Guest viewing is limited

PKR the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true guys, until someone has walked in our shoes...
 
Wow Celle-thats a heck of alot of surgeries!I pray thats not my future!Thx for the kind words

Don't worry about the future. Just think how much your life is going to improve once your new knee is healed.
I had 11 great years with my PKR, did everything I wanted and traveled a lot. I've never regretted having the PKR and it only failed due to a fluke.

I think the problem is that this surgery is so common and everyone seems to know someone who had out and was quite better in 6 weeks! But only if you've had it yourself or had someone really close to you have it, do you really find out what it entails.

It's almost 12 weeks now since my left TKR. People looking at me would think I am completely recovered, as I walk well, drive myself, go out socially, and do almost all the household tasks. However, they don't know that my knee still aches and swells if I overdo and still doesn't bend as far as I would like (but is improving); I still have to pace myself, or else I completely run out of energy by the evening, and I am only just getting back into an almost-normal sleeping pattern. I'm well on the way, but I am far from completely recovered.
 
Last night was a rough one-1 week post-op,I had so much pain-the tear shedding type.My hubby had a very frank discussion with me-"Cindy ,I know you want to hurry this up,however you are doing too damn much!"You see I am a mover,I dont like playing the "sick in bed type".I know I have to slow down,its so hard-I want Christmas shop,decorate,etc-the fact that I cant do these things is frustrating!!!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@cinrey I think we're all facing the same dilemma but you know that your husband is spot on. You aren't playing the sick in bed type , what you are doing is giving your body a chance to recover from major surgery and really you don't have much of a choice. I feel exactly the same but I'm laying about doing not much and it's frustrating and difficult but I really do believe it is working. I'm still having night pain but I think it's improving and my knee is so much stronger and is less swollen. I'm missing out on the Christmas shopping etc but I'm planning a great holiday on the late spring! :loveshwr:
Hope you begin to feel a bit easier with all this.
Best wishes from the UK.
 
@cinrey
You aren't playing the "sick in bed" game. You are actively working on your recovery by doing what your knee needs most - lots of rest.

As your husband said, your knee has been cut, sawed, cemented, has had big bits of metal hammered into it and then has been stitched back together again. If you could see all of that on the outside, you'd feel very sorry for it!

Three years ago, when I had my revision, I went through the same feelings about not being able to do anything about Christmas. I just had to accept that Christmas would be different that year. Hubby bought a small, artificial tree and decorated that and he strung Christmas lights.
I knew I would not be able to go out and buy presents, so I ordered (on line) a bouquet of flowers for everyone. They were all surprised and pleased.
 
"laying around" a bit now means active later. :)
 
Hi ,im almost 11 days post-op,im having bladder issues,as in I think I might need Depends!Is this common after having a spinal?
 
Did you have a catheter? It could be something to do with the spinal, or it might be that you have a bladder infection. Either way, I think you should see your own doctor about it.
 
What are the bladder issues? If it's an incontinence problem, that does sometimes happen after surgery and it is usually a temporary problem. I didn't have the problem with my first knee, but I did with the second one. I did just as you suggested and wore some disposable panties for a couple of weeks to catch any leaky problems.

However.....if the problem is something other than this....like burning, urgency or pain then you definitely need to contact your GP and get checked. It is also possible to get a urinary tract infection if you had a catheter following surgery.

You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, you can change it by using the Thread Tools button at the top right of your screen or just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.
 
@cinrey I had urinary incontinence after my surgery. I've had stress incontinence for years, and just dealt with it by wearing pads every day. But this took me by surprise! It happened when I would stand up after lying down for a while. I seemed to have absolutely no control, and everything just started flowing out!:holysheep: I did get some adult diapers (like pull-ups) to wear overnight, and they've worked fine.

If it's an incontinence problem, that does sometimes happen after surgery and it is usually a temporary problem.
Bless you, @Jamie , I didn't know that; you've eased my mind greatly.:tree2;
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thx for bladder input,yes I did have a cath.,n o burning,it seems like I cant make it to the potty fast enough!I will address this matter monday for my post-op visit
 
I had a mild bladder infection that was discovered and treated pre-op, a foley catheter for surgery and x1day, then post-op "urgency" for the first few weeks that resolved on its own.
 
I have a pt and she is good. But I have to remind her. I cant bend like that. She kinda look at me like ok lol do it. But she finally pipe down some and is doing well with me.
Bending is my issue still. Ans I can't walk with out crutches. Walker scares me.


SonnysWife❤️
 
Hi,being a p.t x35 years myself Ive seen those aggressive p.t. 's-they want to see those numbers,meanwhile youre crying ,not good.I use a rolling walker with the seat for rest,and I love it!For me,crutches scare me!Hang in there,ther is light @ the end of this process
 
Hi,being a p.t x35 years myself Ive seen those aggressive p.t. 's-they want to see those numbers,meanwhile youre crying ,not good.I use a rolling walker with the seat for rest,and I love it!For me,crutches scare me!Hang in there,ther is light @ the end of this process




Thanks a lot. She is sweet though. Know my home care one is sweet. The reg pt at the hospital is tough. She said yA need to be and do this lol. But I know what I can do. My pt here sais do as you can. No more. Cause I don't wana Hurt you. Early days. Recovery is as you make it. I've seen some post wow there is no pain. Amd bending good and squat. I hope I can squat. Could not do good before. Would really love to be able to walk again. Love walk in park. Could not there before sugury. Cause knee was getting huge.
 
Youre right everyones journey is different,my ortho told me about his patient who had a replacement on a tuesday,back to work on the next monday!Well good for them,but ive limped in pain x 11 months so its highly doubtful ill be bouncing around soon!
 
@cinrey ..... haven't heard from you in a while. How are things going?
 
Youre right everyones journey is different,my ortho told me about his patient who had a replacement on a tuesday,back to work on the next monday!Well good for them,but ive limped in pain x 11 months so its highly doubtful ill be bouncing around soon!



Good for them. But ouch makes me hurt. I'm on feet for few min and then must set. II months wow. I hate that u still have pain. As I'm told hang in there.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmartFourm
❤️bfmasmommy
 
Hi-well Im 6 weeks post op from my pkr,I have good days,bad days!I feel as though I take 2 steps forward,then 3 backwards.I cant tolerate being mobile for too long,all my lower extremities ache,my hip is hurting as well(ive had cortisone injections before).I see the doctor today,however last time I saw the "nazi"p.a.-she says-"get rid of the cane,go to the gym"etc..-Im like B.. ,I cant even walk x1 block!She is also weird about pain meds,which yes Id like to get off of,however Im very uncomfortable ie w,bearing w/o them.Im tired of being in pain,Im not a happy camper ..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom