Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Long and Winding Road...To Recovery

Hi All!

Today was a pretty good day. Taking hydrocodone on schedule and that seems to work. Pain has mostly been from 3-5. Extension measured at 0 and flexion at 98 today. Going home tomorrow to rest, elevate and ice
Have a pleasant, pain free evening. P:SUNsmile:
Ruth
 
Glad you're doing well. Now the hardest part starts , Recovery!:yay::dancy: I'm 7 1/2 weeks post op bilateral and I'm trying to see a light at the end of the tunnel... everyone says there is one...I'm off pain meds, just some Tylenol when my right knee decides to ache.... Your extension and flexion is fantastic..you will be more comfortable at-home for sure! My husband had me a lift recliner waiting when I got home from the rehabilitation hospital...:wowspring::wowspring:???:wowspring:
 
Think the post op prior to surgery is stressful, I rested pretty good at the hospital also, and when I wanted to get more comfortable like I do at home on my side, they were very accomadating. I enjoyed the view, the nice large windows that let in the bright sunshine. I think the food was even good, although my appetite at the time left me when I had the surgery and I found for may weeks out, I wanted very little to eat at one time and often things didn't even taste that good. It's overall a nice hospital, small and comfy. You'll probably be going home soon, so let us know how things are going when your back home, take care thinking of you.
 
Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
It's been 2+ days since surgery and I've been in significant pain today. Taking 5mg hydrocodone/325 tylenol and it provides just some relief. Pain has been around 5-6 all day and goes to around 4 at rest. I have pain around knee...mostly aching but stingy as well. I've read all about different pain experiences here on the forum but I guess you don't get it until it happens to you. Thanks for listening. I know it will get better.
 
Stingy is a good word. Little buzzing stingeys happen a lot. It's nerves reconnecting, right? Which is a good thing, right? Sure.
 
Zingers. Ant bites. Ouchies.

Can you get your pain med regimen changed to get you down to a 3 or lower? My OS was insistent I keep it at a 3 and I appreciated and am convinced it helped me recover more quickly .


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@birdinger

I hope your pain is able to be managed successfully and soon! It's hard to know just what kind of pain you will have after surgery too because everyone is so different! I know mine has become much more tolerable and has become less achy and raw.

Keep on keepin' on!!

Jen
 
Can you get your pain med regimen changed to get you down to a 3 or lower? My OS was insistent I keep it at a 3 and I appreciated and am convinced it helped me recover more quickly .
I agree with shelliac.

Phone your surgeon and ask to have your pain medication reviewed, so that your pain levels decrease.
Also, do make sure that you are not being too active. The things your knee needs most right now are rest, ice and elevation.
 
Day 5 post surgery and things are going well. My script for meds (Norco 5 mg/Tylenol325) states 1-2 tabs every 4-6 hours. I have found the sweet spot where I get relief (1.5 tabs every five hours) and this seems to be working for now. I have been doing 5 minute walks around the house, minimal exercises, icing and elevating. My husband has been wonderful as a care giver and I feel blessed with that. My incision looks good. i haven't had a lot of swelling but areas of pink and warm skin to the side of the incision. I'm sure I'll have many questions in the days to come!
 
Good to hear! I'm so glad you've got the pain under control. Sounds like you are doing great. :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@birdinger

Recovery seems so much more possible with good pain relief, doesn't it! You are doing great!!!

Jen
 
Tomorrow will be one week since my RTKR. I'm doing well and adjusting to my new life/knee. Appetite good, pain and stiffness = up and down. Extension is better than flexion. Home RN said my incision looks great. She changed dressing today. I see my OS next Monday. I seem to be having issues with my pain meds. I was prescribed hydrocodone/acetaminophen (5/325) which seemed to be effective until last night. I had lots of trouble sleeping due to pain and awakenings. My CPAP data indicated significantly more obstructions than I have been having in the last three months. Does anyone else experience these disruptions with opiate pain meds?
 
Have you tried taking the fully prescribed dose of two pills at bedtime? Many find that they feel more pain during sleep than during the day. You might also want to use an ice wrap on your knee to sleep also.
 
I am sorry you are having a tough time getting the pain relief you need. I had the same problem. I am about a week ahead of you, and I take the same medicine that you do and I find that if I take the full dose (2 pills) every 5 hours my pain is controlled and I feel much better. Sometimes I need it in 4 hours and if I do I take it. I very seldom have to supplement with the oxy anymore. Hang in there. It will get better.
 
My CPAP data indicated significantly more obstructions than I have been having in the last three months. Does anyone else experience these disruptions with opiate pain meds?
Opiate medications can depress respiration, so that might be why you are having more disruptions.
 
I just realized it's been a while since I posted on my thread. Ten days to be exact. I have been dealing with issues around my 99 year old mother's decline in assisted living. Her assisted living facility is only a few miles from our house and prior to my TKR (Sept 27) I was visiting or running errands for her every other day. We had a care conference today and staff reports significant increase in her need for assistance and a high level of anxiety and concern over her own and my well being. We think she may be having mini strokes and we developed a plan of action to see if PT and OT might assist in increasing her level of independence. Always something!!
I seem to be doing well post surgery. I have been walking 2-3 blocks outside. We live across from a river and there is a paved path along the river. Very peaceful to walk. I use a walker outdoors and have tried a cane around the house. I have trouble using the cane in my left hand (doesn't feel stable) so may use a walking stick instead as I prefer the grip. My extension is almost 0 and home PT measured my bend at 85 the other day. I guess that works for 2 and a half weeks out. I will start outpatient therapy on Monday and will go twice a week.
I have followed your threads and you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Here's to a good week ahead for us all.:yahoo:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom