred it to the medical team. Unfortunately my surgeon is on vacation this week. There is a physician assistant who he works with, but he is fairly slow to respond. The bump isn’t hot, itchy or red, so I’m not super worried about it. It’s just interesting that the rest of my knee is basically not swollen at all, except for that big blob…I will update later on once they figure it out. The PT did suggest it might just be fluid which they could drain, but would be likely to come back.

I will have a week break in between home based PT and outpatient PT. The PT himself said that could be good, since often the outpatient PTs are more aggressive. He encouraged me to say no to anything too strenuous and told me that there are studies that show less aggressive methods are best, but that some PTs are set in their ways. Hearing that from him, as well as here in articles on Bonesmart, gives me more confidence to be assertive about my needs when I begin outpatient PT. What a treasure this home PT guy is!

Friday I get the staples out, hurrah! I have around 30 of them this time.
 
A good update - and I'm delighted your home PT has already empowered you to not allow outpatient PTs to manipulate your knee or cause pain - we will continue to support you in this!

Have you tried any of the remedies we suggested for sleep the other day?
 
Hello and thank you,
Yes, many of the good sleep hygiene practices I already do, including taking a magnesium supplement. My bedroom is dark, cool, and comfortable. Typically I read a hard copy book or knit before turning off the lamp to sleep, and my phone is on do not disturb. A few of the ideas were non-starters for me: milk before bed doesn’t appeal, and because of some other health conditions and medications I take, neither the antihistamine nor melatonin are options. I do typically have milk with dinner several hours prior to bedtime.

I have started to drink a tisane by Numi, called Sweet Slumber, which contains Valerian root. I don’t drink it right before bed since I’m trying to taper down on drinking liquids before sleeping to reduce the urgent need to urinate that sometimes wakes me up. I haven’t noticed any huge increase in drowsiness. Of course I am taking Tramadol which is much stronger and drowsy making, so it could just be drowning out the reaction?

I think part of the issue may be that prior to surgery I spent much more time outdoors, including walking my dog, morning, noon and evening. This coming week I want to try and get more natural light, which I think will help my body realize it’s night time and it is time to sleep. I can walk or sit out in the garden and get some fresh air and sun or at least sun filtered through clouds. I am getting a good amount of sleep overall, just in 2 hour blocks. I think I also need to let go of the expectations that currently I will be able to sleep for 6 or 8 hours at one shot. That will come eventually.

Sweet dreams to all
 
Staples are now out! Relatively pain free process. Iced and took a long nap afterwards.
IMG_1678.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yay for no staples!
And yes, getting out into fresh air is a wonderful tonic for mind and body.
 
Update on the hard bump: the OS thinks this is likely a hematoma that will resolve over time, so good news there.
 
Your knee looks wonderful for less than a month out!
 
Hi,
Yes the home health worker told me I’m healing well. :)

Today was the type of day I remember well from my first TKR:

Physically feeling well, showering, appetite back, sleeping a bit better, more comfortable, able to manage walking more and lifting my leg more independently. All good!

Mentally, emotionally weary and impatient, feeling “cabin fever”, want to and sometimes try to do things beyond me, then feel exhausted and discouraged. I know this is temporary and I know I haven’t yet had a truly weepy day. This too shall pass, but it’s not so pleasant at the moment.

I have read some people’s posts here who are really facing difficult challenges (infection, revision, lack of support, tortuous PT, etc. ) not to mention the many people suffering far worse under other circumstances, and I truly am grateful that my list of complaints are really minor. I don’t want to dwell on some minor unpleasantness, and yet is fantastic to have a place to vent or just affirm with others who have been through it or are going through it, the simple fact: This is hard. Not impossible, not beyond endurance, but hard. We each have our own challenges to face on this road.

Glad to be here.
 
We're glad to have you! Thanks for sharing your journey here. You have a wonderful attitude and a grateful heart.
It's refreshing.
Happy Sunday! I hope you have a peaceful week! :)
@NimbleKnee
 
Mixed bag today: Somehow in the middle of recovering from surgery, I picked up an ear infection?!? Started antibiotics for it. Also have very red, itchy palms and other body parts, which the dr thinks might be a reaction to the pain meds, so I’m off them for now. Fortunately my pain level is pretty low.
On the bright side: my stamina and comfort in walking around using my walker is good, spent some nice time in the garden, and my home PT coached me in doing some slow step-ups and downs on the lowest step of the stairs. Not quite ready to go all the way up/down a full flight, but I can comfortably (slow and easy does it) step up forward and step down backward 10 times without pain. I iced afterwards. Yay!
I’m looking forward to a visit from a friend tomorrow afternoon. She lives about 30 minutes away, but has been a wonderful support person, sending me sweet and funny texts, as well as chatting on the phone when I’m feeling up to that. Emotional support is so important in this healing journey.

Hope all here are continuing to make progress, even if it sometimes feels it’s at a snail’s pace.
:loveshwr:
 
Sorry about the ear infection. I'm sure it will quickly clear with the antibiotics.

Increased stamina is a wonderful improvement, who doesn't like feeling more energetic.
I hope you enjoy your visit tomorrow with your thoughtful, loving friend. I am sure you will have a great time.
Thanks for the update and best wishes for a happy Tuesday!
@NimbleKnee
 
Emotional support is so important in this healing journey.
This is so very true. That's one reason I think Bonesmart has been so good for so many people. I recovered alone mostly, and Bonesmart for here for me any time of day or night. A lot of those times were that I needed a shoulder to cry on. That's why I joined the staff and am still here--to help others when they need it!
 
3 weeks today since surgery. I’m making steady progress and do realize it’s early days.

Now I’m able to slowly go up and down a flight of 15 stairs, take short outdoor walks, lift my operated leg. Pain is much reduced, though definitely makes its presence felt at times but no longer do I need any opiate-based pain medication. Still have an erratic sleeping schedule and low energy. My last in home PT session was yesterday. Still doing my mild exercises (seated march, ankle rotations, seated foot slides, etc.) No pain with any of those movements. The first outpatient PT session is in a week’s time.

My spirits are pretty good, sometimes things are a bit emotionally bumpy when I want to do something but my body just isn’t ready. Can take a shower on my own and can help out a bit with things around the house (take out items from fridge for dinner NOT cook an entire meal, pick up items NOT vacuum, along those lines). I will get there eventually. Getting in and out of the car is still challenging, but is getting better.

I know there is a lot of healing and retraining my muscles ahead, but I really feel the worst is over and it’s just a slow gradual climb back to being more mobile and able to do the things I want. I would love to be able to bend my knee more, but that will come in time.

My hope is that all of us here on the Bonesmart forum are seeing progress and getting closer to our ultimate goal of reduced pain and better mobility.
 
:yes!:
I am knocked out at the mobility and household milestones you're achieving at 3 weeks!

Yes, you will have ups and downs, but what a great start.
 
4 weeks since surgery

Definite progress, but the usual mixed bag so early in the recovery journey.

Still not sleeping consistently more than 3-4 hours at a clip. I thought I had turned the corner a few days ago with a 7 hour sleep (heavenly) but went back to the usual the next couple of nights.

Stamina is unreliable. One day I feel energetic and able to walk my dog 5 blocks out and back, another day I feel so weary and exhausted it’s a major effort to take a shower. To be expected, but still frustrating. I keep reminding myself things will get better.

A pleasant surprise is that I am pretty much pain free unless I turn my leg in a certain way which I’ve learned to avoid. Of course leg is still stiff and I can’t bend my knee all that well, but now at least I can bend enough to get my underwear, socks and trousers on as well as comfortably sit at a table to eat a meal.

I’ve been doing stretching and walking at home. Outpatient PT in the clinic starts on Monday. I’m trying to look forward to it, rather than dread it…so fingers crossed. I know that I can say no if they push me too hard.

Had a teary day or two, mostly related to my frustration with the fatigue and boredom of my not being able to do as much as I’d like. This too shall pass.

I hope all on this journey are faring well and keeping in good spirits, no matter the bumps in the road.
 
Outpatient PT in the clinic starts on Monday. I’m trying to look forward to it, rather than dread it…so fingers crossed. I know that I can say no if they push me too hard.

Had a teary day or two, mostly related to my frustration with the fatigue and boredom of my not being able to do as much as I’d like. This too shall pass.
Glad to read you have the confidence to say, NO, if need be.
Sorry you had a teary day, seems those days do crop up on occasion early on. We want to get on with life, but our healing body isn't allowing it....just yet anyway. :wink: I hope you have a lovely weekend!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, NimbleKnee!
I hope you enjoyed the weekend.
Wishing you a great week and a month of progress as we flip the calendar to May in a couple days.
Take good care of yourself! :flwrysmile:
@NimbleKnee
 
@NimbleKnee

frustration with the fatigue and boredom of my not being able to do as much as I’d like. This too shall pass.

I got very frustrated with mostly the boredom of it all. The solution was very simple: spend part of my day not in my recovery room, which is where I sort of live these days. I toss my lounge dr down the stairs and sit for part of the time in the living room. I toss it back up stairs, when I have to return. I schedule knitting time to coincide with a radio program I like to listen to.

I've actually got to the point where I want to clean the toilets.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom