Guest viewing is limited

PKR the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @cinrey . I was an unhappy camper weeks 6-10, then everything slowly started getting better. I assumed by 6 weeks I'd be practically back to normal, but noooo. I phased off my cane gradually starting at six weeks. Total or partial, knee replacement recovery is a long process. Hang in there!
 
Ortho follow up today,I was honest in that Im still hurting,cant walk far w/o pain-he is very empathetic ,understands,so "nazi" p.a. chimes in "you know,10 days after this type of surgery,you should be good to go "!-Yeah right!!
 
My PKR update post-op 9 weeks;rom= excellent,strength=good,however my problem is pain when active ie;if i go to grocery store,walk a couple departments,i have to sit.I dont have resting pain,eg if i sit and dont move the rest of my life,im good!The ortho says-exercise ,the nazi-p.a. says-your knee looks good,you should be painfree 10 days after!!They stopped any medications("motrin")so now im thinking they dont believe me when i say i cant progress with this knee pain,maybe they think im injecting those pills,or selling them you know you hear the stories.My depression is ten-fold now,how can i be active when i cant tolerate weight bearing??!Thx for letting me vent
 
Hi Cindy, @cinrey
I'm sorry you're still in pain. How much exercise are you doing? You really only need to do heel slides and just normal walking around.
Heel slides and how to do them
Whatever exercise you do, make sure it is gentle.

Are you taking any pain medications at all? Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is quite a good one, if you take it regularly - 100mg (1G) 4 times a day. Never exceed 4,000 mg in 24 hours.

I think part of your problem is that you expected a quick recovery because you had a PKR, not a TKR. In spite of what many people are told, it seems to take just as long for most people to recover from a PKR. Certainly, I found my PKR was the hardest recovery of all three of my knee replacements.

It is only 9 weeks since your surgery and, although that probably seems like an eternity to you, it is really only very early in this recovery. It can take a full year before recovery is complete, although you will feel much better long before that. In terms of a race, recovery from a knee replacement is a marathon, not a sprint.

As for that nazi-p.a. -- just how many knee replacements has he/she had? Ignorant and unhelpful! A mine of misinformation, and completely wrong. Don't listen.

Hang in there, because I think that time and patience are going to solve a lot of your problems. Don't let other people's expectations bring you down. Your knee will heal according to its own schedule. It's been wounded and it needs time to recover.

PS: I know you told us it's 9 weeks since your surgery, but it will be much easier for us to follow your progress if you can add your surgery and its date ( L or R PKR, ?? December 2014) into your Signature. Here's how to do it:
How to create a signature
Thank you!
 
Thanks Celle,I added my hx,thx.I guess Im impatient and while my OS is great,the "nazi" p.a. hasnt had this done and perhaps has become jaded since they have done hundreds of replacements.I take an anti inflammatory and tramadol(does Zip)I might just go to the urgent care for something stronger,I feel sooo old,esp. sit to stand ,or bending over,my whole back cracks.Do you think I should see a Rheumatologist?Perhaps they can run an RF panel.I know I have osteoarthritis,but maybe its more :sad:
 
@cinrey ... how are you doing these days? I hope things are better for you. This recovery can take a while despite what your PA thinks!!! Don't feel at all bad about needing to stay on a schedule of pain medication for a while. It is fine to use 1000mg of Tylenol taken at least 4 hours apart and no more than 4000mg per 24 hours (be sure and count any other sources of acetaminophen like cold and flu meds, sinus medications, sleep aids, etc. in that total).
 
Hi-my knee seems to be doing better,the latest is feeings of achiness -mostly my legs,now my neck lately too.The OS recommended seeing a rheumatologist(appt tom)for possible RA or fibromyaglia-we'll see >Ill keep you posted:yawn:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom